The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's weird and kind of unfair that internationals and mature applicants have to send in written work considering they don't have an abundance of written work from school in English. Surely the various aptitude tests are enough? :s-smilie:
Original post by Nancy97
I don't know, that idea suddenly came to my mind out of nowhere. Probably because topics in my written essays may stand out in terms of being unusual for a written work, haha. :biggrin:

Yup, I am going to send both versions, just in case. Thank you! :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with unusual. Like I always say to the Oxbridge hopefuls I do mock interviews for (I work for a company who offers mock Oxbridge interview prep/practise), as long as you don't say something COMPLETELY outrageous (I usually use the example of Holocaust denial! :eek: ), then tiz all good :biggrin:
Original post by antigone-
I think it's weird and kind of unfair that internationals and mature applicants have to send in written work considering they don't have an abundance of written work from school in English. Surely the various aptitude tests are enough? :s-smilie:

Not really. I'm doing A-Level English Lang/Lit and I don't have anything to submit from my course. My coursework pieces were all creative writing so I had to write up an essay from scratch.
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Not really. I'm doing A-Level English Lang/Lit and I don't have anything to submit from my course. My coursework pieces were all creative writing so I had to write up an essay from scratch.

Surely you had an AS analysis type essay?

And you could do that - you have teachers (English proficient) who can mark that for you. Mature/international applicants don't always have the same support :/

And you could do that - you have teachers (English proficient) who can mark that for you. Mature/international applicants don't always have the same support :/

Nope. Plus my sixth form barely gets kids into Russell Group unis let alone Oxford.
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
Nope. Plus my sixth form barely gets kids into Russell Group unis let alone Oxford.

That'll probably work out for you statistics-wise. I go to a school where we get roughly one student a year into Oxbridge and a couple into RGs - I think a large percentage applicants probably go to schools like this.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Nothing wrong with unusual. Like I always say to the Oxbridge hopefuls I do mock interviews for (I work for a company who offers mock Oxbridge interview prep/practise), as long as you don't say something COMPLETELY outrageous (I usually use the example of Holocaust denial! :eek: ), then tiz all good :biggrin:

Nothing wrong with the unusual until it's unusual in a negative context... :biggrin:
Well, I was thinking to submit a written that is actually a rhetorical exercise (I have a subject called Rhetoric and Oratory), that's why I referred to it as 'unusual'... :biggrin:
Holocaust denial?! Did somebody really say that?! :eek: I suppose you didn't expect to hear such statements!
At least I've realised that there is such a variety of personalities that apply to Oxbridge and that it doesn't necessarily lead to a conclusion that they are all the best of the best....
Original post by Nancy97
Nothing wrong with the unusual until it's unusual in a negative context... :biggrin:
Well, I was thinking to submit a written that is actually a rhetorical exercise (I have a subject called Rhetoric and Oratory), that's why I referred to it as 'unusual'... :biggrin:
Holocaust denial?! Did somebody really say that?! :eek: I suppose you didn't expect to hear such statements!
At least I've realised that there is such a variety of personalities that apply to Oxbridge and that it doesn't necessarily lead to a conclusion that they are all the best of the best....

No one's ever said it (certainly not in my mock interviews). It's more that I encourage people to be a bit 'out there' and to not be afraid to say seemingly silly things, so long as they can justify what they say and have a clear line of argument. I always tell them that the exception to this rule is saying something awful like "Hitler didn't massacre the Jews", which is just gonna result in you not getting an offer, however much you can BS a defence to such a position :eek:
I'm submitting a piece from AS - it's coursework from last year, I've already checked that it's ok. However I think it may be over 2000 words but only slightly. Will that be OK to submit? They hardly count the words! Also do you think I should get my teacher to write a mark on it? It was finally given full marks but this is the first draft, I didn't do all that much to it afterwards. Applying to English at University college btw
Original post by alexandraxmarie
You will be tested in a sense if you get an interview - by way of discussion of an act and applying it to situations.

Yeah, I am quite nervous about that (that is if I get an interview). :/
LNAT Scores

We have received everyone's LNAT score - they came in over the weekend after a delay that occurred beyond Oxford's control.

(An update in exam system’s software resulted in the multiple choice scores being delivered on time but the essays not being included.)

Quite a few applicants have emailed us about this - we are working through sending out replies. Things are getting back on track and

there should not be any knock-on implications.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh God, guys, are they really that strict about the word limit? :s-smilie::frown:
Should I include a title of the work as well, even though I should fill in written work's name in the cover sheet? :/
I'm really pessimistic about this... :frown:
And to all applicants here who will be taking tests: I wish you the best of luck and I hope we will gain an opportunity to meet in December! :biggrin: I'll keep my fingers crossed to you all!
(edited 8 years ago)
WAIT, Is the limit for written work 2000 WORDS or CHARACTERS?
Original post by Nancy97

Words !

Definitely yes. Even if you are from the worst school in the UK, you will still have better support to apply in the UK. That seems natural and so maybe it is not unfair. I am an international and my school has seemingly never sent anyone to any British university. And I hated having to correct my teacher's English (in the reference).
I am really glad that I don't have to submit written work. We barely do any coursework because we are simply mostly not assessed that way, so it would have been difficult.
But I just hope that they take it somehow into account that international applicants (as long as they are not going to fancy private schools) have much less support to apply in the UK than UK students.
Original post by Nancy97

2000 characters would be a lame essay!
Original post by scblx
Definitely yes. Even if you are from the worst school in the UK, you will still have better support to apply in the UK. That seems natural and so maybe it is not unfair. I am an international and my school has seemingly never sent anyone to any British university. And I hated having to correct my teacher's English (in the reference).
I am really glad that I don't have to submit written work. We barely do any coursework because we are simply mostly not assessed that way, so it would have been difficult.
But I just hope that they take it somehow into account that international applicants (as long as they are not going to fancy private schools) have much less support to apply in the UK than UK students.

Hopefully they do, good luck with your application! :smile:
Original post by tamara98
Words !

I thought 2000 characters was the limit because I counted about 1300 words so I was suddenly worried. xD

Original post by MouseyBrown
2000 characters would be a lame essay!

Yeah, I've realised that... '-.- I'm really lost sometimes... xD
Original post by scblx

Same for me, I had to help out my teacher for writting his reference in english, and had no help at all when writting my PS, which is quite scary.

Let alone help with the interview (If I get shortlisted).
Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks! I've yet to scan it and send it off, in fact, I was doing it the other day when I had this sneaky suspicion that it was too long.

Latest

Trending

Trending