The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Would it be too biased to say Sakho is somewhere in the top 10 defenders in the PL?

I think he's been fantastic but let's give him half a season at least first. He's been rotated out of the side by Rodgers in the past and had a lot of injury problems.
Genuinely brilliant to see some serious bite in the tackles today though. I know Milner ****ed up horribly for their goal but apart from that, it was great how everyone made a conscious effort to **** Willian up a bit. Benteke naturally ****s up everyone in his path.

It was discussed in the summer by myself and anyone advocating the Benteke signing (which was very few Liverpool fans on this board), and also the Milner signing, that it'd be good to get some PL-hardened steel in our team.

I don't think Rodgers built a bad squad, now that alls said and done. He wasn't the right man to get the best out of them, but the signings this summer were pretty damn good. As I've said before, there's enough in this team to get top four, and even challenge for honours if Sturridge stays fit. Upgrade Skrtel and get a new CM and we're on the way to big things.
Original post by The.Joker
I would love to have a mini Klopp doll. Miles better than any barbie doll. :biggrin: @Lyrical Prodigy

I just watched the highlights and gosh Coutinho the little beauty! I can see him and Benteke developing a really good partnership providing we can keep Benteke fit. Winning 3-1 away against Chelsea is absolutely fantastic. I love how Klopp went in for the win rather than playing safe and trying to get the draw, I am certainly changing from doubter to believer. :tongue:

Coutinho's goals were absolutely fantastic but I don't think he had a great game overall tbh. Hoping these goals kick off his form again.
Liverpool have now played 6 of their hardest 7 away fixtures so far with 9 points in those 6 fixtures: 2 wins (Stoke and Chelsea), 3 draws (Spurs, Everton, and Arsenal) and only 1 loss (United).

Man City are the other big fish to play away from home.
Moreno defensive awareness for the first goal was a prime Glen Johnson moment.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/00kd.mp4
I love Benteke's celebratory run after scoring a goal. Doesn't give a **** at all.
Original post by Zerforax
Coutinho's goals were absolutely fantastic but I don't think he had a great game overall tbh. Hoping these goals kick off his form again.

He can be quite anonymous in games but the thing is he can also come out of nowhere and change the game i.e. yesterday. The 2 goals away at Chelsea will certainly up his confidence and galvanise the team too. With Benteke back now Coutinho will have more luck linking up front as Benteke is so damn clinical. Coutinho is a bit of a 'sleeper hit' it takes time for him to find his feet but once he finds his form he's a good 'un. It was like last season iirc, it was only until November/December when Coutinho started to really shine in matches and get goals + assists regularly.

Liverpool have now played 6 of their hardest 7 away fixtures so far with 9 points in those 6 fixtures: 2 wins (Stoke and Chelsea), 3 draws (Spurs, Everton, and Arsenal) and only 1 loss (United).

Man City are the other big fish to play away from home.

All things considered it's not too bad- we are only 4 points off top 4. Not to mention our start to the season has been bit of a whirlwind with all the injuries and BR being sacked abruptly and then Klopp coming in. Our fixtures after City look pretty decent till mid-Jan when we have Arsenal at home.

What's everyones thought on the January transfer window, who/what positions should we target?

Original post by DiceTheSlice
Moreno defensive awareness for the first goal was a prime Glen Johnson moment.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/00kd.mp4
I love Benteke's celebratory run after scoring a goal. Doesn't give a **** at all.

Yeah he was caught ball watching, fair play to Ramires for seizing the opportunity. You can't switch off for a moment in the prem, hopefully he'll learn from his mistake.
Original post by The.Joker
He can be quite anonymous in games but the thing is he can also come out of nowhere and change the game i.e. yesterday. The 2 goals away at Chelsea will certainly up his confidence and galvanise the team too. With Benteke back now Coutinho will have more luck linking up front as Benteke is so damn clinical. Coutinho is a bit of a 'sleeper hit' it takes time for him to find his feet but once he finds his form he's a good 'un. It was like last season iirc, it was only until November/December when Coutinho started to really shine in matches and get goals + assists regularly.

All things considered it's not too bad- we are only 4 points off top 4. Not to mention our start to the season has been bit of a whirlwind with all the injuries and BR being sacked abruptly and then Klopp coming in. Our fixtures after City look pretty decent till mid-Jan when we have Arsenal at home.

What's everyones thought on the January transfer window, who/what positions should we target?

Yeah he was caught ball watching, fair play to Ramires for seizing the opportunity. You can't switch off for a moment in the prem, hopefully he'll learn from his mistake.

Coutinho went through a period where everything went through him though so he has the ability to dictate games. Not sure why he's a bit quiet lately. Agree that he's one of our few match winners in the side though.

Agree about our position - only 4 points off 4th place and you fancy that the likes of Leicester/West Ham to fall away. So if we say we're competing against Chelsea and Spurs for 4th place, can we do that with 27 games left in the season starting on the same points as Spurs and 6 ahead of Chelsea? Factor in that we've played so many tough away games too!

The key will be getting Sturridge and/or Benteke fit and scoring as we play as these "easier" games where we need to pick up lots of 3 points. I think our defensive record will improve with confidence/Klopp's new tactics and as we play those other teams.

Looking at the bare minimum for January? Possibly a midfield player and a LB. We don't have tons of options in midfield with Can being hot and cold, Allen not quite good enough, Henderson injured (but back soon!) and Milner being preferred on the flank.
We've been to Manchester United, Everton, Arsenal, Stoke, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton (losing 1 game). The only tough away game left for us is City which will be over with soon. We are 4 points off 4th place (4 from Man United, level with Spurs).

Leicester and West Ham will fall away.

Spurs still have to go to ANFIELD, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke, Everton and Manchester City. (In fact they have Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea THIS MONTH).

Manchester United still have to go to ANFIELD, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Stoke and Manchester City.

Chelsea still have to go to ANFIELD, Stoke, Spurs, Man United and Arsenal (they should not catch us up).

Top 4 is very much in our own hands. We're the only team to have every 'big game' at home in the 2nd half of the season, and that's AFTER Klopp can do his business in the transfer window.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
I think we discussed this before, how you felt that the Liverpool job was a death-trap (for Klopp) and that the top 4 is likely to remain static for a while. The truth is that football just isn't like that, and Klopp is a coach that doesn't fit into rational assumptions.

Original post by Fizzel
**** off you ****, who are you, the bringer of truth? You couldn't back up your point last time around, don't waste my time this time around.

Static top four strikes again ol boy
Static top four strikes again ol boy
I was actually waiting for this quote. Thought you'd actually wait till you were in the top 4, despite that having zero bearing on the argument. Waited till you beat Chelsea though before striking up the courage, which is amusing.

Didn't get the response I wanted with that last one, bitched out with a non quote, but this will but at least this confirms I hit a nerve with it. Delayed satisfaction but satisfaction none the less.
Original post by Fizzel
I was actually waiting for this quote. Thought you'd actually wait till you were in the top 4, despite that having zero bearing on the argument. Waited till you beat Chelsea though before striking up the courage, which is amusing.

Didn't get the response I wanted with that last one, bitched out with a non quote, but this will but at least this confirms I hit a nerve with it. Delayed satisfaction but satisfaction none the less.

I just like baiting you to be honest, and given that you didn't bother to quote me on the last one, I didn't even see it till a few days after!

I'm smug as **** we have Klopp tbh
I just like baiting you to be honest, and given that you didn't bother to quote me on the last one, I didn't even see it till a few days after!

I'm smug as **** we have Klopp tbh
I don't mind it tbh. The Fedal troll was good, I gave you credit for that was the best bait I've been a recipient of, hook line and sinker there. But the afters took the shine off somewhat, and you've just confirmed it ever since. Didn't actually mean not to quote you in there. I knew you'd seen it, you posted mins afterward, I should know I was waiting. Thought I'd played it wrong, was a bit gutted tbh, but as this has proved apparently not.

Fair enough on being smug, arguably/probably the best manager in the league.
Original post by Fizzel
I don't mind it tbh. The Fedal troll was good, I gave you credit for that was the best bait I've been a recipient of, hook line and sinker there. But the afters took the shine off somewhat, and you've just confirmed it ever since. Didn't actually mean not to quote you in there. I knew you'd seen it, you posted mins afterward, I should know I was waiting. Thought I'd played it wrong, was a bit gutted tbh, but as this has proved apparently not.

Fair enough on being smug, arguably/probably the best manager in the league.

No I don't think this proves you hit a nerve with me lol, if you had then I'd have replied then when I blatantly saw it. This is just me coming back for more baiting like the smug ****er I am. I do think the Fedal troll has misguided your perception of me but I don't need the validation there, just the kicks of trolling
No I don't think this proves you hit a nerve with me lol, if you had then I'd have replied then when I blatantly saw it. This is just me coming back for more baiting like the smug ****er I am. I do think the Fedal troll has misguided your perception of me but I don't need the validation there, just the kicks of trolling
If you enjoy it then by all means keep it up, I certainly find your 'thinking of you' posts funny tbh.
I ****ing love Klopp. He's head and shoulders above anyone else (literally). :love:

Chelsea’s Diego Costa will not face punishment for Martin Skrtel clash

Diego Costa will not face any retrospective action from the Football Association for his clash with Liverpool’s Martin Skrtel during Chelsea’s home defeat to Liverpool on Saturday.

The Spain forward appeared to flick his boot into Skrtel’s midriff as the pair tangled on the turf in the second half of the hosts’ 3-1 defeat. The referee, Mark Clattenburg, was close to the incident and looking directly at the players, and deemed no offence had taken place.

The fact he effectively dealt with it at the time rules out the possibility of using video evidence to instigate retrospective action against Costa, with the FA’s disciplinary department satisfied there was no malice in the forward’s challenge. Likewise Skrtel, with whom Costa has history given their clash in last season’s Capital One Cup semi-final at the same venue, did not make anything of the incident.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/02/diego-costa-chelsea-liverpool-martin-skrtel

Absolutely disgusting. If that had been a Chelsea player on the receiving end, he would've been writhing around like he'd been shot.
Probably their way of justifying Lucas not getting sent off lol
FA’s disciplinary department satisfied there was no malice in the forward’s challenge. Likewise Skrtel, with whom Costa has history given their clash in last season’s Capital One Cup semi-final at the same venue, did not make anything of the incident.

Absolutely disgusting. If that had been a Chelsea player on the receiving end, he would've been writhing around like he'd been shot.

So basically, what they saying is that because Skrtel didn't roll around on the floor like a baby, Costa's behaviour wasn't malicious? Wow.

I mean I'm really glad to see that Skrtel didn't make a big deal about it because Costa thrives on winding defenders up and making them do something stupid (e.g: Gabriel).
I can say with near certainty that if Skrtel had made a big deal out of it, Costa would've been off.

I find it ridiculous that players have to react like children in order for the referee to take notice. It's like where if a player tries to stay up, sometimes he won't get a foul/penalty when he would if he went to ground.

Also love how Skrtel didn't respond to Costa kicking him but more or less the entire Chelsea team crowded the referee for the Lucas foul. Then after the game all they do is bitch about that and completely ignore the Costa incident (i.e: Shed End).

Latest