The Student Room Group

What should I do after A - levels?

So I received my overall A- level results in august and was less than satisfied. In the end I got a D in A2 economics, a D in A2 IT, a D in AS business and a E in AS chemistry. I currently im preparing to resit one of my IT exams and 2 of my economics ones. I was 2 ums marks off getting C's in both of them, so I thinking if I really put in the effort I might be able to get Bs overall. But the problem is I still dont know what I would do after that, during my a-levels I lacked motivation because I didnt know what career to pursue. And I think the same might happen again while I resit my exams. I would like to go to university but Im put off by the debt I would get into and with only 2 full A2s I wouldnt be able to get into a very good one. Id really appreciate some advice on my situation! thanks!
Original post by arrandomguy
So I received my overall A- level results in august and was less than satisfied. In the end I got a D in A2 economics, a D in A2 IT, a D in AS business and a E in AS chemistry. I currently im preparing to resit one of my IT exams and 2 of my economics ones. I was 2 ums marks off getting C's in both of them, so I thinking if I really put in the effort I might be able to get Bs overall. But the problem is I still dont know what I would do after that, during my a-levels I lacked motivation because I didnt know what career to pursue. And I think the same might happen again while I resit my exams. I would like to go to university but Im put off by the debt I would get into and with only 2 full A2s I wouldnt be able to get into a very good one. Id really appreciate some advice on my situation! thanks!

If you're unsure as to what you want to do, going to uni now probably isn't the best idea- as well as the debt, you only get funded once, so you need to make sure you chose the right degree.

Could you try to get work experience in a range of fields over the course of the year, to see what you like and what you don't like? Do you have any idea at all what you might like to do?

If you have no idea at all, a good starting point might be to think about things you enjoy, and things you're good at, not school subjects but skills like dealing with people, or being very detail orientated. You could also try speaking to a careers service.

Do you have any hobbies at all which could lead to paying jobs?
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you're unsure as to what you want to do, going to uni now probably isn't the best idea- as well as the debt, you only get funded once, so you need to make sure you chose the right degree.

Could you try to get work experience in a range of fields over the course of the year, to see what you like and what you don't like? Do you have any idea at all what you might like to do?

If you have no idea at all, a good starting point might be to think about things you enjoy, and things you're good at, not school subjects but skills like dealing with people, or being very detail orientated. You could also try speaking to a careers service.

Do you have any hobbies at all which could lead to paying jobs?

Hey, thanks for getting back so fast - I've been working at a hotel for the past 3 years as a bartender and I enjoy that, mainly for the fact I get to meet lots of people, but it's not something I could do for the rest of my life because of the poor wages.
Hey, thanks for getting back so fast - I've been working at a hotel for the past 3 years as a bartender and I enjoy that, mainly for the fact I get to meet lots of people, but it's not something I could do for the rest of my life because of the poor wages.

Think about the transferable skills that you're gaining as a bartender. For instance
- customer service
- communication skills and dispute resolution
- teamwork
- sales (especially if you have targets, or are taught to upsell)
- training new members of staff
- time management

How could you apply those to other jobs?

You might also like to have a look at http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ which has some good ideas of things you can do as an alternative to going to uni.

If you enjoy working as a bartender, have you considered a career in something like event management?

Would there be any opportunity to progress at your current job?
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you enjoy working as a bartender, have you considered a career in something like event management?

Would there be any opportunity to progress at your current job?

Ive thought about it before but im good friends with some of the managers at work and they work a ridiculous amount of hours for the pay they get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending