Reply 1
Original post by TwiMaster
I've been assigned a question that my class hasn't really done much work on

This is the question:

Photo 01-11-2015, 18 14 28.jpg

This is what I have done so far - I doubt it's correct though

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

the first can be done be a simple algebraic manipulation or L'Hospital Rule (limit is -1/9)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
the first can be done be a simple algebraic manipulation or L'Hospital Rule (limit is -1/9)

My lecturer wants us to only use the limit laws to find the limit and then we actually have to prove it
Reply 3
My lecturer wants us to only use the limit laws to find the limit and then we actually have to prove it

I am using rules/laws of limits but then again I do not know what you lecturer might be referring to.
I certainly not using epsilon-delta techniques in those 2 limits and I doubt (though not 100%) that this is what he is asking for here.
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I am using rules/laws of limits but then again I do not know what you lecturer might be referring to.
I certainly not using epsilon-delta techniques in those 2 limits and I doubt (though not 100%) that this is what he is asking for here.

Oh okay, I think it would be fine anyway as long as the laws are used & it's proven to be correct
Reply 5
Oh okay, I think it would be fine anyway as long as the laws are used & it's proven to be correct

the second one diverges, clearly seen if written as (3x+8)/(x+2) and think of it as the vertical asymptote of a curve

In the first one, rewrite it as

(1/x -1/3)/(x-3)

then either use L'Hospital Rule directly

or

simplify the numerator, remove the singularity, to end up with -1/(3x) which gives -1/9
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
the second one diverges, clearly seen if written as (3x+8)/(x+2) and think of it as the vertical asymptote of a curve

In the first one, rewrite it as

(1/x -1/3)/(x-3)

then either use L'Hospital Rule directly

or

simplify the numerator, remove the singularity, to end up with -1/(3x) which gives -1/9

yup I've managed to get lim -1/3x. Wouldn't this be the same as lim -1 / lim 3x
Reply 7
yup I've managed to get lim -1/3x. Wouldn't this be the same as lim -1 / lim 3x

it is indeed
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
it is indeed

Thanks - the question also says that we need to state why we're allowed to use a specific limit law. Are there any special conditions?
Reply 9
Thanks - the question also says that we need to state why we're allowed to use a specific limit law. Are there any special conditions?

I am an applied mathematician so not sure from a pure point of viw what exactly they mean, given I have not attended your lectures.

Do they mean rules such as Lim(f+g) = Lim(f )+ Lim(g)?

or do they mean epsilon techniques.

my advice is to wait for a purist just in case they can suggest something further.
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
I am an applied mathematician so not sure from a pure point of viw what exactly they mean, given I have not attended your lectures.

Do they mean rules such as Lim(f+g) = Lim(f )+ Lim(g)?

or do they mean epsilon techniques.

my advice is to wait for a purist just in case they can suggest something further.

yes, but in this case it would be lim (f/g) = lim (f)/ lim (g) that's being used but okay, hopefully a purist comes along
Reply 11
yes, but in this case it would be lim (f/g) = lim (f)/ lim (g) that's being used but okay, hopefully a purist comes along

sure
that was an example (no addition of limits was used of course)
This is what I have done so far - I doubt it's correct thoughAt the point where you had limx33x3x(x3)\lim_{x \to 3}\dfrac{3-x}{3x(x-3)} you should simply cancel down to get limx313x\lim_{x \to 3} \dfrac{-1}{3x}.

From here you should be able to simply finish using the laws you've been given about things like "the limit of a quotient = the quotient of the limits".

Similarly in the 2nd case you can simply rewrite the limit as

limx23x+8x+2\lim_{x \to -2} \dfrac{3x+8}{x+2} and again I would expect the limit laws you have would enable you to finish.

Perhaps the most important thing to realise here is that if you are asked to find limxaf(x)\lim_{x \to a} f(x), where f is some complicated function, then you can do whatever simplification you want to f without affecting the limit. This doesn't require any limit laws, since you're not actually changing f, just "writing it in a different way".

If you want more specific help you will need to post exactly what example 3.2, Theorem 3.6 etc. are.

I don't see how you can possibly use L'Hoptial etc. unless it is one of the named theorems you've been told you can use.
Reply 13
Original post by DFranklin
At the point where you had limx33x3x(x3)\lim_{x \to 3}\dfrac{3-x}{3x(x-3)} you should simply cancel down to get limx313x\lim_{x \to 3} \dfrac{-1}{3x}.

From here you should be able to simply finish using the laws you've been given about things like "the limit of a quotient = the quotient of the limits".

Similarly in the 2nd case you can simply rewrite the limit as

limx23x+8x+2\lim_{x \to -2} \dfrac{3x+8}{x+2} and again I would expect the limit laws you have would enable you to finish.

Perhaps the most important thing to realise here is that if you are asked to find limxaf(x)\lim_{x \to a} f(x), where f is some complicated function, then you can do whatever simplification you want to f without affecting the limit. This doesn't require any limit laws, since you're not actually changing f, just "writing it in a different way".

If you want more specific help you will need to post exactly what example 3.2, Theorem 3.6 etc. are.

I don't see how you can possibly use L'Hoptial etc. unless it is one of the named theorems you've been told you can use.

Ah thanks! I've simplified it to -1/3x and now this is what I'm left with:

Photo 01-11-2015, 22 14 26.jpg
Ah thanks! I've simplified it to -1/3x and now this is what I'm left with:

Photo 01-11-2015, 22 14 26.jpg
I really think you need to post exactly what the theorems are that you're allowed to use. It's impossible to expect us to guess what you are / are not allowed to do.
Reply 15
Original post by DFranklin
I really think you need to post exactly what the theorems are that you're allowed to use. It's impossible to expect us to guess what you are / are not allowed to do.

Oh okay, never mind that question anyway. Are you familiar with squeeze theorem? I've also been asked to prove that sin3x/2x = 3/2 using this theorem but i'm not exactly sure how

Quick Reply

Latest