The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Ants consume oxygen. Do you cry each time you squash one of those?

I don't squash ants.

Fair enough, giving out a few more whole life terms would be an easy solution.

Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
Rapists etc.

Utterly stupid and barbaric.

Original post by tebr
In that case, a thorough investigation would be done as is the case with all crimes. If the victim of the crime is in fact guilty then the killer would be let off but if the victim was innocent then the killer would get the death penalty.

You clearly have no understanding of how courts work and why people commit murders. Investigating a crime where the defendant is dead is very rare and very difficult. Someone may say someone deserves to die for doing something that isn't even a crime. Even if you say you can kill a criminal how severe does their offence have to be? All that would do is create a more violent society where vigilante justice became common place.

Original post by TheArtofProtest
I think the family of the deceased should decide pre-trial, that in the event of a guilty verdict, the judge and jury are allowed to consider execution as a method of punishment.

They're the last people who should get a choice, they're far less likely to make a rational decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never. Just no, no, no.
No. These murders or rapists have ended up lives of people who deserved to live but punishing them by killing them will just prove that we are as cruel as they are, in my openion, they should be jailed and entered a rehabilitation program, after all this the purpose of the existance of forensic psychologist !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feral pain only begins to be felt after an amount of time, generally 24 weeks.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=201429
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/9053416/

Do you support abortion to save the mother's life? If you do you demonstrate a clear differentiate between feral personhood and actual personhood, that or you prefer the mother's life to the life of the featus.

In defence of abortion exists to try and demonstrate that a right to choose is a moral right. So far you have done little to oppose the arguements brought up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by garfeeled

Do you support abortion to save the mother's life? If you do you demonstrate a clear differentiate between feral personhood and actual personhood.

Not necessarily. All it shows is that you value the mothers life other the fetus'.
Original post by tebr
In that case, a thorough investigation would be done as is the case with all crimes. If the victim of the crime is in fact guilty then the killer would be let off but if the victim was innocent then the killer would get the death penalty.
The point is 'deserve' is such a silly concept, as far as crime goes. The state murderer believes themselves just as justified as the independent murderer. Mixing personal vendettas and revenge into the justice system is just plain moronic, and not pragmatic.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Not necessarily. All it shows is that you value the mothers life other the fetus'.

True. Will change what I posted.
I don't think you quite understood what I had proposed so allow me to reiterate:

I said that the family of the deceased should be the one to decide whether or not the judge and/or jury can consider the death penalty to be a suitable punishment in the event of a guilty verdict.

There will be a trial, there will be a verdict and there may be a punishment. All I'm advocating is that the family of the deceased should be consulted about what punishments they will be seeking or foregoing.

At the very least, active participation in the justice system would make them feel like justice has been served and would give them some semblance of closure.

My point remains that they shouldn't have an input because they'd have an emotional response and not a rational one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People deal with death emotionally, not rationally.

And that's fair enough but when a judiciary has someone's life in their hands all decisions and inputs should be rational and not emotional

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tebr
I don't understand how so many people can be against punishing criminals fairly.

Your idea of fairness will not be the same as everyone else's.

Original post by tebr
x
Consider the fact that a sizeable number of wrongly convicted people would end up being tortured under this system. Not only would these innocent people have to go through the horrendous ordeal of being lambasted for a crime they didn't commit as sometimes happens now, they'd then face the additional trauma of physical torture.

Ask yourself: do you really think satisfying your thirst for revenge is worth letting innocent people through that? If you think it is, you're really quite a twisted individual.
And the decision whether to apply the death penalty will be made in a rational manner by an impartial adjudicator.

You're clearly ignoring what I said; people with an emotional judgement should not be involved in the judicial process - is that clearer for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
we should rly take a long hard look at the concepts of innocence and evil. no human is absolutely innocent and no human is absolutely evil. when we start shining the 'judgement light' around we'll see lots of dirty hands, especially from those who condone capital punishment or any other form of violence. under the right circumstances ANY ONE OF US could commit atrocious acts. there are so many factors that contribute to a human being's experience of themselves.

those of us who murder or commit any other violent act have an acute level of accumulated emotional pain. the more emotional we are, the less rational we are = the more mentally ill/imbalanced we are. there are degrees of mental illness/imbalance in all of us. ego is inseparable from mental illness/imbalance. all of us are mentally ill/imbalanced to some extent because all of us have an ego/mind to some degree.

so yeah stop it
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I personally don't agree with the death penalty. The main reason is that it obviously has no effect: murder/rape etc. happens every day and will sadly continue to happen every day it seems despite death sentences having been given to people for committing these exact crimes. In fact, I think a life long sentence is more effective, as people have to live with what they have done; they don't get an easy escape (death). Yes, there is the pain that comes with it, but will the death of the criminal bring back the victim?

No.

Will a 25yr prison sentence bring back the victim?
Original post by fairytalecolours
we should rly take a long hard look at the concepts of innocence and evil. no human is absolutely innocent and no human is absolutely evil. when we start shining the 'judgement light' around we'll see lots of dirty hands, especially from those who condone capital punishment or any other form of violence. under the right circumstances ANY ONE OF US could commit atrocious acts. there are so many factors that contribute to a human being's experience of themselves.

those of us who murder or commit any other violent act have an acute level of accumulated emotional pain. the more emotional we are, the less rational we are = the more mentally ill/imbalanced we are. there are degrees of mental illness/imbalance in all of us. ego is inseparable from mental illness/imbalance. all of us are mentally ill/imbalanced to some extent because all of us have an ego/mind to some degree.

so yeah stop it

A serial murderer who shows no remorse for his/her actions is evil. Anyone can commit a horrendous crime yes, but not everyone does because we have morals, unlike some people.

Everyone has an element of emotional pain, that doesn't mean we all go outside murdering innocent people. Mental illness is not an excuse for horrific crimes like that. I say the insane should still be locked up together for as long as a 'sane' offender but perhaps receive some type of therapy/counselling
Original post by saxsan4
yes or no? and why

i think for the most serious rapists, murders and paedophiles and special crimes which are truly revolting, we should bring it back
but ONLY on the most serious cases such as the woman who flushed her new born baby down the toilet. The killer of Le-Rigby as examples

I think we should definitely bring it back. Nobody is afraid of prison anymore. when I watch documentaries about offenders who have committed capital murder or several accounts of child abuse, they seem somewhat happy in jail. They're surrounded by the company of others, they get food, showers, clothes, bed and even education. Ive also seen some people with phones and recording another offender getting beaten up and they're all laughing in the background. I even watched one guy baking a cake -__- How does that deter them from reoffending? We need tougher prison sentences with a very low but satisfactory level of comfort for less serious criminals

serial offenders who commit the most horrendous crimes should be given the death penalty, but not immediately. So I watched a doc about a guy on death row for four accounts of murder but he had no idea of the date he'd be executed and he was terrified of the 'not knowing'. Could vary from days to years. That's what should happen and the victims families should be allowed to sit in and watch the execution from behind a screen. Yep
Original post by cherryred90s
A serial murderer who shows no remorse for his/her actions is evil. Anyone can commit a horrendous crime yes, but not everyone does because we have morals, unlike some people.

Everyone has an element of emotional pain, that doesn't mean we all go outside murdering innocent people. Mental illness is not an excuse for horrific crimes like that. I say the insane should still be locked up together for as long as a 'sane' offender but perhaps receive some type of therapy/counselling

the more accumulated emotional pain someone has the more likely they are to act violently towards another. violence comes in many forms. a violent thought is the start of a violent action and if left unchecked can lead to consequences.

those who 'have no morals' were most likely extensively abused as children or in adolescence. kids who grow up in a stable home environment with a lot of love and care will almost certainly not become murderers. furthermore, some societies have higher murder rates than others. this also indicates that environment plays a huge part in whether or not someone is 'evil'.

evil is an extremely unethical concept that negates empathy. when we call someone else evil, we fail to remember that we don't know this person's background or life experiences. we cannot know what someone else has gone through because we are not them. it's extremely easy to sit on the outside and label someone as evil without having all the information; our egos love to do that.

as a teen i experienced severe depression and anxiety and drugs pushed me to a point where i had a violent breakdown and threatened to kill people. i didn't physically assault anyone but i did shout a lot and smashed a window. if i'd been sent to prison i would've got a criminal record and my life would've been a lot more difficult than it is now. instead, i went to a psychiatric hospital where i received treatment and care.

all criminals are mentally ill. no criminals are evil. all criminals should be regarded as equals, no matter their crimes. prisons should be abolished and replaced with psychiatric hospitals (albeit more supportive ones than there currently are now). these people should be treated with the same level as respect as you or i receive. they should have all the care they require and all the resources they require. if they want to bake a cake, give them some cake mix. a psychologist should be on hand 24/7 for unconditional care and support, speaking calmly, kindly and rationally to whoever is in hospital.

they are our equals. i am your equal. humans need to get over ourselves before it's too late and ego destroys everything.

edit: i'll also add that crime is subjective. to one individual, killing an animal to eat it might be perfectly ok and to another it might be absolutely disgusting. it doesn't matter what the individual thinks: we have to look at the facts. for example:

does an animal want to die? no
is there a way around eating meat for most people? yes
what is that process? gradually transitioning to a vegetarian or vegan diet with absolute concern and consideration for one's nutritional requirements and therefore not pushing one's body too far
if it's not viable for someone to become vegetarian or vegan straight away/at all, what other options are there? humanely raised animals with the most painless death possible; campaigning for factory grown meat; campaigning for animal rights to mitigate negative consequences of one's impact; donating to highly cost effective animal rights charities http://www.animalcharityevaluators.org or doing research to educate ourselves and others

From an average donation of $1,000, Animal Equality would use about $380 towards investigations of the conditions of animals on farms and in other industries, paying for a tiny fraction of an investigation but reaching hundreds of thousands of people through media coverage. They would use about $200 to support grassroots outreach, funding two information stalls which would distribute about 650 pieces of literature each. They would use about $160 on social media and online outreach, and about $160 on bigger protests. Finally, they would spend about $60 on legal advocacy, mostly related to their investigations and protests, and about $40 on corporate outreach related to their investigations. Our rough estimate is that these combined activities would spare about 10,900 animals from life in industrial agriculture.

so yeah the point is that you and i aren't perfect. no human is. we've all done stuff we regret. so let's forgive ourselves first and foremost and assist and support everyone else unconditionally to realise our full potential as a species and change this world into the best place it can be :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Will a 25yr prison sentence bring back the victim?

No but will prevent the criminal from killing in this 25 years period and maybe the rehabilitation will make them a better person as they would know what made commit this crime and find other solutions to fix it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
serial offenders who commit the most horrendous crimes should be given the death penalty, but not immediately. So I watched a doc about a guy on death row for four accounts of murder but he had no idea of the date he'd be executed and he was terrified of the 'not knowing'. Could vary from days to years. That's what should happen and the victims families should be allowed to sit in and watch the execution from behind a screen. Yep

that's torture. if an average member of humanity actually believes this then we're not far away from a dystopia. imagine yourself in his or her shoes. it would be hell. who knows what he or she has been through to get to that point. also, a sane family would not want to watch someone else being murdered.
I think we should definitely bring it back. Nobody is afraid of prison anymore. when I watch documentaries about offenders who have committed capital murder or several accounts of child abuse, they seem somewhat happy in jail. They're surrounded by the company of others, they get food, showers, clothes, bed and even education. Ive also seen some people with phones and recording another offender getting beaten up and they're all laughing in the background. I even watched one guy baking a cake -__- How does that deter them from reoffending? We need tougher prison sentences with a very low but satisfactory level of comfort for less serious criminals

I find it incredibly difficult to imagine you saw prisoners showing mobile phones in a documentary that's the ultimate contraband. I would agree that prisons need to be toughened up and some offenders should be given longer sentences.

Even if you've committed murder you're human thus you have human rights. Having people constantly suspended in limbo would be ridiculous and our international reputation would definitely suffer. Anybody who'd want to go and watch an execution is an incredibly sick person (not in a good way)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, but keep it reserved for people who commit treason (Lee Rigby Killers, Terrorists that have left the country then returned, etc.) As these people aren't worth spending public money on to keep alive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending