The Student Room Group

Sinister sausage - will you still eat processed meat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IamJacksContempt
You never said overweight. You said "fat". Stop trying to worm your way out with lies.

Overweight is the same as fat. Neither is the same as obese.

Now stop putting words into peoples mouths and admit you were wrong and that what you said was irrelevant.
In most cases it does though, depending on what your interpretation of fat is.

She's just nitpicking anyway to avoid the actual argument. My point was that eating meat isn't comparable to being fat in terms of negative health effects or cost to the NHS for that matter.

Fat people live longer and have less health problems than normal weight people? So really eating meat is worse than being fat.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Overweight-people-live-longer-study-claims.aspx
Original post by redferry
Overweight is the same as fat. Neither is the same as obese.

Now stop putting words into peoples mouths and admit you were wrong and that what you said was irrelevant.

Totally wrong. Someone can be "overweight" without being fat. Someone cannot be obese without being fat.

It's frightening how little you appear to know regarding this.

Fat people live longer and have less health problems than normal weight people? So really eating meat is worse than being fat.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Overweight-people-live-longer-study-claims.aspx

Did you even bother to read past the title of that article? :rofl:

'Having a body mass index (BMI) of between 30 and 35 (medically termed ‘obese’) causes more deaths, but people whose BMI was higher than 35 were 29% more likely to die by the end of the study than their normal-weight counterparts.'

'The bottom line from this study was that being obese (all categories combined) increased the chance of dying compared to those with a normal BMI, although this was not the case for overweight individuals (BMI of between 25 and 29) or the lowest category of obesity (grade 1) on its own.However, a slight increase in lifespan doesn’t necessarily equate to an increased quality of life. Even being ‘just’ overweight can increase the chance of developing long-term health conditions, which while may not be fatal, can make life a lot less enjoyable.'
'However, a limitation of the study is that it only assessed the risk of dying from any cause (‘all-cause’ mortality), rather than death from specific diseases such as cancer, heart disease or diabetes. The association between weight and risk of death for different disease categories may vary. Disability and living with long-term diseases are also important to people and some conditions such as diabetes may show stronger links with weight at lower thresholds of BMI.'

You do realise that lower just above average BMI's don't necessarily mean that someone is fat? (Hence the reason your point about overweight being the same as fat is complete bull****)

Wow great study you provided there to prove your point...
Even too much water can kill - its true its called hyponatremia we all die of something you know.
Totally wrong. Someone can be "overweight" without being fat. Someone cannot be obese without being fat.

It's frightening how little you appear to know regarding this.

Did you even bother to read past the title of that article? :rofl:

'Having a body mass index (BMI) of between 30 and 35 (medically termed ‘obese’) causes more deaths, but people whose BMI was higher than 35 were 29% more likely to die by the end of the study than their normal-weight counterparts.'

'The bottom line from this study was that being obese (all categories combined) increased the chance of dying compared to those with a normal BMI, although this was not the case for overweight individuals (BMI of between 25 and 29) or the lowest category of obesity (grade 1) on its own.However, a slight increase in lifespan doesn’t necessarily equate to an increased quality of life. Even being ‘just’ overweight can increase the chance of developing long-term health conditions, which while may not be fatal, can make life a lot less enjoyable.'
'However, a limitation of the study is that it only assessed the risk of dying from any cause (‘all-cause’ mortality), rather than death from specific diseases such as cancer, heart disease or diabetes. The association between weight and risk of death for different disease categories may vary. Disability and living with long-term diseases are also important to people and some conditions such as diabetes may show stronger links with weight at lower thresholds of BMI.'

You do realise that lower just above average BMI's don't necessarily mean that someone is fat? (Hence the reason your point about overweight being the same as fat is complete bull****)

Wow great study you provided there to prove your point...

I'm not talking about obesity I'm talking about fat people, what about that is so incomprehensible to you?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey,

Thanks so much for the information :smile: I'm not sure what tests have been done :beard: Neither of my parents have had it, but it is in the family (many cousins/aunts/uncles) so my father and his siblings have regular checkups.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad :hugs: Hope you're doing okay, too.

When a Lynch or FAP gene is found, it's always recommended that you get the family in to be tested too. If you haven't been asked in yet, then no one in your immediate family will've had a positive test for the gene!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not talking about obesity I'm talking about fat people, what about that is so incomprehensible to you?

If they're not interchangeable then why did you link an article talking about obesity to try and prove your point that fat people live longer?

Just admit you're wrong, Christ.
I stay away from processed meat it's full of salt and other nasty stuff.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It overwhelmingly does harm yeah. I wouldn't suggest anyone start smoking just to ward off ulcerative colitis lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

On balance being over all harmful, and being only harmful aren't the same thing though
Original post by Jammy Duel
On balance being over all harmful, and being only harmful aren't the same thing though

I agree, was just trying to move things outside the realm of semantics and back to some realistic cost:benefit stuff.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I agree, was just trying to move things outside the realm of semantics and back to some realistic cost:benefit stuff.

What's ulcerative colitis got to do with eating red or processed food
This actually interfered with my breakfast the other day, and now I've decided I wish I hadn't seen this story :'(

I switched the grill on to make sausages and then switched it back off, sigh.
Original post by Bigdobber
What's ulcerative colitis got to do with eating red or processed food

They were talking about smoking. Smoking is protective against ulcerative colitis.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
This actually interfered with my breakfast the other day, and now I've decided I wish I hadn't seen this story :'(

I switched the grill on to make sausages and then switched it back off, sigh.

Unless you are eating these, I wouldn't be too worried.

Original post by DiddyDec
Unless you are eating these, I wouldn't be too worried.

'25% more meat' -- lmao that suggests a pretty low starting point
'25% more meat' -- lmao that suggests a pretty low starting point

If you are eating decent sausages such The Black Farmer's (don't take that the wrong way) they are not processed other than the meat being minced and put in sausage casings.
Original post by DiddyDec
If you are eating decent sausages such The Black Farmer's (don't take that the wrong way) they are not processed other than the meat being minced and put in sausage casings.

Oh. Well thanks for that, that's helpful info.
Oh. Well thanks for that, that's helpful info.

Now you can eat your breakfast in peace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending