The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Truthfully? All for capital punishment.

A life for a life.
All of that only happens a certain amount of time into the pregnancy. Abortion is completely wrong beyond that point.
Before that, it is not a baby, it's essentially a bunch of cells that cannot feel pain and cannot feel emotions and could not exist separately to the woman bearing it. Abortion should be acceptable here.
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Yes. Especially for repeat offenders.

Repeat offenders of which offences? I'm pretty sure there's never been a case in the uk of a murderer being released then murdering again

Original post by tebr
I'm not disagreeing with you. My previous statement was on my opinion on what the law should be, I didn't mean to state it as a fact that that's what some countries actually do.
Of course everyone should have a fair trial whether there's capital punishment or not. Personally I just think that it shouldn't class as a crime to kill a guilty person.

But even if I watch someone commit a murder I can't say they're guilty, that's part of the point of the right to a fair trial.

I'm aware that you weren't stating it as though it's fact but what I'm saying is no legal system, not even dodgy Arab ones, are backward enough to allow vigilante justice against murderers, certainly not by statute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Repeat offenders of which offences? I'm pretty sure there's never been a case in the uk of a murderer being released then murdering again

But even if I watch someone commit a murder I can't say they're guilty, that's part of the point of the right to a fair trial.

I'm aware that you weren't stating it as though it's fact but what I'm saying is no legal system, not even dodgy Arab ones, are backward enough to allow vigilante justice against murderers, certainly not by statute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rapists etc.
Original post by Underscore__

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420137/Revealed-The-12-convicted-murderers-freed-licence-kill-AGAIN-past-decade.html
Original post by tebr
I

Well clearly it wouldn't be as the murderer would have killed an innocent person whereas the death penalty gets rid of guilty people so clearly they are not equally justified.

I'm sure many murderers would argue that there victims were guilty, and that they deserved it.
Reply 146
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I'm sure many murderers would argue that there victims were guilty, and that they deserved it.

In that case, a thorough investigation would be done as is the case with all crimes. If the victim of the crime is in fact guilty then the killer would be let off but if the victim was innocent then the killer would get the death penalty.
Have you heard of in defence of abortion, it's a collections of arguements in support of abortion assuming the featus has a right to life in the first place. Basically saying that the right to life is not the issue it is the right to use another's body. Let's say the unborn baby has a right to life, does it have a right to use the mother's body against her will. If yes then can the same not be use to justify force human experimentation/forced organ transplant. After all individual lives will be saved and people have a right to life (even in a death penalty case, the right of life is removed due to previous actions).
Original post by defenestrated
All of that only happens a certain amount of time into the pregnancy. Abortion is completely wrong beyond that point.
Before that, it is not a baby, it's essentially a bunch of cells that cannot feel pain and cannot feel emotions and could not exist separately to the woman bearing it. Abortion should be acceptable here.

I kind of agree with you, I think it might be acceptable in the quite early stages (I:e: When its just a blastocyst) But when the baby starts to develop organs and feel pain it should be considered murder to kill the baby in the same way as its murder for abortion doctors to kill babies outside of the womb or ones that are very late in development
Original post by garfeeled
Have you heard of in defence of abortion, it's a collections of arguements in support of abortion assuming the featus has a right to life in the first place. Basically saying that the right to life is not the issue it is the right to use another's body. Let's say the unborn baby has a right to life, does it have a right to use the mother's body against her will. If yes then can the same not be use to justify force human experimentation/forced organ transplant. After all individual lives will be saved and people have a right to life (even in a death penalty case, the right of life is removed due to previous actions).

The baby is an innocent entity; it didn't ask to be conceived therefore it doesn't deserve to die. New born babies also use their mothers body for breastfeeding; should we kill them too? Lets extend this argument to all children as they are incapable of supporting themselves up to the age of legal working age. Whilst were at it, lets kill all the mentally retarded people and heavily disabled people that live off taxpayers money and the government.
Again you utterly misunderstood the argument (granted I did it in the most briefest way possible).

For example you say the baby is innocent but this isn't an argument about guilt. I assume you have read the papers. What I am going to do is steal one of the arguments.

Let's say you wake up tomorrow morning and find yourself trapped in a strange room, connected you via an assortment of wires is an unconscious man, (think of him as whoever you want). You discover that this man is dieing, his liver has failed. A surgeon reveals he is the one that brought you there, he also reveals that after 9 months of being connected to this man he will live, he will need no aid. But as you posses a rare genetic marker if you leave the man will die. Are you morally obligated to stay. If the answer is no then the question turns why not, the unconscious man is innocent (assume he had been unconscious for a long time), he has a right to life, and he didn't ask to be unconscious (ie the unconscious man compared with the unborn child). If the answer is yes then some morally questionable action suddenly become morally obligatory.
Again you utterly misunderstood the argument (granted I did it in the most briefest way possible).

For example you say the baby is innocent but this isn't an argument about guilt. I assume you have read the papers. What I am going to do is steal one of the arguments.

Let's say you wake up tomorrow morning and find yourself trapped in a strange room, connected you via an assortment of wires is an unconscious man, (think of him as whoever you want). You discover that this man is dieing, his liver has failed. A surgeon reveals he is the one that brought you there, he also reveals that after 9 months of being connected to this man he will live, he will need no aid. But as you posses a rare genetic marker if you leave the man will die. Are you morally obligated to stay. If the answer is no then the question turns why not, the unconscious man is innocent (assume he had been unconscious for a long time), he has a right to life, and he didn't ask to be unconscious (ie the unconscious man compared with the unborn child). If the answer is yes then some morally questionable action suddenly become morally obligatory.

This is a ridiculous analogy; it's completely different. In most cases the act of sex is a consensual choice between a man and a women, it is a willing choice on the part of both parties. In your analogy I am forced to support the life of another human being. If it had happened in the form of rape and I was impregnated by violence I would choose to keep the baby as two wrongs don't make a right and many women who abort their babies regret it anyway

Futhermore if his liver was dying I would happily give him a liver transplant.
There are issues with the argument but yore does little to actually challenge it.

First the sex being consensual is irrelevant to the arguments. The kidnapping is reference to the baby being there unwillingly.

I've the kidnap is not a reference to the sex that produced the child but the presence of having a child connected to you against your will

Second if we assume your initial point stands then why is abortion in the case of rape wrong. You say two wrongs don't make a right but the argument is that abortion is not a wrong.

Third your willingness to give away your liver does weaken the argument. You choose to give away your liver, but it's a person choice to not choose . Unless of course you believe people should be pirated to donate 60% of their liver every 6 month (I forget the statistic but it's something like you can donate 60% of your liver once every 6 months as it grows back in that period)
There are issues with the argument but yore does little to actually challenge it.

First the sex being consensual is irrelevant to the arguments. The kidnapping is reference to the baby being there unwillingly.

I've the kidnap is not a reference to the sex that produced the child but the presence of having a child connected to you against your will

Second if we assume your initial point stands then why is abortion in the case of rape wrong. You say two wrongs don't make a right but the argument is that abortion is not a wrong.

Third your willingness to give away your liver does weaken the argument. You choose to give away your liver, but it's a person choice to not choose . Unless of course you believe people should be pirated to donate 60% of their liver every 6 month (I forget the statistic but it's something like you can donate 60% of your liver once every 6 months as it grows back in that period)

But the situation is hypothetically ridiculous. It would not happen in real life, whereas abortion is a real thing that happens in real life.
Original post by saxsan4
but why should the tax payer pay for them to have very easy lives?

It actually costs the tax payer MORE when they are 'executed' because of the court cases etc whereas in prison they live on very cheap basic supplies (as far as i know)
That's irrelevant. Questioning moral ideas usually occurs through hypothetical events unlikely to happen.

I.e

Ticking time bomb scenario
Trolley problem
The violinist (this case is basically the violinist)
The expanding child (hypothetical situation Judith Thomson, who came up with the violinist)
The sadistic guard
The Case of the Speluncean Explorers
Lecherous millionaire

Thought experiments are used thought out philosophy and ethical theories. I doubt you could find me a single major ethical theorist/philosopher who hasn't contributed to a thought experiment.
That's irrelevant. Questioning moral ideas usually occurs through hypothetical events unlikely to happen.

I.e

Ticking time bomb scenario
Trolley problem
The violinist (this case is basically the violinist)
The expanding child (hypothetical situation Judith Thomson, who came up with the violinist)
The sadistic guard
The Case of the Speluncean Explorers
Lecherous millionaire

Thought experiments are used thought out philosophy and ethical theories. I doubt you could find me a single major ethical theorist/philosopher who hasn't contributed to a thought experiment.

I am well aware of philosophical theories and thought problems. My argument is that they serve no purpose other than mental stimulation when the subject at hand is real and is happening on an ongoing basis and has basis in the physical world. I.e: It is reality, not some ridiculous hypothetical scenario.
They are more than just there for mental stimulation, they are made to challenge ideas/support them. The violinist is meant to challenge the narrative of right of life. It legitimately does, if it cannot be rebutted then it demonstrates a contradiction. Which effectively renders opposition to abortion (assuming the arguements works) an emotional one/irrational one.
Ants consume oxygen. Do you cry each time you squash one of those?
They are more than just there for mental stimulation, they are made to challenge ideas/support them. The violinist is meant to challenge the narrative of right of life. It legitimately does, if it cannot be rebutted then it demonstrates a contradiction. Which effectively renders opposition to abortion (assuming the arguements works) an emotional one/irrational one.

The arguments against abortion are however based in scientific fact, not emotion which arguably is more of a trait of pro-choicers.

Pro-lifers:

The fetus can feel pain and is genetically human which can be established empirically. Inflicting pain and murdering another human being is generally considered wrong for good reason. Therefore abortion is wrong.

Pro-choicers:

A woman must have the right to choose to murder an innocent being which has it's own distinct genetic sequence and personhood and sentience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending