The Student Room Group

Stop quoting net immigration benefits and only admit contributors!

i get so fed up of hearing the same thing every time:

"there was a study proving immigration provides a net contribution"

Well firstly, if you read the study carefully it:

-Doesn't even consider the impact of immigrants on housing, schools, healthcare, transport (and pretty much every other ****ing important thing)

-Secondly, the actual "benefit" was something like £20bn over 15 years. So we increased the population by 3% to gain £1.3bn a year..... great!

Now engage your brain and consider this:

Only admit immigrants who are either high earners (and will commit to pay tax here) or highly-skilled (including NHS workers).........

It will reduce the numbers of immigration significantly and any increased usage on public services is funded by their taxes and this skilled person is also assisting our economy (and I don't mean by pouring cups of coffee in Starbucks).

How could anybody economically disagree with this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by billydisco

-Doesn't even consider the impact of immigrants on housing, schools, healthcare, transport (and pretty much every other ****ing important thing)

-Secondly, the actual "benefit" was something like £20bn over 15 years. So we increased the population by 3% to gain £1.3bn a year..... great!

Only admit immigrants who are either high earners (and will commit to pay tax here) or highly-skilled (including NHS workers).........

It will reduce the numbers of immigration significantly and any increased usage on public services is funded by their taxes and this skilled person is also assisting our economy (and I don't mean by pouring cups of coffee in Starbucks).

But aren't those high skilled immigrants taking jobs from more deserving Brits? Why can't firms in Britain be forced to employ natives? They do in lots of other places.
Reply 2
Original post by Maker
But aren't those high skilled immigrants taking jobs from more deserving Brits? Why can't firms in Britain be forced to employ natives? They do in lots of other places.

So you need heart surgery and you'd rather a Brit perform it because the best cardiovascular surgeon in the world wasn't allowed to move here?
Reply 3
So you need heart surgery and you'd rather a Brit perform it because the best cardiovascular surgeon in the world wasn't allowed to move here?

I'll take the risk to keep out immigrants. Farage said he would rather have less prosperity and keep out foreigners.
i agree with what OP is trying to say, but i have a question and a couple of points to make.
How do we determine if someone is a contributor or is highly skilled prior to them coming here? What passes for highly skilled in one place may not in another, an opinion may vary from person to person.
And we should not let people in based on the amount of money they have. Having lots of money does not mean that they are more or less likely to pay their taxes than any other person, so as a criterion for immigration it is insufficient.
Original post by an_atheist
i agree with what OP is trying to say, but i have a question and a couple of points to make.
How do we determine if someone is a contributor or is highly skilled prior to them coming here? What passes for highly skilled in one place may not in another, an opinion may vary from person to person.
And we should not let people in based on the amount of money they have. Having lots of money does not mean that they are more or less likely to pay their taxes than any other person, so as a criterion for immigration it is insufficient.

Well plenty of other counties manage it, including Canada and Australia. Take the points system for example. Canada regularly updates a list of skill shortages they have and you get more points if your profession is on there.
Reply 6
Original post by an_atheist

You do realise we implement what I suggested already, except its only for non-EU immigrants? I am simply saying extend this to EU immigrants too (i.e. leave the EU).
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
I'll take the risk to keep out immigrants. Farage said he would rather have less prosperity and keep out foreigners.

No Farage did not say that! Farage was implying, like I did, its not worth admitting 5 million Romanians to simply increase GDP by £1bn a year.
Reply 8
No Farage did not say that! Farage was implying, like I did, its not worth admitting 5 million Romanians to simply increase GDP by £1bn a year.

I'm sure Farage is right.
Original post by Maker

Shockingly, he often is.
Reply 10

I see your point but I don't agree with all of it. I'm a skilled worker myself and make a pretty tidy living. Personally, I don't want more skilled workers flooding the country (Canada in my case) and driving down my salary.

It's all very well you talking about NHS workers but their salaries and benefits are protected by unions. People like me who work in the private sector have no such protection and are at the mercy of market forces. The last thing I want is hundreds of qualified competitors driving down my hourly rate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11

Well, the best cardio-vascular surgeon in the world is hardly likely to want to move to the UK and work for the NHS when he can move to California and bring in $5 million a year. Just saying.
Reply 12
Original post by Maker

I'm not saying he's wrong? However, Farage was not saying ban immigration completely. He advocates controlled immigration- i.e. only admit those who would be extremely useful to our country.
Reply 13
Original post by Howard
It's all very well you talking about NHS workers but their salaries and benefits are protected by unions. People like me who work in the private sector have no such protection and are at the mercy of market forces. The last thing I want is hundreds of qualified competitors driving down my hourly rate.

I don't disagree- my point is we should only be admitting AMAZING individuals, like mentioned earlier- best cardiovascular surgeons, amazing scientists/researchers etc.

I'm not saying admit anybody with a degree who will earn £30,000. The numbers of the people I am referring to would be extremely small.
Reply 14
I don't disagree- my point is we should only be admitting AMAZING individuals, like mentioned earlier- best cardiovascular surgeons, amazing scientists/researchers etc.

I'm not saying admit anybody with a degree who will earn £30,000. The numbers of the people I am referring to would be extremely small.

But truly AMAZING individuals don't want to come to the UK. They can go to the US and make ten times as much.
Repeal the racist Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and basically set a yearly cap on the number of immigrants, say 100,00 a year or so, 50,000 from commonwealth countries and 50,000 from EU countries. That way you open immigration to countries with British institutions without walling the country off from the EU altogether.
Reply 16
Original post by Lardeedahdeedah
Repeal the racist Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and basically set a yearly cap on the number of immigrants, say 100,00 a year or so, 50,000 from commonwealth countries and 50,000 from EU countries. That way you open immigration to countries with British institutions without walling the country off from the EU altogether.

I can't say I care whether they come from the commonwealth or not.

(I can say there is one particular culture I would rather see less of)
Reply 17
I can't say I care whether they come from the commonwealth or not.

(I can say there is one particular culture I would rather see less of)

I think immigration should be banned by default, with the following exceptions:
- students.
- immigrants who have found a 25K job.
- immigrants who will bring at least 500K in capital.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker

Well then he, like you, is an idiot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Well then he, like you, is an idiot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is he an idiot?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending