The Student Room Group

Can exams be sat externally?

I am currently sitting A2, the college have messed up a bit and are gambling our A2 grades on a first time teacher- I am not learning anything. Not only that but due to personal circumstances I am finding it hard to get into college. But I am aware the way A level exams are done is being changed, so I can't retake my A2 like I would have been able to before.

So i was thinking about sitting externally this year, I was just wondering how much it would cost? I am also guessing that there would be limited places I can go?

I do 3 A levels at the moment, Government and Politics (Edexcel) Law (OCR) and Citizenship (AQA)

So thats around.. 8 exams..
Yes you can sit them externally - you need to find an exam centre that accepts external applicants and register with them. The fees they charge will vary but you can find the cost of the examinations themselves online. I believe most exam boards have a facility on their websites which will allow you to search for schools and colleges near you which are likely to be able to help you.
You can enter for exams as a private candidate through any centre that is willing to take you.
While any school or college is allowed to accept private candidates, most don't because it's an admin hassle so yes there will be limited options for you and you will have to get on the phone to find them.
Typical fee is around £50 for each exam.
If there is coursework for any of those subjects that is very difficult to do privately.
My advice would be to stay in college and manage the difficulties you are faced with.
Original post by LaurenceJ96
I am currently sitting A2, the college have messed up a bit and are gambling our A2 grades on a first time teacher- I am not learning anything. Not only that but due to personal circumstances I am finding it hard to get into college. But I am aware the way A level exams are done is being changed, so I can't retake my A2 like I would have been able to before.

So i was thinking about sitting externally this year, I was just wondering how much it would cost? I am also guessing that there would be limited places I can go?

I do 3 A levels at the moment, Government and Politics (Edexcel) Law (OCR) and Citizenship (AQA)

So thats around.. 8 exams..

Hello
Yes you can sit exams externally and it doesn't matter whether you are doing 8. But remember the is a big risk of doing 8 externally as you do know you still have to sit them in school. Moreover if you for example sit OCR Law in sixth form/college, you cannot sit this same one at the exam center it will be a totally different exam board i.e. AQA or Edexcel. This will make it very hard for you as you will have to revise for 2 different exam boards due to the specs being different.

Quick Reply

Latest