The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone else trying to convince themselves that the required tests are probably meaningless ? :P
Original post by tamara98
Is anyone else trying to convince themselves that the required tests are probably meaningless ? :P

I hope not, it's my only ticket to an interview lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have any tips...I'm getting desperate here :':wink:
Good luck to you too !

My tips:
- Don't waste time reading all 6 passages. Flick through them and settle on the 2/3 you like best. If you don't understand one of them then pick an alternative.

- Make sure you thoroughly plan out your essay. (This is SO important unless you're a literary genius) because you're getting marked on how you write as well as what you write. A-Level English may have taught us what to write, but the examiners for the ELAT will also be grading us on our writing style. So make sure your essay is well structured.

- I think it's better to analyse two texts as opposed to three because you'll have more time to focus on detail and really hone your analysis. Remember that it's quality that'll get you a good score, not quantity. (An essay with 4 paragraphs in the main body + intro + conclusion is decent enough.)
[But, then again, my best friend did the ELAT last year and got 54/60 and she picked three texts so it really is up to you.]

- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Give fresh interpretations instead of the generic ideas they spoonfeed us at school. (E.g. if the poem is about a bird taking flight then it's alright to link it to freedom (everyone will probably pick up on that). But offer more than one reading: birds are small creatures so the narrator might be shrinking themselves to fit into a smaller stature in the same way that people shrink themselves to fit into society. As a result of this metamorphosis, and on a deeper level, the poem is not really about freedom. It's about conformity and how this restricts people from /really/ taking flight. etc, etc, etc.) Then link it to context, blah blah blah... and you'll have a killer paragraph :wink:

- Remember that everyone you're up against knows what a simile and metaphor is, so don't be afraid to flaunt all the other terminology you know. (E.g. instead of repetition you can be more specific and say that it's an anaphora or anadiplosis.)

- And don't be afraid if you don't understand the passage too well. As long as you get the gist of then you can't go too wrong. Make sure you use the given theme to help you if you don't know what you want to write about and then the rest of your essay can be a spin-off to that :smile:

- If you're short on time then finish the paragraph off and write your conclusion. Don't leave your essay hanging if you want to score in the highest band.

I'm sure you'll do well. Just relax and enjoy it and go all out when it comes to your interpretations. :console:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Pretty much, yeah.
One question to the international applicants planning to attend an interview personally in case of getting one: Are you thinking about booking a flight just in case? Because I am not really sure.. What if I am invited and then don't get a flight anymore? But otherwise when I am not invited and I have a flight...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'm taking the risk of not booking a flight - single seats aren't hard to grab last minute.
Original post by scblx
One question to the international applicants planning to attend an interview personally in case of getting one: Are you thinking about booking a flight just in case? Because I am not really sure.. What if I am invited and then don't get a flight anymore? But otherwise when I am not invited and I have a flight...

I booked my flight already, though my course (Music) interviews around 80% of applicants. It cost me 100 pounds, but I checked the flights again yesterday and they had gone up to 270 pounds. If I don't get an interview, I'll visit my brother, who's at uni :P
Original post by scblx
I sent an email and said that if I'm shortlisted, I won't be able to travel (I live in the Middle East).
Original post by Princepieman
I hope not, it's my only ticket to an interview lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
And you WILL get it !
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
My tips:
- Don't waste time reading all 6 passages. Flick through them and settle on the 2/3 you like best. If you don't understand one of them then pick an alternative.

- Make sure you thoroughly plan out your essay. (This is SO important unless you're a literary genius) because you're getting marked on how you write as well as what you write. A-Level English may have taught us what to write, but the examiners for the ELAT will also be grading us on our writing style. So make sure your essay is well structured.

- I think it's better to analyse two texts as opposed to three because you'll have more time to focus on detail and really hone your analysis. Remember that it's quality that'll get you a good score, not quantity. (An essay with 4 paragraphs in the main body + intro + conclusion is decent enough.)
[But, then again, my best friend did the ELAT last year and got 54/60 and she picked three texts so it really is up to you.]

- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Give fresh interpretations instead of the generic ideas they spoonfeed us at school. (E.g. if the poem is about a bird taking flight then it's alright to link it to freedom (everyone will probably pick up on that). But offer more than one reading: birds are small creatures so the narrator might be shrinking themselves to fit into a smaller stature in the same way that people shrink themselves to fit into society. As a result of this metamorphosis, and on a deeper level, the poem is not really about freedom. It's about conformity and how this restricts people from /really/ taking flight. etc, etc, etc.) Then link it to context, blah blah blah... and you'll have a killer paragraph :wink:

- Remember that everyone you're up against knows what a simile and metaphor is, so don't be afraid to flaunt all the other terminology you know. (E.g. instead of repetition you can be more specific and say that it's an anaphora or anadiplosis.)

- And don't be afraid if you don't understand the passage too well. As long as you get the gist of then you can't go too wrong. Make sure you use the given theme to help you if you don't know what you want to write about and then the rest of your essay can be a spin-off to that :smile:

- If you're short on time then finish the paragraph off and write your conclusion. Don't leave your essay hanging if you want to score in the highest band.

I'm sure you'll do well. Just relax and enjoy it and go all out when it comes to your interpretations. :console:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR THIS !
I was thinking of comparing two similar texts and contrast them with a third one that would be majorly different, but again I'll see on Wednesday. I'm used to that exercise in French so doing it in English is a bit daunting. I know my technical terms perfectly well but please don't tell me they give extra points for pointing out zeugmas :')
Have you been practicing with past papers ? It's so lovely to see a fellow English applicant that understands how daunting the test is without feeling absolutely unprepared !
Original post by scblx

Yes, I'm planning on booking a flight in advance.

One question for everyone: will I get rejected if one of my written works is related to national literature writer that is also a Nobel prize winner?! Does it even matter? :/
Original post by Omni Vanitas
I booked my flight already, though my course (Music) interviews around 80% of applicants. It cost me 100 pounds, but I checked the flights again yesterday and they had gone up to 270 pounds. If I don't get an interview, I'll visit my brother, who's at uni :P

That makes sense. Well, for my course only 45% are shortlisted, so it would be a big risk and I know nobody in England (and I wouldn't be allowed to go if I didn't get an interview, I have school exams at this time) So I really don't know..
Original post by scblx
That makes sense. Well, for my course only 45% are shortlisted, so it would be a big risk and I know nobody in England (and I wouldn't be allowed to go if I didn't get an interview, I have school exams at this time) So I really don't know..

Ahh ok!
I sent an email and said that if I'm shortlisted, I won't be able to travel (I live in the Middle East).

Oh okay, so that's another case then.. I will have to go there if I am invited because I live in Germany (I understand why it is required.. I mean Frankfurt- London is about an hour flight :biggrin:) But it is just complicated because I don't know if there will be still flights available when I book after an interview invitation..
I sent an email and said that if I'm shortlisted, I won't be able to travel (I live in the Middle East).And you WILL get it !

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH FOR THIS !
I was thinking of comparing two similar texts and contrast them with a third one that would be majorly different, but again I'll see on Wednesday. I'm used to that exercise in French so doing it in English is a bit daunting. I know my technical terms perfectly well but please don't tell me they give extra points for pointing out zeugmas :':wink:
Have you been practicing with past papers ? It's so lovely to see a fellow English applicant that understands how daunting the test is without feeling absolutely unprepared !

You're welcome! :smile: I know what you mean. It definitely is daunting.

I did three papers back in September just to get a feel of the exam. I've also annotated and planned essays for all the other past ELAT papers but I'm too lazy to do any more essay practice. I've always hated planning (I like to freestyle my way through essays haha), so I've been working on that mostly.
Original post by scblx
Oh okay, so that's another case then.. I will have to go there if I am invited because I live in Germany (I understand why it is required.. I mean Frankfurt- London is about an hour flight :biggrin:) But it is just complicated because I don't know if there will be still flights available when I book after an interview invitation..

Yes, there should be. As tehtarik said, single seats will always be available. Bear in mind though that last minute bookings are often more expensive.
Original post by Nancy97
One question for everyone: will I get rejected if one of my written works is related to national literature writer that is also a Nobel prize winner?! Does it even matter? :/

Can't see how that would cause you to get rejected!

Sorry I can't answer your other question. I have no idea what the correct thing to do in your case is but if you really can't find out, err on the side of caution and send both the mother-tongue and English language versions :yes:
Good luck to everyone with tests next week!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by james3254
I got an email from Kings (3 days ago) asking for the LNAT ID the same, and i asked if my application hadnt linked properly etc but they said it was just to make sure they had everyone's in case there were any issues.

Also, according the the LNAT website, the first batch of results have only gone out recently to the universities for early test takers -

"Starting on 21 October, the first batch of LNAT scores (tests taken between 1 September to 20 October) are released to the universities. After that date, within 24 hours of finishing your LNAT, Pearson VUE will make your LNAT score and essay available to your chosen university or universities. They will see your score before you do."

So i wouldn't worry about it as they may have only just received the results anyway, and besides, if your other LNAT unis haven't asked i think it'll be fine :smile:

Okay, thank you! I feel a little less worried now :smile:
The written shouldn't exceed 2000 words right? Is this inclusive of the question/title? This is for English Language and Literature.
Reply 4018
Original post by georgiaf
hi, just wondering if there is an ELAT thread too? if you know of it, could you paste the link pls? sry! x

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2863141

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Can't see how that would cause you to get rejected!

Sorry I can't answer your other question. I have no idea what the correct thing to do in your case is but if you really can't find out, err on the side of caution and send both the mother-tongue and English language versions :yes:

I don't know, that idea suddenly came to my mind out of nowhere. Probably because topics in my written essays may stand out in terms of being unusual for a written work, haha. :biggrin:

Yup, I am going to send both versions, just in case. Thank you! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending