The Student Room Group

I've chosen the wrong levels too late?

Ok guys, I chose maths, physics, further maths and history for a level but I really want to do medicine, there are many solid reasons for this. Firstly, I realised that I prefer the sciences over maths, I want to care for people and I am interested in changing people's lives. However, I can't really change my a levels anymore I think, especially since it has been two and a half months since I started them. So what can I do now? I'm stuck
Reply 1
Bump
Go to a uni which offers medicine with an extra foundation year for people who couldn't get into traditional medicine. In your case because you took the wrong a levels. There are a handful of uni's you could apply to. You just need to find them. Dont worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Frappé
Go to a uni which offers medicine with an extra foundation year for people who couldn't get into traditional medicine. In your case because you took the wrong a levels. There are a handful of uni's you could apply to. You just need to find them. Dont worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Original post by Trapz99
Ok guys, I chose maths, physics, further maths and history for a level but I really want to do medicine, there are many solid reasons for this. Firstly, I realised that I prefer the sciences over maths, I want to care for people and I am interested in changing people's lives. However, I can't really change my a levels anymore I think, especially since it has been two and a half months since I started them. So what can I do now? I'm stuck

Options:
1) Check with your school, it may not be too late, especially if you provide evidence you can work hard in Chemistry (Biology too?). Hopefully you got A*s in Science GCSEs, because that would strengthen your case.
2) Next year start lower sixth again, take appropriate AS Levels, maybe finish your Maths A Level. Then apply to uni a year later than usual.
3) Foundation courses, although be aware whilst a few unis offer these, top top Russel Groups don't.
4) Maybe a college would take you on now.

Good luck!
Speak to your head of sixth form (or college equivalent) asap.

It isn't too late to change (probably), it will just be very hard work catching up over Christmas.

But do it now....:run:
Original post by SupermanCharlie
Options:
1) Check with your school, it may not be too late, especially if you provide evidence you can work hard in Chemistry (Biology too?). Hopefully you got A*s in Science GCSEs, because that would strengthen your case.
2) Next year start lower sixth again, take appropriate AS Levels, maybe finish your Maths A Level. Then apply to uni a year later than usual.
3) Foundation courses, although be aware whilst a few unis offer these, top top Russel Groups don't.
4) Maybe a college would take you on now.

Good luck!

Just as well Russel group doesn't mean anything in medicine. A foundation course still leads to the exact same medicine degree.
Original post by Trapz99

Have you done any work experience in medicine? There are plenty of ways, and careers, to help people, how do you know medicine is the one for you?
Original post by ForestCat
Just as well Russel group doesn't mean anything in medicine. A foundation course still leads to the exact same medicine degree.

I totally agree, but it's just something to bear in mind, in case ts was looking at Russel Group. Chillax!
Reply 9
Original post by Trapz99

talk to your head of sixth form, in my opinion it is definitely not too late to swap one of your subjects to biology. If it was all of them fair enough but only one would be fine especially because your on the new specification where you have 2 years before your exams instead of one year, just do loads of work over christmas and you'll be fine
Actually, I am going to do a foundation year too after my A-levels due to the same reasons as OP and extenuating circumstances. Here are the Russell Group universities that offer foundation year medicine:

Manchester university
Cardiff university
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield

However, with a degree such as medicine, it is not as 'important' to go to a Russell Group university. There are about 4/5 more universities that are not part of the Russell Group who offer the foundation year course.
Original post by defnotthatgirl
Actually, I am going to do a foundation year too after my A-levels due to the same reasons as OP and extenuating circumstances. Here are the Russell Group universities that offer foundation year medicine:

Manchester university
Cardiff university
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield

However, with a degree such as medicine, it is not as 'important' to go to a Russell Group university. There are about 4/5 more universities that are not part of the Russell Group who offer the foundation year course.

It is really not 'important' at all to go to a Russell group. It is far more important to get in to medical school at all, and thus you have to apply strategically.
Original post by defnotthatgirl

Manchester university
Cardiff university
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield

King's College? Not sure if it's in the Russel group but it is one of the top uni's i'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending