The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VergeofInsanity
It has everything to do with it because if I was to suggest black people (as an example) rob people or like chicken more than white people do, based on my experience (the rational behind your opinion), I would be deemd a racist. So you have to expect that in this day and age where white people are branded racist at every opportunity possible, that you really shouldn't say those things even if you think them.

That's is ludicrous - are you saying I shouldn't voice my opinion just because I may not be white? In case you've forgotten I have a right to speech
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
That's is ludicrous - are you saying I shouldn't voice my opinion just because I may not be white? In case you've forgotten I have a right to speech

I'm asking where you are from? So that I can unprovenly trash talk your people/faith/ethnicity like you did to white people. That's what I'm saying.
I'm asking where you are from? So that I can unprovenly trash talk your people/faith/ethnicity like you did to white people. That's what I'm saying.

You shouldn't have even bothered replying to my post if you clearly didn't like it - I was giving my honest opinion not trash talking white males - some are genuinely nice and very clever so I have nothing personal against them.
Regarding my race it really has nothing to do with you
Reply 123
I recently asked a few of my teaching friends the question:: 'What is the biggest weakness for students in maths?' I was expecting to hear the usual answer: 'Fractions, decimals, addition, subtraction.' Instead i heard this: 'Inspiration, they don't believe they can succeed so they do not bother trying.' I remember this thought vividly, it was then when i next spoke to my best friend that we mutually reached the idea to form a company together that would reinvent and motivate students to be involved in maths. It is frankly, criminal that so many students slip through the net when it comes to passing their maths GCSE, and many of them are failed either by themselves or by others for several years before that.

Hopefully we can all pull together one day to help make a difference and to universally improve the quality of online maths education regardless of ethnicity, gender, and religious belief. Humanity is a race is naturally stronger when it is working together in unison, and working together in unison is the only way to help the 136,000 students that didn't pass their maths GCSE this year.

Best regards to you all, from the Great Apes Learn team!-Fh
Just another tragic issue that our 'so called' mighty UK Government can't be bothered to sort out.
You shouldn't have even bothered replying to my post if you clearly didn't like it - I was giving my honest opinion not trash talking white males - some are genuinely nice and very clever so I have nothing personal against them.
Regarding my race it really has nothing to do with you

'in my experience some white males just don't give a **** about education so i'm not too surprise'

Why is that right to say anymore so than me belittling your people. Let's assume you are muslim - how would you feel if I said something like 'in my opinion some brown females/muslims smell like ****'

Or something like that. Why is it ok for you to be prejudice against white people but it's not ok for us to be likewise?

Why are you allowed to practice it?
'in my experience some white males just don't give a **** about education so i'm not too surprise'

Why is that right to say anymore so than me belittling your people. Let's assume you are muslim - how would you feel if I said something like 'in my opinion some brown females/muslims smell like ****'

Or something like that. Why is it ok for you to be prejudice against white people but it's not ok for us to be likewise?

Why are you allowed to practice it?

You have taken my comment way too offensive - in my experience some white males really do not care about education - a fact you probably don't like it but I'm sorry you've got to hear the truth
I had a teacher who said this statistic a couple of years ago, and she worked hard to encourage the white males and the rest of the class at high school to work hard. I had one white male friend from a working class background who didnt try very hard in our first year of gcses, but he then pulled himself together and worked very hard. I think it could partly have been due to his friendship group, as the majority of them were from ethnic minorities who had a very tough work ethic. I think we need more teachers to support and motivate individuals, who dont attend the best of schools, and for good teachers to actually stay.
You have taken my comment way too offensive - in my experience some white males really do not care about education - a fact you probably don't like it but I'm sorry you've got to hear the truth

Ok that's fine. But then can you handle the truth about if I gave it back to you about being Muslim or black? NO - you would be shouting RACISM!

And you say 'some white males' - you are therefore implying that your males, be it black males or indian males or chinese males or wherever you are from categorically do not care about education? Not even some of them. That's what I don't get. That doesn't make any obvious sense so how can you say I have taken it too personally?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bjornhattan
Well I'm not surprised, they get bombarded with messages that they are extremely privileged when they simply aren't. This causes them to become increasingly resentful and angry.

I don't think the kinds of people you are referring to know, understand or give a **** for this even to be relevant to them.
Original post by Howard
The thing is that they are NOT of the same background at all. You can take a poor Asian lad but the chances are he has a huge amount of family structure in his life and both his working parents push him to excel.

Now take a poor white lad - chances are he comes from a completely dysfunctional family (often fatherless), lives on a sink estate, has nobody encouraging him educationally, and is surrounded by family members and local people that haven't worked in generations.

So, they may be from the same "poor" mould but their social backgrounds really couldn't be more different.

When I am really bored I sometimes watch Jeremy Kyle on youtube. It sure is easy to sneer at those "chavvy" white lads. But when you see the parents, and peers, and learn about the environment they are immersed in from infancy it's not hard to see why they are the way they are.

I can give you this. My parents and definitely so my dad really freaking pushed education down my throat

Mum was never particularly fussed about my PE grades :biggrin: Which was great, because I was ****..

Howard, one thing I'ev also found is that in Asian families, the question arises of "How much do you earn" and you're expected to be honest, so from childhood, you see people's wages being compared to one another.

I'd definitely say I was brought up with working class money, but a middle class setting if that makes sense? Today I'd definitely say Im middle class,and have ran in to a few #middleclassproblems
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pizzad0gs
I actually learned about this in sociology, there have been loads of studies done into this and they come up with plenty of explanations. Also if it was the idea that white males have privilege that is influencing how well they do in school, it shouldn't hinder them but help them - i.e. cause self fulfilling prophecies.

A big reason is laddism, so basically white males and their friends valuing "being a lad" over education, as that's not seen as something that's cool to them, unlike, say, chasing girls. ALSO, a massive reason for poor white boys specifically is that they don't see education as being something that's beneficial to them - teaching them things like maths and english literature instead of valuable life skills, like manual labour related things. I'd recommend reading up on Paul Willis' "learning to labour" study.

Spoiler

Finally, an opinion which isn't pro-/anti-racism, feminism etc.! Very refreshing. From my experience, the social experience of education seems more important to males than females (echoing your point about 'laddism':wink: although I wouldn't be able to provide a reason why that is - be interesting if anyone has come up with a theory about this. Also, would like to point out I have observed this across ethnic groups yet it doesn't seem consistent across all socio-economic groups. Saying that, I am technically a white, upper-middle class male and I would agree that I didn't actually give a **** about education until it was something that I wanted to do for myself, not because I was being forced to by society, my parents, the state etc. etc. so it doesn't mean necessarily mean you are more motivated in education if you are from a more privileged background. Wow, this turned into quite a paragraph; any comments on this would be interesting to hear.

Any other wisdom your learned in Sociology you would like to share?| :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yulebook
Lower class people underachieve in general. Look at Pakistanis, Bangladeshi or Blacks. The only ethnic groups who are able to "move upwards" are several Asian ethnic groups (Arabs, Non-Muslim South Asians, East Asians).

Today I learnt that Arabs are now an Asian ethnic group, as are non Muslim South Asians.... So a Pakistani non Muslim is able to move upwards, but a Pakistani Muslim isn't? And the Pakistani non Muslim is part of an "Asian ethnic groups" but the Muslim isn't?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Check your privilege.

1. You have access to a computer
2. You have access to the internet
3. You have fingers to type with
4. You are alive...

I could go on :P
Original post by The_Internet
Today I learnt that Arabs are now an Asian ethnic group, as are Muslims....

Asia starts between Greece and Turkey.
Asia starts between Greece and Turkey.

Then quite a lot of the world is "Asian" according to you....East Asians and South Asians differ quite a lot ethnically; never mind the Arabs...

Also answer my question above

How exactly is the Pakistani non Muslim part of an "Asian ethnic group" but the Pakistani Muslim isn't?
This is ridiculous. Just the fact that they are white gives them privilege and 'higher status', albeit unconsciously, over ethnic minorities. The fact that they are underachievers is just their own goddamn fault, if they can't even be bothered to care about their own education.
Then quite a lot of the world is "Asian" according to you....East Asians and South Asians differ quite a lot ethnically; never mind the Arabs...

Also answer my question above

How exactly is the Pakistani non Muslim part of an "Asian ethnic group" but the Pakistani Muslim isn't?

Blame the Greek who decided everything east of Greece should be called "Asia"...

Most Pakistanis remain lower class in the UK. I was under the impression that Indian Muslims might also be chavvy but I'm not sure, but I am sure than non-Muslim South Asians are stereotyped as being middle class or at least able to move upwards
Blame the Greek who decided everything east of Greece should be called "Asia"...

Most Pakistanis remain lower class in the UK. I was under the impression that Indian Muslims might also be chavvy but I'm not sure, but I am sure than non-Muslim South Asians are stereotyped as being middle class or at least able to move upwards

And why is an Indian Muslim more likely to be "chavvy" than a non Muslim Indian?

BTW, see:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/uk/2002/race/educational_achievement.stm

This was back in 2002. I remember reading that the attainment gap closed last year. What do you have to say to that?

Oh look:
http://blog.policy.manchester.ac.uk/featured/2015/05/still-disadvantaged-the-educational-attainment-of-ethnic-minority-groups/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10688017/White-British-adults-less-qualified-than-ethnic-minorities.html

Again, how exactly is a non Muslim Pakistani part of the south Asian ethnic group, but a Muslim south Asian isn't?
(edited 8 years ago)
And why is an Indian Muslim more likely to be "chavvy" than a non Muslim Indian?

Only Gypsies and Bangladeshis perform worse than Pakistanis:
http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/how-are-ethnic-inequalities-in-education-changing.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending