The Student Room Group

Whats your biggest issue youre facing atm at university?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a 4th year and the possibility of having to go back down south to work terrifies me. I grew up in the south and had an absolutely horrible time! I'd rather move to the other side of the world than move back down south!
I'm first year and literally can't do the set work. I was always a last minute person at school and relied on my good memory and cramming to get my grades, but that doesn't really work with course work here :frown: Seriously considering dropping out as I psychically can't do it, I hate the subject which means I'm even less motivated, and it's too late to switch courses :frown:
I'm studying a course I don't like.
I can't do the reading, I don't understand most of it and it takes me about 15 mins to decipher a single paragraph like the one below. I like the content of the lectures but academic writing is so complicated :frown:

"For want of an established label let me propose as the nucleus to which I giveprominence the notions of projective semantics and, derivatively, of semanticprojection. Moreover, since the expression "semantic meaning" has been utterlytrivialized, I shall say, more pointedly, semantic import. In a nutshell, the semanticimport of words entails that ( 1) what is not named largely remains unnoticed or, inany event, impervious to cognitive development; and that, (2) the naming choice(selecting a given word within a given semantic field) involves a far-reaching interpretiveprojection. All told, then, projective semantics brings to the fore both theconstraints and the pathways that any given natural language imposes upon andaffords to our perceiving, thinking, and knowing. But let us proceed orderly."
Working in groups of people who i'm not comfortable around, and working with people who are evidently complacent about their education.
Original post by Raymat
I'm studying a course I don't like.

Why?
2nd year and laziness/lack of motivation
Friends :frown: Have plenty of people I'm friendly with but no close or close-ish friends.

Shortly following that is work, being given work for stuff not taught at all. Have to motivate self to learn anything at all, struggling with that.
Original post by Emily.97
Why?

It's not what I expected it to be. It has topics in it which I am not interested in and I did not come across them in my previous studies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Working out whether the people I hang out with actually like me or not. I know a few of them do, but I am not sure if they all do. I like most of them and I know you can't expect everyone to like you, but I want them to actually understand me a bit and not just think that I am awkward for no reason.
Reply 30
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
Like the title suggests, mention your biggest problem at uni so far. You could be 1st years,2nd or even 3rd.

i am currently 2nd year and my biggest issue/problem is friends. Especially with the course I am taking, there a little..nerdy? ! I would class them as friends but not best friends to hand out over the weekend or go pub etc. Still wondering if I will find anyone that has similar interests to me at my Uni or if I just need to grind through 2 more years?

My biggest issue is i'm slowly becoming a loner. I have no friends in my foundation year course and people who i hanged out with freshers are now hi and bye acquaintances. I think my flatmates will ousted me very soon so i'm glad next year for my 2nd year (First year though, ****ing ****e foundation year course) i will try and get a studio flat and become a recluse.

I hate being socially inept, i thought uni would end it but instead it's gotten me more depressed
Original post by Hyacinth Bucket
My son, Sheridan has such a brilliant mind as you full well know so no academic problems, but he is facing some money issues.

He just phoned home asking for money to buy silk pyjamas. Said his friend Tarquin laughs at him for having lower middle class pyjamas.

Sort him out plz

@quentinhamilton
people

i hate people
My macro lecturer can't speak English properly and just says 'OK' in every sentence to fill the gaps and make it seem like he can speak fluently. Can you guess where I'm studying?
Original post by Uyi 95
My biggest issue is i'm slowly becoming a loner. I have no friends in my foundation year course and people who i hanged out with freshers are now hi and bye acquaintances. I think my flatmates will ousted me very soon so i'm glad next year for my 2nd year (First year though, ****ing ****e foundation year course) i will try and get a studio flat and become a recluse.

I hate being socially inept, i thought uni would end it but instead it's gotten me more depressed

I feel bad for you, but I'm glad I didn't do a foundation year because I was considering it. I hope everything works out for you x
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Sort him out plz

@quentinhamilton

Hahahahaha Tarquin is rude:lol::lol:
Original post by quentinhamilton
Hahahahaha Tarquin is rude:lol::lol:

Can I still have him though? He so cute :333
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Can I still have him though? He so cute :333

Yes, take him please:laugh:
Original post by quentinhamilton
Yes, take him please:laugh: