The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE exam question thread

i'm making this thread in hopes of getting help on questions i find difficult on past papers, i will be bumping this everytime i find a question hard to understand, so please help out if you can :smile: my non-calc is on wednesday and calc is on tuesday next week. the faster the help, the better :smile:

the first question is silly but i honestly have no idea what else it wants :/

''solve y^2=49''
you must write down all possible solutions

it's worth 2 marks, what is the other mark?

Scroll to see replies

There are two solutions.
you need to work out the value of y and because y is squared which equals 49 to find y which is the oppopsite way of solving the equation you do the square root of 49 which is 7 so y=7.

Hope that helps
(i think it's right)
:smile:
Original post by SeanFM
There are two solutions.

Is it y=7 or y=-7 ? because -7 squared makes positive 49
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx

Both :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
Both :smile:

Yay! i'm happy i got it right algebra's like the only thing i can do in maths :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx

see this is why i feel like i will make silly mistakes, i didnt even give the negatives a thought :frown:
tbh i didn't either until seanFM mentioned that but dw when you check your paper always read what the question asks for - i'm not the best person to ask about maths though :frown:
Reply 8
Every mistake now that is overcome, is one mistake less in the exam!
Reply 9
Original post by jamestg
Every mistake now that is overcome, is one mistake less in the exam!

hopefully i can keep those in mind, it might just go out the other ear lol
Just work on those mistakes. If you don't work on them, you won't improve.

Constantly getting minus numbers wrong? Who cares you're in Y11?! Watch a video and do questions on them. Still cancelling algebraic fractions incorrectly, re learn the stuff and try again. YOU'VE GOT SO MUCH TIME TO IMPROVE BETWEEN NOW AND JUNE - USE IT WISELY!

Spoiler

Bump

find the integer that satisfies the equation x^3 - 2x = 21
show all your workings

i've never even gone through solving equations like this before where there's two unknown values T_T
Oh wait, my bad didn't read the question properly
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Megan_101
Factor theorem?:biggrin:

sorry that is definitely not on my specification :redface: is there anyway around it? a more simpler way? it was on 2014's wjec paper so the specification definitely should still be the same as now
You could keep substituting values in for x until you get the right answer? It's pretty obvious when you think of it like that
Original post by jamestg
Just work on those mistakes. If you don't work on them, you won't improve.

Constantly getting minus numbers wrong? Who cares you're in Y11?! Watch a video and do questions on them. Still cancelling algebraic fractions incorrectly, re learn the stuff and try again. YOU'VE GOT SO MUCH TIME TO IMPROVE BETWEEN NOW AND JUNE - USE IT WISELY!

Spoiler

im so jelly of you, that is sooo good, but honestly, i really want to just end it this november, i dont want another two exams on top of the summers one :3
Original post by Megan_101
You could keep substituting values in for x until you get the right answer? It's pretty obvious when you think of it like that

will they not penalise you for that? i thought it would be more mathematical :smile: but thanks!
Sorry, ignore that comment, didn't read the question properly:colondollar:
That really sucks, I really wanted to do it in november too but I obviously couldn't.

Honestly, if you work really really hard between now and the exam, you won't need to revise maths during the exam season :smile:

(I didn't during exam season, I just made sure that before exams started I understood everything and could answer pretty much any question!)
I didn't do that exam board sorry but I doubt they would. If it's only a GCSE question it probably isn't that complicated :redface:.

Quick Reply

Latest