The Student Room Group

Why aren't people angry at the economic migrants

They are abusing the asylum process and drowning out the voices of actual refugees asking for help, largely young men who are draining a system that should be helping the needy, women and children, old and infirmed.

Not to mention these men are illegally crossing international borders and breaking the law, costing us incalculable amounts in processing costs that could have been better spent actually helping Syrian refugees.

Why are so many people not angry with this, if people really cared about the refugees from all parts of the world surely this should be our top priority. Women and children first, actual refugees first....... I don't get it at all.

Scroll to see replies

Because the people who aren't believe them to be refugees, despite travelling all the way across Europe and not claiming asylum until they reach the wealthy parts.
So OP how many Jewish refugees went to France and Spain instead of the UK? Were they also looking for money?
Original post by The_Internet
So OP how many Jewish refugees went to France and Spain instead of the UK? Were they also looking for money?

Enlighten me on the relevance of your post, because I fail to see it.
Because emotions and media narrative
Original post by The_Internet

One trick pony alert
Original post by TheArtofProtest
The Jews, whom the Nazi's (and some other European countries) were persecuting, fled from Germany and ended up in far flung places like the United States, Russia, Israel, the UK and Arabia.

If the concept of a Refugee entails that he or she should simply travel to the nearest country and wait until their country is habitable and they are under no threat of persecution before they return, then there would not be any diaspora originating through the movement of refugees.

Refugees (and indeed many people) want to better themselves as best they can and the way they think they can do that, is to emigrate or flee to a country which offers them the best prospect for doing so.

To deny others the same benefit that you would derive for yourself, simply as a result of fortune having been born on a particular piece of land, is not only selfish, but one of the most despicable acts that a human could ever engage in.

Well why dont we just put the like 5billion people from countries poorer than Germany and UK and bring them all to these two countries? That would work.

What do you reckon?
Original post by RodgertheRabbit
Enlighten me on the relevance of your post, because I fail to see it.

When you are enlightened please tell me, I can't see it either.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Well why dont we just put the like 5billion people from countries poorer than Germany and UK and bring them all to these two countries? That would work.

What do you reckon?

That is why we need border controls. If Africa and the Middle East had their way half of them would be in Germany and the UK. The below map is rather fitting for this argument.

http://thewealthwatchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Assad-2.jpg
They are abusing the asylum process and drowning out the voices of actual refugees asking for help, largely young men who are draining a system that should be helping the needy, women and children, old and infirmed.

Not to mention these men are illegally crossing international borders and breaking the law, costing us incalculable amounts in processing costs that could have been better spent actually helping Syrian refugees.

Why are so many people not angry with this, if people really cared about the refugees from all parts of the world surely this should be our top priority. Women and children first, actual refugees first....... I don't get it at all.

People aren't mad at the 'economic migrants' because there are hardly any of them. Also , can you blame them for coming to the more wealthy countries - if your family were starving and without home surely the uk is a better destination than Greece!

By the way , the system does help the needy , women and children , old etcetera etcetera , it's just people like you are too blind to actually notice.

]]

Also , far more REFUGEES go to Lebanon and Turkey than the UK and Germany. surely you'd rather them be safe in a wealthy country like Britain than unstable and homeless in Lebanon? Or are you that selfish that you really couldn't care less?
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
People aren't mad at the 'economic migrants' because there are hardly any of them. Also , can you blame them for coming to the more wealthy countries - if your family were starving and without home surely the uk is a better destination than Greece!

By the way , the system does help the needy , women and children , old etcetera etcetera , it's just people like you are too blind to actually notice.

Leaving a country due to war / persecution = Refugee
Leaving a country because the next gives you a house and car = Economic Migrants

I don't blame these economic migrants one bit. If i had the means to access the a country that would hand me and my family a couple of hundred thousand pounds worth of education, healthcare, house , benefits and so on... I would risk my children without a thought
I can tell you that a a flippant attitude probably won't help.

5 billion people are not fleeing, nor are 500 million people fleeing, nor are 50 million people fleeing and nor are 5 million people fleeing.

Fleeing what? Turkey? Lebanon? Romania? Sanctuary but one filled without luxuries?

Lets just get to the nub of this shall we. You do not care about starving, persecuted impoverished people of which there are hundreds of millions around the world right now.. you care about these economic migrants because you are a simpleton who reacts with emotion and irrational thought and the big picture (REALITY)

Of all the people in the world that need refuge, these Iphone owning, payed about £2000 pound to smugglers syrian families and now residing in safe countries are pretty low down on the list yet because you can see them in the media, you "care"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12

To deny others the same benefit that you would derive for yourself, simply as a result of fortune having been born on a particular piece of land, is not only selfish, but one of the most despicable acts that a human could ever engage in.

If someone offered me free money, I'd take it. That doesn't mean that if someone didn't offer me free money, that they'd be committing "one of the most despicable acts that a human could ever engage in."
Everyone wants free stuff. Other people aren't selfish or dispicable for not giving them all the free stuff they desire.
]]

Also , far more REFUGEES go to Lebanon and Turkey than the UK and Germany. surely you'd rather them be safe in a wealthy country like Britain than unstable and homeless in Lebanon? Or are you that selfish that you really couldn't care less?

No No screw them and anyone without the health or ££££'s. Only people making the dangerous journey for the pot of gold deserve the pot of gold.

#STOP THE DROWNINGS. #WE MUST STOP THE DROWNINGS.# INVITE MORE TO STOP THE DROWININGS YOU HEARTLESS PEOPLE #REFUGEES WELCOME
Why would you hate someone trying to make the best for themselves and their families?

I mean, talk about emotion...

Simply redesign the system around these people so it works fairly and sensibly.

Hate the sin love the sinner is an old favourite.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Fleeing what? Turkey? Lebanon? Romania? Sanctuary but one filled without luxuries?

Lets just get to the nub of this shall we. You do not care about starving, persecuted impoverished people of which there are hundreds of millions around the world right now.. you care about these economic migrants because you are a simpleton who reacts with emotion and irrational thought and the big picture (REALITY)

Of all the people in the world that need refuge, these Iphone owning, payed about £2000 pound to smugglers syrian families and now residing in safe countries are pretty low down on the list yet because you can see them in the media, you "care"

They are economic migrants. That has been well established. Many are from perfectly safe areas.
The below thread in the OP has my view on these "refugees";
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3553191
I'm having a difficult time pinning down exactly what your objections are.

The fact that people are (and have been) exploiting the system or the fact that the people coming here to exploit the system are foreigners?

My objection is just because your circumstances are not as great as peoples in the UK does not mean you should be allowed to come to the UK . You have stated clearly it is immoral to deny these economic migrants access to the UK and her citizens money. It is in fact the moral thing to do because:

1) Deaths will incur - People will risk their families lives for the juicy goodies at the end of the journey

2) The only people being rewarded with the luxurious UK lifestyle are those who are NOT in the greatest need.

Do you think its moral to accept these Syrian economic migrants because they could afford the smugglers fee's and are able bodied whilst ignoring the hundreds of millions of people around the world who are in far greater danger and poverty? ("But they aren't making the journey") is not an acceptable answer
Original post by scrotgrot
Why would you hate someone trying to make the best for themselves and their families?

Because of the negative impact it has on my family and community

The thing is this country is what it is because of the work of past generations

Newcomers don't want to do this work in their own countries and simply want to jump on the band wagon and take what they can without having to contribute in the first place.

In nature this is called a parasitic relationship and the results are never positive.
There does exist a subtle difference between maintaining the current system so that it benefits you only (whilst you stop others (read: foreigners) from leeching from it) and reforming the system so that it benefits neither you or them.

The latter has some semblance of equality whilst the former is simply greed.

The issue is not whether or not people will want free stuff but whether keeping the status quo system of benefits but denying foreigners is an active form of discrimination against people who simply had the misfortune of being born in a land where there was no system.

Good god.

FREE HOUSE FOR EVERYONE. FREE CAR FOR EVERYONE. FREE HEALTHCARE FOR THE WORLD. FREE EDUCATION FOR THE WORLD. 6 BILLION PEOPLE COME TO THE UK COS LIFES NOT FAIR AND DISCRIMINATION

I'm too blind to actually notice, the ad hominem doesn't help, and I also never said the system doesn't help those demographics. So that's a straw man argument.

The system is undeniably being abused by people who aren't refugees, and the reason many refugees are homeless and starving in neighbouring Syrian countries is preciously because our resources are being monopolised by these economic migrants, when the resources would be better spent housing and feeding the actual refugees in neighbouring countries of Syria.

You have nothing but an emotive argument, with misrepresentations of other peoples argument to make yours seem better by comparison. Coupled with a false narrative of reality; staving people do not own android phones and pay people smugglers thousands of pounds then traverse the width of Europe carrying their belongings on their backs. These are not the actions of people suffering from starvation.

Starving people generally die in this world, which is the cold reality, and the resources meant to save them are being consumed by young well fed men who have picked up and moved to Europe claiming to be refugees.

You can see how someone might see your post as disingenuous, bordering on an outright lie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending