The Student Room Group

Racial bias test

This version of the Implicit Association Test measures unconscious or automatic associations of "good" and "bad" with Black and White people.

http://www.understandingprejudice.org/iat/racframe.htm

post results ITT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Such a thing couldnt have been posted by a better person.
Reply 2
Strong automatic preference for White people 48%
Moderate automatic preference for White people 13%
Slight automatic preference for White Peoople 11 %
Little or no automatic preference 12%
Slight automatic preference for Black people 6%
Moderate automatic preference for Black people 4%
Strong automatic preference for Black people 6%
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm in the largest group
Turns out I really love white people... I'm only 6% in preference of black people... although having never had a friend who is black (I live in an area with not much multiculturalism) I've never had the chance to make positive or negative associations...
Am I a bad person for my score? D:
Reply 5
My results, I'm black if that's relevant

oaskdoskosdksodkas.png
Reply 6
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

I'm Black British, but I think the results make sense. I was scared I'd get a slight preference for White Americans since I've lived in a white area my whole life.
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

This makes me sad, bc I was raised by a fairly racist family, and even though I fight for racial equality I still clearly have an ingrained preference. Grrrr.
Reply 8
"Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

I promise I'm not racist :eek3:

I just blame it on very poor mental co-ordination :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by eoe
Strong automatic preference for White people 48%
Moderate automatic preference for White people 13%
Slight automatic preference for White Peoople 11 %
Little or no automatic preference 12%
Slight automatic preference for Black people 6%
Moderate automatic preference for Black people 4%
Strong automatic preference for Black people 6%

Original post by Hevachan
Turns out I really love white people... I'm only 6% in preference of black people... although having never had a friend who is black (I live in an area with not much multiculturalism) I've never had the chance to make positive or negative associations...
Am I a bad person for my score? D:

That's the overall data for everyone who took the test, not your personal results :laugh:
Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

Strong automatic preference for White people48%
Moderate automatic preference for White people13%
Slight automatic preference for White people12%
Little or no automatic preference12%
Slight automatic preference for Black people6%
Moderate automatic preference for Black people4%
Strong automatic preference for Black people6%

I'm not racist, I feel I got used to the switch of black and white on either side but I didn't get used to the good and bad staying on the same side if that makes sense xD
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

Hahaha, as expected.
Original post by Ndella
Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

I'm Black British, but I think the results make sense. I was scared I'd get a slight preference for White Americans since I've lived in a white area my whole life.

The fact that you are scared about that worries me slightly. Racial pride is racism. It's as simple as that. If you feel like you living with other white people makes you dislike non-white people and that that is a bad thing because you are not white then you are racist.
Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.
Original post by Ndella

Do you think your results are something to be concerned about?
You shouldn't call people "black" as it might be considered demeaning, you should use the term "African American"

^^
There were too many errors made to determine a result.

I'll try this again tomorrow morning, I think I'm too tired and frustrated to be able to do it properly atm.
Original post by TorpidPhil
The fact that you are scared about that worries me slightly. Racial pride is racism. It's as simple as that. If you feel like you living with other white people makes you dislike non-white people and that that is a bad thing because you are not white then you are racist.

???? you're literally saying that because someone was scared they would feel negatively about their own race due to living in a (presumably) racist place that's racist???? i'm ???? if anything that shows how f**cked up western society is - that people of colour will for the most part prefer white people over their own race. think about that.
also side note racism towards white people's doesn't exist, at least not in western communities, as racism is based on a system of oppression and white people aren't oppressed.
Parked

Originally it said I had a "slight automatic preference for African Americans"

Now it tells me "our data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

I call bull**** on this. How can I go from a slight automatic preference for African Americans to a strong automatic preference to European Americans in the space of five minutes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pizzad0gs

This makes me sad, bc I was raised by a fairly racist family, and even though I fight for racial equality I still clearly have an ingrained preference. Grrrr.

Its genetically encoded in people to find prefer people that look similar to them, I bet if you reran that test with guys and girls, you'd probably get an ingrained preference in one direction, even if you weren't sexist :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest