The Student Room Group

Another maths question...

hi, so i got a to be 1.4 cm but somehow i cant find b? any ideaS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by User23

How you get 1.4 for a?
Original post by S27
What did you get for a?

you just quoted it
Reply 3
Original post by S27
How you get 1.4 for a?

so i found out the areas of the two right angled triangles so triangle 1 had an area of 12.5cm2 and triangle 2 had an area of 9cm2. so i minused the two areas to get the area of the triangle between them that contains the unknown height 'a'. then i did b x h /2. Knowing that the base is 5cm i did 5h=7, h gave me 1.4.
Reply 4
Use a similar logic for the triangle on the right. If you can the height of that triangle you can get b easily.

@user23 The right angle trinagle is 12.5cm2, and then use the area of the triangle you just found
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by S27
Use a similar logic for the triangle on the right. If you can the height of that triangle you can get b easily.

@user23 The right angle trinagle is 12.5cm2, and then use the area of the triangle you just found

so would b be 3.8 cm??
I found equations for the triangle with a right angle at the bottom left corner and the triangle with a right angle at the bottom right corner. Didn't get the same answer though :l.
Reply 7
Original post by Craig1998
I found equations for the triangle with a right angle at the bottom left corner and the triangle with a right angle at the bottom right corner. Didn't get the same answer though :l.

what did you get??
Reply 8
Original post by User23
so would b be 3.8 cm??

By using this logic I think so :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by S27
By using this logic I think so :smile:

ok thankss x
Original post by User23

use pythagorus theory
Reply 11
Original post by User23
ok thankss x

Everyone is throwing me into doubt now :
:s-smilie:
Original post by User23
what did you get??

I got a as 5/3.
Reply 13
I got a as 5/3.

are you in year 12?
Original post by User23
are you in year 12?

Nope. Year 13.
Reply 15
Nope. Year 13.

Oh cool but you're 17 right...?
Original post by User23
Oh cool but you're 17 right...?

Mhm, I do maths, further maths and psychology at A2. What are you doing?
Reply 17
Mhm, I do maths, further maths and psychology at A2. What are you doing?

Well I'm in year 11 but I want to do maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. What did you drop?
Original post by User23
Well I'm in year 11 but I want to do maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. What did you drop?

Chemistry. I originally intended to just do psychology at AS, then continue with the three (more) academic subjects to A2. However, chemistry was absolutely awful after the first unit. Hence the weird choice of A2 subjects :biggrin:.
Reply 19
Chemistry. I originally intended to just do psychology at AS, then continue with the three (more) academic subjects to A2. However, chemistry was absolutely awful after the first unit. Hence the weird choice of A2 subjects :biggrin:.

Wow, is chemistry that bad?

Quick Reply

Latest