The Student Room Group

Advice!

I'm a PG student and although I'm friendly, include everyone in conversations and spend a lot of time speaking to people, people don't take me seriously in groups and I often get left behind.

Help. How do I get people to show me as much respect as I show them?
Hiya,

Going to move this over to our dedicated PG forums.

Cheers :smile:
How do you know they don't take you seriously and why do you feel left behind? At this level it is more important for you to get the most our of your course and learn as much as possible and not worry about what others think or are doing.
Are you referring to group work situations?
Reply 4
Original post by studentatbristol
I'm a PG student and although I'm friendly, include everyone in conversations and spend a lot of time speaking to people, people don't take me seriously in groups and I often get left behind.

Help. How do I get people to show me as much respect as I show them?

Are you referring to social or academic situations?
Original post by sj27
Are you referring to social or academic situations?

Both for some reason
Reply 6
Original post by studentatbristol
Both for some reason

Hmm...socially it's hard to say without knowing you or the others. Do you know if any of the group has longer history together - maybe it's just hard breaking into old friendships?

Academically - from my experience the people who tended to get brushed off were those who clearly hadn't done the reading, those who said things for the sake of saying something without contributing, and those who wanted to talk at length to show off to everyone else how much they'd read and how so much more brilliant than the rest of us they were. If you don't fall into one of those then maybe you've just ended up with a bad bunch?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending