The Student Room Group

Abortion right or wrong

Scroll to see replies

Science also allowed abortions to come about...so if you want to start arguing with science...be my guest.
Reply 61
OK- I think we need to clarify the distinction between "alive" and "sentient". Every single living cell on the planet respires and uses up glucose. Amoeba do it. The cells in appendices and tonsils and malignant cancerous cells all do that, and we take them out of people without blinking an eye. By that standard every time a farmer cuts down a strand of corn he commits murder. And the DNA thing falls at the same hurdle. Something's DNA does not make it sentient.

Sentience is our standard of murder. If a person can think and fear and hope and plan, can love and hope and feel pain, then to kill them is to end a consciousness and is murder. Foetuses younger than twenty-four weeks can't feel pain. They can't think. They don't know they're alive. Their existence or its ending is of no consequence to them. It is not murder.

Oh yes- and sperm and eggs don't start respiring just when they fuse, you know. By your apparent standards every period and wet dream is akin to murder, because it kills a living gamete.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Science also allowed abortions to come about...so if you want to start arguing with science...be my guest.

False, abortions were around long before our modern science developed. The only difference is nowadays they are legal and therefore funded.

You are the equivalent of that person who comes out in the morning, looks at the sky, sees it is blue and then says that the sky is green.

You can ignore the facts until you are blue in the face but that doesn't change them one bit.
How is my avatar "Ugh"? You have a problem with two homosexual males expressing love for eachother?

Your picture is damn disgusting! Stupid.
Reply 64
Original post by MangoCrazy
1. No it isn't.
2. Typical to mention religion. I mentioned this earlier. "If you don't want children then there should be plans made beforehand." No need to jump to irrational assumptions yourself.
3. I ain't acting you thickhead.

1. As evidenced by all the other replies, it is.
2. It's was just as typical as you mentioning orientation - that was the point of me mentioning it. Still didn't get it?

And I quote: "What do you mean "you don't want the kid"? Why have sex in the first place?". I'm referring to your second sentence. Is it that difficult to fathom? Just because you contradicted yourself in three sentences doesn't erase the meaning of the second sentence here.
3. Calling me a "dickhead" and saying "I ain't acting like you". Such maturity... Wow.
Well Science was around long before we called it science.... and I was talking about safe medical abortions clearly.

No the sky is blue, just like a fetus is a fetus.
Reply 66
Original post by 

Hot. 🔥
Original post by 

I think it's beautiful.
Reply 68
Well even if she was raped I don't understand what is shameful about keeping the baby?
To some yes it is "fine".

Spoken like someone who has never spent months being woken by a crying infant. Not least when that means you can't go to school or work and advance your life, and that child looks like your rapist, and your terror that your blood might not be strong enough to overwhelm that of the evil man running in its veins wakes you even when the child doesn't.

Also heheh "splash". Stop splashing everywhere, gay people. You're too... splash-y.
Original post by *Stefan*
2. It's was just as typical as you mentioning orientation - that was the point of me mentioning it. Still didn't get it?

And I quote: "What do you mean "you don't want the kid"? Why have sex in the first place?". I'm referring to your second sentence. Is it that difficult to fathom? Just because you contradicted yourself in three sentences doesn't erase the meaning of the second sentence here.
3. Calling me a "dickhead" and saying "I ain't acting like you". Such maturity... Wow.

Y'know she said she was born in 1994 which makes her 21. Scary stuff. I hope it's a lie :afraid:

Well there is no need to target one sentence because the following sentence was part of it. Not difficult, you're looking for ways to make it difficult for yourself and come up with an argument. So no need to get all hyped up about it. Calm yourself. There are measures to be taken while having sex, protection yadda yadda
Hah thickhead I repeat.
Original post by Romula
OK- I think we need to clarify the distinction between "alive" and "sentient". Every single living cell on the planet respires and uses up glucose. Amoeba do it. The cells in appendices and tonsils and malignant cancerous cells all do that, and we take them out of people without blinking an eye. By that standard every time a farmer cuts down a strand of corn he commits murder. And the DNA thing falls at the same hurdle. Something's DNA does not make it sentient.

Sentience is our standard of murder. If a person can think and fear and hope and plan, can love and hope and feel pain, then to kill them is to end a consciousness and is murder. Foetuses younger than twenty-four weeks can't feel pain. They can't think. They don't know they're alive. Their existence or its ending is of no consequence to them. It is not murder.

Oh yes- and sperm and eggs don't start respiring just when they fuse, you know. By your apparent standards every period and wet dream is akin to murder, because it kills a living gamete.

MrsHolmes was arguing that a fetus was not alive nor human. Both which are false biologically speaking. Why are you bringing corn into this? Corn has nothing to do with this. Two distinct species entirely.

You are wrong about that also, experts have been quoted as saying it is as early as 13 weeks to 20 weeks the fetus feels pain. Moreover, the part of the brain that mimimises pain in the unborn is not fully developed so they can still feel pain but much more intensely than a fully grown adult would.

If that isn't messed up tell me what is? We treat our worst criminals better than our most innocent, helpless citizens. What kind of messed up nation are we?

There is plenty of medical knowledge and anecdotal evidence that babies do hear things in the womb and can remember things they heard in the womb. They also play, cry, feel pain and do all the other things a baby outside of the womb would do after a certain number of weeks (I think 22+ weeks)
Reply 72
Abortion should be subsidised.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Y'know she said she was born in 1994 which makes her 21. Scary stuff. I hope it's a lie :afraid:

I refuse to believe she's 21 lol. Absolutely no way.
I refuse to believe she's 21 lol. Absolutely no way.

Well we can hope, can't we :smile:
Well Science was around long before we called it science.... and I was talking about safe medical abortions clearly.

No the sky is blue, just like a fetus is a fetus.

No it wasn't, the modern experimental method of science was only developed around the 18th century. That's why before that time we believed the earth was flat and dragons existed and allsorts of other nonsense. Please go and learn your history more because you seem very ill-informed.

Yes, a baby is a baby indeed.
Original post by Romula
Spoken like someone who has never spent months being woken by a crying infant. Not least when that means you can't go to school or work and advance your life, and that child looks like your rapist, and your terror that your blood might not be strong enough to overwhelm that of the evil man running in its veins wakes you even when the child doesn't.

Also heheh "splash". Stop splashing everywhere, gay people. You're too... splash-y.

So what? It's life get on with it. You need to adapt to that lifestyle. If you're still moaning about babies I feel sorry for your life and I'm dead serious about this. Wow you will grow up one day and realise this advanced life you're on about isn't worth it. Some people want a family and I think you just don't fit well atm.
The fact you're mentioning about a rapist well abortion is an option for them although I'd never do it personally.
Reply 77
Women should be allowed to have an abortion simply because it's there body and they have a right to do what they wish with there body.
Reply 78
Well there is no need to target one sentence because the following sentence was part of it. Not difficult, you're looking for ways to make it difficult for yourself and come up with an argument. So no need to get all hyped up about it. Calm yourself. There are measures to be taken while having sex, protection yadda yadda
Hah thickhead I repeat.

I'm not surprised that you still can't understand what I'm saying - your mental capacity is evidently limited.

Your two sentences were complete opposites. You wrote the sentences and can't even understand what you wrote? What the hell?

Did you say "why have sex then" or did you not? That assumes that sex is only for reproduction (and which is why you brought the whole "me being homosexual" aspect into this).

Don't turn your own words around because you can't answer simple questions. You're too easy to counter either way.

If I'm thickead you're brickhead. Just be careful that you don't touch the wall cause you might colour it red.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ugh :rolleyes:

It's their opinion, leave them alone, just because somebody has ideas that contrast your own, that doesn't mean you should hate them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending