The Student Room Group

Calling women 'mate'?

Is there any real issue with this? I tend to like using it with the bitches at work cos its friendly while not sounding rapey yet still carries the implication that if they dont pull their weight within the team they could get twatted.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMoralStruggle
Is there any real issue with this? I tend to like using it with the bitches at work cos its friendly while not sounding rapey yet still carries the implication that if they dont pull their weight within the team they could get twatted.

calling them "bitches" is the solution. Isen't it mate?
Reply 2
Why are you calling women bitches for?
I think you should stop, not because they arent but because bitches are female dogs and dogs are loyal af. These hoes aint.
Reply 3
It's better than calling them bitches.
/thread.
Just call them bitches, they love it.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.
Reply 5
i go to an all girls school

we call each other "guys", "dude", "man", "mate", "bro" all the time - we have rarely said "girl" or "sis" that's just no :colonhash:

so yeah i don't see an issue haha

oh but bitches - no ... unless you're super close cos when I see my friends I'll come in like SUP BITCHEZZZZ
but I don't say that to anyone I'm not close with cos it might offend them
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by z33
i go to an all girls school

we call each other "guys", "dude", "man", "mate", "bro" all the time - we have rarely said "girl" or "sis" that's just no :colonhash:

so yeah i don't see an issue haha

oh but bitches - no ... unless you're super close cos when I see my friends I'll come in like SUP BITCHEZZZZ
but I don't say that to anyone I'm not close with cos it might offend them

Out of interest, why are phrases usually aimed towards guys like 'dude' or 'bro' better or superior to 'sis' or 'girl' when you're talking to other girls... in an all girl's school?
Reply 7
Original post by Danz123
Out of interest, why are phrases usually aimed towards guys like 'dude' or 'bro' better or superior to 'sis' or 'girl' when you're talking to other girls... in an all girl's school?

i don't know it sounds weird to say! okay maybe we do use 'girl' but only in a sarcastic/ jokey manner (like "gurrrrrllll you did NOT just do that!") but 'bro' and 'dude' are used more in casual conversation. For me it just comes out... maybe it's because of all the movies and YouTubers I watch, and videogames I played and their dialogue... i really don't know why but it is the way it is haha

even our teachers (male or female) refer to us as 'guys'... idk what it is haha
Original post by Danz123
'girl' and 'sis' has more intimate connotations than 'dude' or 'bro', precisely because males in general are less intimate with one another? So you wouldn't really use the former set of words to call classmates who are mere acquaintances.

That's my guess.
Reply 9
Original post by z33
i don't know it sounds weird to say! okay maybe we do use 'girl' but only in a sarcastic/ jokey manner (like "gurrrrrllll you did NOT just do that!") but 'bro' and 'dude' are used more in casual conversation. For me it just comes out... maybe it's because of all the movies and YouTubers I watch, and videogames I played and their dialogue... i really don't know why but it is the way it is haha

even our teachers (male or female) refer to us as 'guys'... idk what it is haha

Yeah exactly, it's just seen as the 'default setting' in our culture and society, which I don't think is very good tbh.
Its what my male friends call me. That or sometimes sis.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
'girl' and 'sis' has more intimate connotations than 'dude' or 'bro', precisely because males in general are less intimate with one another? So you wouldn't really use the former set of words to call classmates who are mere acquaintances.

That's my guess.

As with my reply to z33, I think the reason for this is the fact that it's just become that way in society. Calling people in a collective group 'guys' or just saying 'dude' to anyone even if they're not actually a dude shows how any male phrases are just the norm and the default setting.
Reply 12
Original post by Danz123
Yeah exactly, it's just seen as the 'default setting' in our culture and society, which I don't think is very good tbh.

hmmm yeah true - idk if it's a bad thing though - it's not offensive or anything and i don't mind it tbh
Original post by z33
hmmm yeah true - idk if it's a bad thing though - it's not offensive or anything and i don't mind it tbh

Well having the male phrases as the default and women as the 'other' (you'd never call a guy 'sis' like you'd call a girl 'bro' unless you wanted to offend him) shows the genders are not on a level playing field in that regard. Phrases or names associated with the female gender belong ONLY to the female gender in society; unless you wanted to insult or belittle a guy by calling him a 'sissy'. By contrast, male nicknames or general phrases are used by everyone for everyone. Seems problematic to me.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah

That's my guess.

That's pretty contrived.
It's because 'male' is the neutral gender, and anything else, 'female', is the 'other gender'.

So any masculine terms are neutral terms.
Yeh call them mates but keep 'bitches' as a standby motivator to work. You could be their very own Shia Lebeouf :yy:
Reply 16
Original post by Danz123
Well having the male phrases as the default and women as the 'other' (you'd never call a guy 'sis' like you'd call a girl 'bro' unless you wanted to offend him) shows the genders are not on a level playing field in that regard. Phrases or names associated with the female gender belong ONLY to the female gender in society; unless you wanted to insult or belittle a guy by calling him a 'sissy'. By contrast, male nicknames or general phrases are used by everyone for everyone. Seems problematic to me.

hmm yeah but it's just the way it is isn't it? I mean it's just like when you say Doctor people usually think of a male, and when you say Nurse they think of a female. This happens automatically - it's not because they're sexist or anything it just happens... it's 'default' like you said.

i see what you're saying though.

and also - we say mankind when referring to the human race - it's like a neutral thing just like @addyaxis said...
(edited 8 years ago)
LOL love the intro
Original post by z33
hmm yeah but it's just the way it is isn't it? I mean it's just like when you say Doctor people usually think of a male, and when you say Nurse they think of a female. This happens automatically - it's not because they're sexist or anything it just happens... it's 'default' like you said.

i see what you're saying though.

and also - we say mankind when referring to the human race - it's like a neutral thing just like @addyaxis said...

Well it happens because of subconscious sexism really, you just make assumptions based on what you've seen and what's been pushed on you. The idea that doctors are usually male is a flawed assumption; there are many female doctors, and yet people still have this idea because of how entrenched the sexism is in our society.
Reply 19
Original post by Danz123
Well it happens because of subconscious sexism really, you just make assumptions based on what you've seen and what's been pushed on you. The idea that doctors are usually male is a flawed assumption; there are many female doctors, and yet people still have this idea because of how entrenched the sexism is in our society.

true that, but it's the sad reality and probably won't change in our lifetime...:redface:
i hope it does though - for the future generations!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending