The Student Room Group

university life too liberal?

Anyone else finding university life to be too liberal and superficial for their tastes? dont get me wrong i love my choice of degree and course, have a fantastic group of flatmates, but i have just observed some things about student life in general which i find odd. firstly, loads of people seem to go out everyday, like where are they getting the money!!? my loan is just under the cost of my accomodation, and i have got the budget rooms haha.

second, many people treat their degree as an afterthought, and partying, sleeping around or whatever is at the top of their agenda. maybe this is just me seeing things from a 20 year old's perspective as opposed to a freshfaced 18 year old, to whom drinking and going out late is still a novel thing.

thirdly, the lifestyle seems quite superficial. take halloween for example, with lots of people dressing up and making a big thing of it "because everyone else is". i think sometimes people give in to peer pressure to easily. many people also dont like the pub lifestyle, but prefer the clubs, probably not because they dont like pubs but because they want to copy others and not get left out.

i welcome your opinions and views haha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
Anyone else finding university life to be too liberal and superficial for their tastes? dont get me wrong i love my choice of degree and course, have a fantastic group of flatmates, but i have just observed some things about student life in general which i find odd. firstly, loads of people seem to go out everyday, like where are they getting the money!!? my loan is just under the cost of my accomodation, and i have got the budget rooms haha.

second, many people treat their degree as an afterthought, and partying, sleeping around or whatever is at the top of their agenda. maybe this is just me seeing things from a 20 year old's perspective as opposed to a freshfaced 18 year old, to whom drinking and going out late is still a novel thing.

thirdly, the lifestyle seems quite superficial. take halloween for example, with lots of people dressing up and making a big thing of it "because everyone else is". i think sometimes people give in to peer pressure to easily. many people also dont like the pub lifestyle, but prefer the clubs, probably not because they dont like pubs but because they want to copy others and not get left out.

i welcome your opinions and views haha

You're making a lot of assumptions to be honest. Some people genuinely do prefer clubs to pubs, to say they are doing it to be cool or because everyone else is, just because you don't like it makes you sound like a self absorbed ass to be honest. And I don't even like clubs.

Yes a lot of people at uni don't pay much attention to their degree, this becomes a lot less prominent after first year. I'm in my third year now and we rarely go out, as opposed to first year when we went out twice a week.

And yes, I did go out for Halloween last night and dressed up to have some fun, not because of peer pressure or because it's "cool" but because it was a special occasion and I hadn't been out in months,.

With all due respect, you're acting like you're far more mature and superior to the people you talk about all because you're 2 years older and don't necessarily enjoy the same thing. It's reminiscent of a 13 year old who is suddenly a special snowflake and better than everyone else because they like rock music and not the main stream pop. I think you have some maturing to do, you're not special.
(edited 8 years ago)
Bad day? It's okay, we all get them. I wasn't making any assumptions, it's actually observations I have made about the things I PERSONALLY have seen. However, I guess negative people (much like yourself) who like grouping people in little boxes and making judgements on people prefer to attack people. The world isn't against you honey, it sort of makes you sound like a self absorbed ass. Your not special, and it seems like you have a lot of growing up to do tbh
Where are they getting the money?
They don't have the money.
They have debt.

Which you won't.
So go you :woo:

Yes, I once used to look up to universities as beacons of academic rigour and excellence.
When I got there, I realised that they are actually cesspits of mindless crowd-following messes.

PS Just wait for Illiberal Liberal to get here ...
(edited 8 years ago)
I found this alot too, especially people seeing the degree as an after thought! They don't turn up for lectures and then have the cheek to complain when they don't understand something /know about a deadline or tutorial. It kills me :']
Original post by neal95
Bad day? It's okay, we all get them. I wasn't making any assumptions, it's actually observations I have made about the things I PERSONALLY have seen. However, I guess negative people (much like yourself) who like grouping people in little boxes and making judgements on people prefer to attack people. The world isn't against you honey, it sort of makes you sound like a self absorbed ass. Your not special, and it seems like you have a lot of growing up to do tbh

That was literally your entire post.
Reply 6
Original post by Hevachan
I found this alot too, especially people seeing the degree as an after thought! They don't turn up for lectures and then have the cheek to complain when they don't understand something /know about a deadline or tutorial. It kills me :']

oh my god Ikrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
finally someone understands me :woo:
Original post by Shadez
oh my god Ikrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
finally someone understands me :woo:

It is the worst T_T the lecturers have to explain things 2 or 3 times when I already know! People just havent turned up!!
Reply 8
Get used to it, it is full of far left radicals and far left terrorists, once they get into the real world, get a real job and live real life, they become slightly more normal (and that does not mean all of them). Until then you have to put up with their left wing nonsense

Students are a prime example of the left wing support, a bunch of inexperienced, stupid, well off nut jobs with no nuts and no job
(edited 8 years ago)

These are likely the same people who, after they have graduated with their 2:2 or 3rd, and can't get a decent job, will be complaining that "the government lied to us about university"
Reply 10
University has always been a hot bed of left wing pc liberalism. If you wanted a more right wing environment you should have joined the Army!
Original post by Gears265
Get used to it, it is full of far left radicals and far left terrorists, once they get into the real world, get a real job and live real life, they become slightly more normal (and that does not mean all of them). Until then you have to put up with their left wing nonsense

Students are a prime example of the left wing support, a bunch of inexperienced, stupid, well off nut jobs with no nuts and no job

I don't think that was quite what the OP meant by liberal :lol:
Original post by Mpagtches

PS Just wait for Illiberal Liberal to get here ...

What is that supposed to mean? :erm:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
These are likely the same people who, after they have graduated with their 2:2 or 3rd, and can't get a decent job, will be complaining that "the government lied to us about university"

I agree.. I often feel guilty for getting good grades :'] it's so silly
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
What is that supposed to mean? :erm:

Well you seem to be very liberal and/or illiberal, so thought you could shed some light on the matter, is all :smile:
I often feel guilty for getting good grades :']

How dare you do that :spank:
Original post by Mpagtches
Well you seem to be very liberal and/or illiberal, so thought you could shed some light on the matter, is all :smile:

Oh.

Well, if people want to piss away their money on going out then that's their prerogative. We're only young once, right? If people make bad decisions then they will suffer the consequences (e.g. by not doing as well in their degrees) - but that is their decision to make.

Personally I would rather spend my money on other things (such as eating out, mainly), but to each his own.
Original post by SophieSmall

And yes, I did go out for Halloween last night and dressed up to have some fun, not because of peer pressure or because it's "cool" but because it was a special occasion and I hadn't been out in months,.

Did you dress as a pirate this time? :teeth:

SS Pirate.png

(sorry :tongue:)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Did you dress as a pirate this time? :teeth:

SS Pirate.png

(sorry :tongue:)

Yes :tongue:
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes :tongue:

You listened!

We had that conversation 1 year ago :moon: