The Student Room Group

Distance Learning - Help!

Hi,

I've been looking into home education and distance learning. I was wondering if anyone out there has done A Levels online and have been successful, and what your opinions on it are? Also the best places to go. I want to do English, History and Psychology AQA.

I'm nervous I won't be able to do the A Levels on my own.

Thank you!
Original post by ameliarosexo
Hi,

I've been looking into home education and distance learning. I was wondering if anyone out there has done A Levels online and have been successful, and what your opinions on it are? Also the best places to go. I want to do English, History and Psychology AQA.

Thank you!

I didn't take my A-Levels online but I self-taught History, Psychology, Sociology and RS AQA and came out with ACCU. Could I help you?
Original post by undine_monty
I didn't take my A-Levels online but I self-taught History, Psychology, Sociology and RS AQA and came out with ACCU. Could I help you?

That would actually be great! So I'm wondering mostly whether I can actually do it. I'm a little nervous that doing it from home without a physical person telling me what to do will cause me to fail? Did you feel like that when you did yours?

However I wasn't in school for year 10 and was only on part timetable for year 11 (I only went in for a few lessons and exams) and still managed to teach myself and come out with pretty good GCSEs.
That would actually be great! So I'm wondering mostly whether I can actually do it. I'm a little nervous that doing it from home without a physical person telling me what to do will cause me to fail? Did you feel like that when you did yours?

However I wasn't in school for year 10 and was only on part timetable for year 11 (I only went in for a few lessons and exams) and still managed to teach myself and come out with pretty good GCSEs.

If you could teach yourself for GCSE, with a little more effort, you can do the same for AS. It's a lot harder though. You need to have the resources though. Textbooks, revision guides, past papers, proper exam structures. If you need help with anything not in your books or anything, look online. You will get the help you need.

I spent about 2 months in year 12 at a sixth form and I hated it. I never really focused in class or understood most of the work so I always ended up having to teach myself, go over the context on my own so the transition to just teaching myself completely after I left, it wasn't that difficult.

I was nervous though. Only when I really thought about the consequences of not having an actuaI teacher/tutor. It was a scary transition from always having one to check my work. But with the help of textbooks and revision guides, I understood what I was doing.

You should constantly be doing practise papers to check your knowledge and practise how to answer the questions properly. I know that if I did this, I would've gotten better grades, especially in Psychology.

Psychology was my favourite subject, I absolutely loved it and I thought the two papers were my best out of all of my papers in the exams. I came out with a D, remarked to a C. I literally knew everything in the exam but my exam structure wasn't good. I wasn't answering the questions properly even though I knew the information. Now that I have started A2 Psychology, I've looked into better resources and I have seen books that focus on how to answer the exam questions specifically. I recommend you buy one of those along with the textbooks etc.

Also look into 'loopa psychology'. This guy has 12 mark question answers for all the topics in AS and A2. All you have to do is memorise them. He got A stars for both AS and A2 Psych. I wish I had used the templates.

You should be revising throughout the school year so you don't forget what your learn. You could make flashcards to help with your memory retention by trying to retrieve the information after you've learnt it. I use Quizlet. I've been using it since my GCSEs. It's a online flashcard maker thing.

I don't know how the process works for taking the exams with distance learning but I had to register at an exam centre as a private candidate. It was not cheap and the deadline to register for the exams is in February 2016 (if you're registering that way).

Good luck :tongue:
Original post by undine_monty
If you could teach yourself for GCSE, with a little more effort, you can do the same for AS. It's a lot harder though. You need to have the resources though. Textbooks, revision guides, past papers, proper exam structures. If you need help with anything not in your books or anything, look online. You will get the help you need.

I spent about 2 months in year 12 at a sixth form and I hated it. I never really focused in class or understood most of the work so I always ended up having to teach myself, go over the context on my own so the transition to just teaching myself completely after I left, it wasn't that difficult.

I was nervous though. Only when I really thought about the consequences of not having an actuaI teacher/tutor. It was a scary transition from always having one to check my work. But with the help of textbooks and revision guides, I understood what I was doing.

You should constantly be doing practise papers to check your knowledge and practise how to answer the questions properly. I know that if I did this, I would've gotten better grades, especially in Psychology.

Psychology was my favourite subject, I absolutely loved it and I thought the two papers were my best out of all of my papers in the exams. I came out with a D, remarked to a C. I literally knew everything in the exam but my exam structure wasn't good. I wasn't answering the questions properly even though I knew the information. Now that I have started A2 Psychology, I've looked into better resources and I have seen books that focus on how to answer the exam questions specifically. I recommend you buy one of those along with the textbooks etc.

Also look into 'loopa psychology'. This guy has 12 mark question answers for all the topics in AS and A2. All you have to do is memorise them. He got A stars for both AS and A2 Psych. I wish I had used the templates.

You should be revising throughout the school year so you don't forget what your learn. You could make flashcards to help with your memory retention by trying to retrieve the information after you've learnt it. I use Quizlet. I've been using it since my GCSEs. It's a online flashcard maker thing.

I don't know how the process works for taking the exams with distance learning but I had to register at an exam centre as a private candidate. It was not cheap and the deadline to register for the exams is in February 2016 (if you're registering that way).

Good luck :tongue:

Thank you so so much for this! It means a lot, I'll definitely start looking into that more. Maybe I could do two online courses and one self taught or something like that, so it's less money to pay as online courses are about £350 each.
Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi,

Thank you!

Hello! I'm in the same boat and I feel the same way. I'm starting tomorrow, I'll enrol through Oxford Learning College. I'm going to be studying Psychology, Math, Law and English Language and Lit. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to do it. That's why I've joined the student room, to find people like me who are distant learners who can maybe help and give tips. I've never done it before, I've been shoved into the French system for a couple years now and it hasn't done me any favour so I decided to teach myself things and get back into the English world. It's nice to meet someone who's a distant learner like me.
Original post by Denisia18
Hello! I'm in the same boat and I feel the same way. I'm starting tomorrow, I'll enrol through Oxford Learning College. I'm going to be studying Psychology, Math, Law and English Language and Lit. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to do it. That's why I've joined the student room, to find people like me who are distant learners who can maybe help and give tips. I've never done it before, I've been shoved into the French system for a couple years now and it hasn't done me any favour so I decided to teach myself things and get back into the English world. It's nice to meet someone who's a distant learner like me.

It's kind of scary, huh? I tried college and sixth form and they really weren't working for me, so my mum said she'd pay for me to do an online course. I think we're going for absorb, we're going to be contacting them tomorrow. I think if you try hard and keep focused on your studies you'll do fine :smile: Good luck!
Reply 7
It's kind of scary, huh? I tried college and sixth form and they really weren't working for me, so my mum said she'd pay for me to do an online course. I think we're going for absorb, we're going to be contacting them tomorrow. I think if you try hard and keep focused on your studies you'll do fine :smile: Good luck!

Very scary, I'm scared that I won't learn everything on time or at all more than the exams. Is that strange? But i also think it's just in my head and I just have to do my best and not worry about anything else.
the transition from French back to English will be challenging.

Why are you starting so late ?
Original post by Denisia18
Very scary, I'm scared that I won't learn everything on time or at all more than the exams. Is that strange? But i also think it's just in my head and I just have to do my best and not worry about anything else.
the transition from French back to English will be challenging.

Why are you starting so late ?

I started college in September but didn't enjoy it so stopped, so I'm doing an online course now instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending