The Student Room Group

Calling women 'mate'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
hmm yeah but it's just the way it is isn't it? I mean it's just like when you say Doctor people usually think of a male, and when you say Nurse they think of a female. This happens automatically - it's not because they're sexist or anything it just happens... it's 'default' like you said.

i see what you're saying though.

and also - we say mankind when referring to the human race - it's like a neutral thing just like @addyaxis said...

It might not be that the person is sexist but it means that there is internalised sexism in them. By thinking a male is a doctor by default is harmful in the sense that women are less likely to aspire to be doctors or be as respected. Similarly with a male doing a 'female perceived' job such as a nurse. Women are also less respected and less likely to get jobs such as doctors, just because of internalised sexism.

If you say 'it's just the way it is' without questioning why a job role that doesn't need a particular reason to have a particular gender associated, then you're being oblivious to the problems in society.

You might aswell say: 'It's like when you think of a black person, you think they like chicken and steal!' or some dumb crap like that.
hi mate @drowzee
Reply 22
Original post by addyaxis
It might not be that the person is sexist but it means that there is internalised sexism in them. By thinking a male is a doctor by default is harmful in the sense that women are less likely to aspire to be doctors or be as respected. Similarly with a male doing a 'female perceived' job such as a nurse. Women are also less respected and less likely to get jobs such as doctors, just because of internalised sexism.

If you say 'it's just the way it is' without questioning why a job role that doesn't need a particular reason to have a particular gender associated, then you're being oblivious to the problems in society.

You might aswell say: 'It's like when you think of a black person, you think they like chicken and steal!' or some dumb crap like that.

agree with the first paragraph

i know what you mean but are you really gonna tell me if I said Computer Science teacher you wouldn't think of a guy? In fact I asked a question here on TSR the other day and mentioned my computing teacher - didn't say anything about gender and they assumed it was a guy and referred to them as 'he' when in fact my teacher's a woman. it IS the way it is... and that is sad - it doesn't make me oblivious if i say that because i do pick up on it and question it, but the fact of the matter is that's how people in today's society think. That's their initial thought, even if you were a female aspiring to be a Doctor when you hear Dr Sam you automatically assume it's a male doctor - not a female...

don't know what you're getting at with the last point because now we're just going into stereotypes
Original post by z33
agree with the first paragraph

i know what you mean but are you really gonna tell me if I said Computer Science teacher you wouldn't think of a guy? In fact I asked a question here on TSR the other day and mentioned my computing teacher - didn't say anything about gender and they assumed it was a guy and referred to them as 'he' when in fact my teacher's a woman. it IS the way it is... and that is sad - it doesn't make me oblivious if i say that because i do pick up on it and question it, but the fact of the matter is that's how people in today's society think. That's their initial thought, even if you were a female aspiring to be a Doctor when you hear Dr Sam you automatically assume it's a male doctor - not a female...

don't know what you're getting at with the last point because now we're just going into stereotypes

Because everything you're saying is a stereotype. You can't just shrug shoulders at stereotypes.
Reply 24
Original post by addyaxis
Because everything you're saying is a stereotype. You can't just shrug shoulders at stereotypes.

not shrugging shoulders

i'm just saying it happens

i didn't say it was not an issue or that it doesn't matter or that i don't care

i'm saying it happens in real life - that's a fact
Original post by z33
true that, but it's the sad reality and probably won't change in our lifetime...:redface:
i hope it does though - for the future generations!

Oh trust me, it'll change, eventually we'll reach equality and noone will bat an eye at people even transitioning if they feel gender dysphoria. Transgender people do face the most bigotry these days, but eventually, the bigots will lose. They always do, and they always will.
Reply 26
Original post by Danz123
Oh trust me, it'll change, eventually we'll reach equality and noone will bat an eye at people even transitioning if they feel gender dysphoria. Transgender people do face the most bigotry these days, but eventually, the bigots will lose. They always do, and they always will.

**** yeah preach! i hope it happens soon - i do feel sorry for transgender people with all the **** they face, even after they've transitioned with relationships and stuff

but hopefully all of this will be a thing of the past and they'll learn about it in their history lessons and raise eyebrows like "this really happened?"
Original post by DiddyDec
Just call them bitches, they love it.

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

Only in the bedroom. :wink: Jk. Not jk.

All kidding aside, I'm pretty sure that calling a girl 'mate' sounds less derogatory than calling her 'bitch'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
hi mate @drowzee

I'm not your mate :colonhash:
Original post by drowzee
I'm not your mate :colonhash:

y? :frown:
Original post by z33
**** yeah preach! i hope it happens soon - i do feel sorry for transgender people with all the **** they face, even after they've transitioned with relationships and stuff

but hopefully all of this will be a thing of the past and they'll learn about it in their history lessons and raise eyebrows like "this really happened?"

I'll keep preaching don't you worry, and you have to also! Speed up the change, cause even more acceleration to a progressive future never hurts.

Just 15 years ago things were pretty horrific for the LGBT community, and look how far we've come in such a short time! In a lot of the Western world gay people can get married now!

Yep, I mean we do now of course with the racism that happened in the past, and I've seen progression happen faster and faster in Western countries really. We're already on the right side of history, and future generations will look favourably and admirably on the liberals and progressives. The bigots can eat ****.
Reply 31
Original post by Danz123
I'll keep preaching don't you worry, and you have to also! Speed up the change, cause even more acceleration to a progressive future never hurts.

Just 15 years ago things were pretty horrific for the LGBT community, and look how far we've come in such a short time! In a lot of the Western world gay people can get married now!

Yep, I mean we do now of course with the racism that happened in the past, and I've seen progression happen faster and faster in Western countries really. We're already on the right side of history, and future generations will look favourably and admirably on the liberals and progressives. The bigots can eat ****.

yes will do! we'll work for the better future, and yeah we've come far and hopefully we'll go far too!

good luck to us! :biggrin:
Original post by z33
yes will do! we'll work for the better future, and yeah we've come far and hopefully we'll go far too!

good luck to us! :biggrin:

Yes we will. I believe in the future we can create through the good I know we all have in us. We can harness that good and use it to bring people together, not divide them.

Haha, good luck indeed!

You're really cool btw. *high five*
Reply 33
Original post by Danz123
Yes we will. I believe in the future we can create through the good I know we all have in us. We can harness that good and use it to bring people together, not divide them.

Haha, good luck indeed!

You're really cool btw. *high five*

Yupp, we have the power to make the future bright... we can do it.

Thanks :colondollar: you're awesome too :biggrin: *high five back*
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
y? :frown:

:mmm:

Spoiler

Original post by z33
Yupp, we have the power to make the future bright... we can do it.

Thanks :colondollar: you're awesome too :biggrin: *high five back*

Yes we can! Starting to sound like '08 Obama, but it's possible, and it's happening!

Aww :hugs:

I hope you're studies are going well btw! You doing a levels or?
Original post by drowzee
:mmm:

Spoiler

:lovehug:
Reply 37
Original post by Danz123
Yes we can! Starting to sound like '08 Obama, but it's possible, and it's happening!

Aww :hugs:

I hope you're studies are going well btw! You doing a levels or?

:lol: haha yeah it deffo is possible! :hugs:hmmm yeah studies are going well i guess

Awh thank you ! :biggrin:
A2 levels+ some AS retakes :colonhash: sighhhh half term went by too fast

i can't sleep but late start tomorrow so that's good! :tongue:
Original post by z33
:lol: haha yeah it deffo is possible! :hugs:hmmm yeah studies are going well i guess

Awh thank you ! :biggrin:
A2 levels+ some AS retakes :colonhash: sighhhh half term went by too fast

i can't sleep but late start tomorrow so that's good! :tongue:

That's good, I'm glad your studies are going well. You'll ace the AS retakes dw :hugs:

Aww, well I'm going to bed soon but I'm such a late sleeper lol
Reply 39
Original post by TheMoralStruggle
Is there any real issue with this? I tend to like using it with the bitches at work cos its friendly while not sounding rapey yet still carries the implication that if they dont pull their weight within the team they could get twatted.

I love that this is a serious post :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending