The Student Room Group

Abortion right or wrong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drowzee
No, I'm right and you're wrong. :h:

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MangoCrazy
What do you mean "you don't want the kid"? Why have sex in the first place? If you don't want children then there should be plans made beforehand.

Abortion is WRONG!

People have sex for other reasons other than to have a baby. People do use contraception but they CAN fail.
Well yes but I don't understand how you have the heart to kill a baby. It is alive ffs.

your argument is as valid as saying 'masturbation/having protected sex is wrong, because the sperm that is wasted could have gone on to produce a baby'.
Original post by Zargabaath
I don't like it, however sometimes it's necessary so I suppose I'm more pro-choice then pro-life. Don't think it should be free on the NHS though unless it's a rape child or is going to endanger the mothers health in some way.

Certainly don't think it's be something to be proud of as some of the posters in this thread are making it out to be.

Agreed. And if the baby's life is in danger. Certainly not as an alternative to contraception.
Original post by Anon_98
It's still a human life that you'd be killing, just bc it's a baby and hasnt been exposed to the earth doesnt mean that it isn't human. Would you commit murder, if not then why go through abortion? (Provided there's not a valid reason.) People shouldn't have sex if they arent going to be careful, theyre just taking advantage of what's available to them. If the only thing that was available was street abortions then no one would be as silly. Plus, I believe that abortion clinics being present increases the chance of teenage pregnancies and lots of people just use abortion as another form of contraception. It's stupid, it irritates me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not necessarily a human life as there's controversy over what that is exactly in regards to a foetus.

In the UK it is illegal to have an abortion once the foetus is over 24 weeks old (except for rare circumstances where the mother's like may be endangered etc). It can be argued that the embryo isn't even properly developed yet, doesn't have consciousness and therefore isn't a human life. It can't even feel pain at that age.

Your next point is absurd. Why would people get abortions if they hadn't been careful when having sex? Contrary to what people may have told you, contraception is not 100% effective and therefore there is still the possibility of getting pregnant, despite not wanting to, even if all the necessary precautions are taken.

What utter rubbish. If you're going to make a ridiculous claim that people use abortion as another form of contraception and that clinics increase the number of teen pregnancies then you'd better provide evidence for these claims if you don't want others to think you've made them up.

Ultimately the woman should have control over her own body. What irritates me about your stance is that you're implying a woman should be a slave to her pregnancy and have no right to decide whether or not she wants to keep the child. Well unfortunately for you, she does have control.
(edited 8 years ago)
So what? It's life get on with it. You need to adapt to that lifestyle. If you're still moaning about babies I feel sorry for your life and I'm dead serious about this. Wow you will grow up one day and realise this advanced life you're on about isn't worth it. Some people want a family and I think you just don't fit well atm.
The fact you're mentioning about a rapist well abortion is an option for them although I'd never do it personally.

That's precisely the point. Most people, especially at the age of sixteen or seventeen, are not ready for a child. Some people are never ready, at twenty or thirty or forty. So forcing them to carry any pregnancy to term, whether or not it results from rape, will not only ruin their lives but the lives of their children.
Look, you can't expect to be able to convince anyone if you're not willing to find evidence to support your argument, and it is not my responsibility to do that for you. If you can't be bothered, I will continue to put my faith in the scientific consensus- that foetuses earlier than twenty-four weeks cannot feel pain, and that abortion before that point is not murder.
Original post by Anon_98
It annoys me when people have sex carelessly just bc they know they are able to abort a child if something goes wrong. It's selfish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But as already explained, most people who have abortions generally have not had careless sex thinking "Oh I'll just pop down to the abortion clinic and get one if I get preggerz!"

This is where contraception hasn't worked as well as of course cases where girls get pregnant by rape. What's your stance on this scenario?
who cares? do whatever you want if you want an abortion go for it
Depends on the circumstances as some people have already pointed out. But generally,i'm pro life.
That's your opinion. Some girls have their own and it is not an easy decision to make. I had one three years ago just as I was about to start my NVQ and access course to university as that was the reason why I was doing it - to create a better life for my future children. There was no way I could juggle both of them as well as working! I just wouldn't be able to keep my focus. It was not easy by all means, it was one of the most hardest life changing decision I have ever made in my entire living life and I never want to go through it again. However, some girls have other problems such as abnormalities, mental health problems, etc. Don't judge a book by its cover until you understand the full story. I'm not bothered if anyone is pro life or pro choice - just keep your opinions to yourself and only express it with those who have the same opinion as you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
The only time I'd use abortion + wrong in a sentence, is "it's wrong for you to demand what a woman chooses with her body i.e. whether she gets an abortion or not".

We shouldn't need to have this debate in 2015, it's a woman's choice.
Original post by Kadak
Is it possible to be on both sides :colondollar:?

Yes, it's called pro choice
It's a little ridiculous that this is still a hot topic in 2015. It should be the woman's choice.
Original post by Inexorably
The only time I'd use abortion + wrong in a sentence, is "it's wrong for you to demand what a woman chooses with her body i.e. whether she gets an abortion or not".

We shouldn't need to have this debate in 2015, it's a woman's choice.

Its not as simple as that. Do you believe, for example, that abortion should be legal at any point in the pregnancy?
Original post by cherryred90s
It's a little ridiculous that this is still a hot topic in 2015. It should be the woman's choice.
A lot of debate revolves around term time limits.
I'm pro-choice. If a woman doesn't want a baby, she should be allowed to have an abortion.
Forcing a baby on a woman who is simply not ready to have a child will have detrimental effects on the baby's upbringing.
This holds true especially for rape cases, where the mother might take out her resentment on her baby, which does no one good at all.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Its not as simple as that. Do you believe, for example, that abortion should be legal at any point in the pregnancy?

My answer is simply directed at the question is "abortion right or wrong", once you go further in depth e.g. term limits, then yes it does get more difficult.

I believe the current term limit in the UK is very lenient and perfectly acceptable, in a lot of mainland Europe the limit is incredibly less than ours.

Of course if it's a matter of the woman's life/death then at any point it should be legal.
Original post by Farm_Ecology

If the mothers life is in danger or the child is found to have severe complex needs or chromosome abnormalities and the woman doesn't want to deal with that, then I don't see a problem with it.
If it's just a matter of the woman not making up her mind, she should not be allowed to have an abortion and give her child up for adoption if she doesn't want it.
Original post by TheTechN1304
I agree with it, but think that the window of abortion should be shortened. It's currently 24 weeks (6 months) and I think it should be lowered to at least 20. It should not take you half a year to decide whether or not you're going to keep the baby.

It is 24 weeks because the scans that detect rare disabilities, disorders and birth complications are carried out at 24 weeks, not because we want to give women 6 months to abort a healthy baby. Really wish people stopped being so clueless.
Abortion is murder. What else really needs to be said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending