The Student Room Group

Would you rather be born rich or smart?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waghwan My Don
Rich, what's the point of being intelligent if you're dead poor, your aim will be to get out of your circumstances and become affluent using your brain.

So being born with money in your pocket, just cuts out all the hard work, and allows you to be a pineapple under a palm tree.:u:

So I'd go with the money.

Unless you are made for life with some gigantic trust fund (and even those get manipulated) or massive amount of property or something (and that would need management) then it is pretty implausible that you can just laze around your whole life and enjoy the same high standard of living.
Original post by Awesome Genius
Smart. I couldn't imagine being stupid. If you were stupid you'd just spend your money on stupid things, like Android.

Haha! This is brilliant 😂
Reply 102
Original post by Bill_Gates
Would you rather be born rich or super smart?

rich couple of million
super smart but poor based in the UK

Bill

What we have learnt so far:
-Those who are poor and smart generally know it sucks and would rather be born rich

smart, I'm already poor and I just want to get the grades I truly deserve because I work and revise so hard but still don't get the grades I need and want :frown:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That might be how people feel when teenagers or early 20s.

However, as time goes on, I think a lot of people would do better being smart. Rich kids are good at losing money if they aren't smart. Poor kids who are smart tend to do better and better through life.

this is so statistically untrue lol rich kids actually float through life and wealth is transferred better than the poor since the poor cannot afford the services in order to assure wealth preservation. But suppose it's a nice idealistic way to look at the world :tongue:
this is so statistically untrue lol rich kids actually float through life and wealth is transferred better than the poor since the poor cannot afford the services in order to assure wealth preservation. But suppose it's a nice idealistic way to look at the world :tongue:

I think a lot of the 'float' you talk about comes from access to high quality education and opportunities. Of course the rich tend to grab more of those for their kids. I was more thinking about the difference between someone who is rich and stupid and someone poor but smart.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think a lot of the 'float' you talk about comes from access to high quality education and opportunities. Of course the rich tend to grab more of those for their kids. I was more thinking about the difference between someone who is rich and stupid and someone poor but smart.

You'll find quite a few "stupid" but rich people around. But having access to the best services makes a huge difference.
I would rather be rich because being poor has been the root of all my problems since being born
Reply 107
Smart, because if you're smart you'll know how to become rich and be clever enough to use your well earned money wisely.

If you're born rich, you don't value money as much, therefore won't be smart...
Original post by Gears265
I would rather be rich because being poor has been the root of all my problems since being born

this made me sad :frown:
Original post by SimSembi
Smart, because if you're smart you'll know how to become rich and be clever enough to use your well earned money wisely.

If you're born rich, you don't value money as much, therefore won't be smart...

Not all smart people are universally rich mind you. It's a very mixed bag.
Reply 110
Not all smart people are universally rich mind you. It's a very mixed bag.

oh yeah of course, but they all have the opportunity to become rich if they follow the right path
oh yeah of course, but they all have the opportunity to become rich if they follow the right path

questionable not quite sure what you mean by right path?
this made me sad :frown:

Well it's not all bad, it has made me more independent, I am willing to work for the minimum wage (I have no high standards), I will do any kind of work, I prioritise university over partying, I have no desires for luxuries like a car or house or holidays and I budget all the time.

The downside is always being stressed and anxious about family finances, **** state school education, stressed about getting 100% in my academics all the time and stressed about getting a top class career to support family. So basically a massive stress all the time, especially when family relies on you. But I am a harder worker for it and judging by all the rich people at my university more charitable. I probably give more to charity than all the rich students in my class put together, so stingy they are.
Rich. I've done 'smart' and it sucks.
born rich, hate being broke :frown:
Poor and smart.

Most people saying they're smart are it hasn't helped are probably over-estimating themselves.
Reply 116
questionable not quite sure what you mean by right path?

any path that leads them to become the best of their ability. Medicine, finance, law, science etc...
any path that leads them to become the best of their ability. Medicine, finance, law, science etc...

Doesn't mean you'll be rich, middle class yes.
Rich and dumb. They say "you're so smart" like it's a great thing, but dumb people are seemingly oblivious to all the things that make us smart people anxious and/or depressed and genuinely seem happier :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Would you rather be born rich or super smart?

rich couple of million
super smart but poor based in the UK

Bill

What we have learnt so far:
-Those who are poor and smart generally know it sucks and would rather be born rich

Born rich as bad things never happen to rich people and they are always happy

Quick Reply

Latest