The Student Room Group

Sharing my 1000 calorie diet as it starts today

I'm fairly active and I am not by any means overweight - I just want to get rid of those last few stubborn lbs of fat whilst challenging myself psychologically if ya know what I mean. (my body fat is at 12%)

I'm 6foot tall (183cm) and currently weigh 76kg (168lbs)

I want to get down to 70kg (155lbs). The plan is to make this weight loss mostly fat, and here's how I plan on doing it.

I will be fasting 18 hours a day (sleep is included in this) and my window of eating will be 9am to 3pm

Meal plan:
Breakfast = high in fiber cereal + 400ml semi skimmed milk + 1 scoop whey + 1multivitamin = 400kcal
Afternoon meal = 2 scoops of whey = 200kcal
Evening meal = 2 scoops of whey + 400ml semi skimmed milk = 400kcal

Exercise plan:
30mins of moderate speed jogging
30mins weight training every other day

I should reach my goal in about 4 weeks.

This is based on the 'assumption' that my daily calorie needs are 3200kcal though it's not really an assumption since it's fairly true.

I thought I'd share this to discuss weight loss with anyone else who is dieting or planning on doing so any time soon. What are your thoughts on my plan? What's your diet plan ?

EDIT:
I am very aware that 1000kcal is usually considered a bit too low for fat loss. However, I'm not only doing this for fat loss, I'm also doing it for the sake of it too. By this I mean I like pushing myself psychologically, I've done several 7 day water fasts over the years too. So any comments regarding "1000kcal is too low" are not needed, even though it may be true. I was previously capable of doing 1200kcal a day safely while being monitored, so if anything is going wrong I will of course increase my caloric intake. I am NOT doing this unsupervised.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're basically going to force your body into starvation mode...Give yourself more time and a more realistic diet because for someone your height and weight, that's absolutely nuts.
Reply 2
1000 calories a day would be alright for dieting if you were a very petite female who did little to no exercise. But you're not petite, or female, or sedentry. So this diet is doomed to fail and/or do damage to your body.
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
I'm very active and I am not by any means overweight - I just want to get rid of those last few stubborn lbs of fat if ya know what I mean. (my body fat is at 12%)

I want to get down to 70kg (155lbs). The plan is to make this weight loss mostly fat, and here's how I plan on doing it.

Agree with the others. You say you want to lose your weight as mostly fat but with that few calories you will lose a ton of muscle as well if you could even manage to stick to the diet which sounds unlikely.
Original post by tamara98
You're basically going to force your body into starvation mode...Give yourself more time and a more realistic diet because for someone your height and weight, that's absolutely nuts.

Original post by suirrel
1000 calories a day would be alright for dieting if you were a very petite female who did little to no exercise. But you're not petite, or female, or sedentry. So this diet is doomed to fail and/or do damage to your body.

Original post by Sparster
Agree with the others. You say you want to lose your weight as mostly fat but with that few calories you will lose a ton of muscle as well if you could even manage to stick to the diet which sounds unlikely.

Actually, 1200kcal worked fine last time and I was monitored. Heck I even used to do 7 day water fasts. My metabolism wasn't effected in any way, I didn't fail, and it didn't damage my body at all. Though I do agree 1000kcal a day is slightly on the low side of what may be acceptable when dieting. Everyone's different, and it just takes time to learn what your body is capable of, and you wouldn't know unless you tried.

What is recommended as 'safe' is simply an average value based on the general population.
(edited 8 years ago)
You dont know what youre doing. Do 1800 calories and exercise a lot.
Original post by BulkingTo6ft
You dont know what youre doing. Do 1800 calories and exercise a lot.

Everyone has different reasons for a low calorie diet. Yours are evidently different to mine.
Reply 7
You're asking us for thoughts on your diet plan, at least try to take them into consideration and understand that it's for your own safety. Besides, it's also extremely easy to gain back weight after a crash diet.
Original post by tamara98
You're asking us for thoughts on your diet plan, at least try to take them into consideration and understand that it's for your own safety. Besides, it's also extremely easy to gain back weight after a crash diet.

I did take them in to consideration. I said I will increase my calorie intake if things aren't going well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Cue no weight loss on 1000 calorie diets
I'm fairly active and I am not by any means overweight - I just want to get rid of those last few stubborn lbs of fat whilst challenging myself psychologically if ya know what I mean. (my body fat is at 12%)

I will be fasting 18 hours a day (sleep is included in this) and my window of eating will be 9am to 3pm

Meal plan:
Breakfast = high in fiber cereal + 400ml semi skimmed milk + 1 scoop whey + 1multivitamin = 400kcal
Afternoon meal = 2 scoops of whey = 200kcal
Evening meal = 2 scoops of whey + 400ml semi skimmed milk = 400kcal

Exercise plan:
30mins of moderate speed jogging
30mins weight training every other day

I should reach my goal in about 4 weeks.

This is based on the 'assumption' that my daily calorie needs are 3200kcal though it's not really an assumption since it's fairly true.

I thought I'd share this to discuss weight loss with anyone else who is dieting or planning on doing so any time soon. What are your thoughts on my plan? What's your diet plan ?

EDIT:
I am very aware that 1000kcal is usually considered a bit too low for fat loss. However, I'm not only doing this for fat loss, I'm also doing it for the sake of it too. By this I mean I like pushing myself psychologically, I've done several 7 day water fasts over the years too. So any comments regarding "1000kcal is too low" are not needed, even though it may be true. I was previously capable of doing 1200kcal a day safely while being monitored, so if anything is going wrong I will of course increase my caloric intake. I am NOT doing this unsupervised.

Do you mind me asking why you want to lose weight? Your weight is good for your height?!, if you want to bulk up your aim should be gaining weight with a high calorie high protein diet and not a low calorie one
1000 Calories a day is below male and female minimums.
I already do this but my calorie intake is only 500 calories per day with 3 litres water... it works!! Go for it
This just sounds like a method of self torture.
Good luck I suppose. You're not the first and you won't be the last, though I think most people would opt for Lyle's RFL PSMF.
Original post by samina_ay
I already do this but my calorie intake is only 500 calories per day with 3 litres water... it works!! Go for it

500 calories sounds pretty dangerous for weight loss :tongue:
500 calories sounds pretty dangerous for weight loss :tongue:

Still alive :biggrin: and it isn't that bad
Wouldn't want to be your angus when you go to the kaze.
Also, enjoy the catabolic state brah:yy:
Original post by samina_ay

Omg please don't do this, it's not good. :frown: I went through a phase when I wouldn't eat and I would starve myself, it's not good for your health :frown:

OP that's far too low, especially for a male of your height. Just eat healthy food, and do cardio AND weights. Weights are very good way of burning fat and gaining muscle definition.

Quick Reply

Latest