The Student Room Group

What is it with the homosexual avatars I see these days ? In my opinion, changing your avatar to display two men kissing, which many find awkward whether they are homophobic or not, is an immature way of showing your support for homosexuality on a public forum.

I am not homophobic, but I do not act like a child to support what is meant to be a good cause.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
What is it with the homosexual avatars I see these days ? :s

Well to cut a long story short....a user on here called an avatar of two men kissing 'innapropriate' and many of us disagreed so I suppose it was a bit of a protest against his word, but at the same time spreading positivity! :smile:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well to cut a long story short....a user on here called an avatar of two men kissing 'innapropriate' and many of us disagreed so I suppose it was a bit of a protest against his word, but at the same time spreading positivity! :smile:

Well it is inappropriate to some. It offends some peoples moral or religious beliefs or both. Changing your avatar to display homosexual activity doesn't support anything, nor does it spread positivism, because I for one surely do not want to see two men kissing.

A better way to display your support for homosexuality is to have an avatar that says "I support homosexuality", not show a picture that is distasteful to a large audience.

Keep in my mind that I say all this while I have nothing against people who are gay.
Reply 3
Well it is inappropriate to some. It offends some peoples moral or religious beliefs or both.

I'm not going to make a massive speech again over this, but someone who is biologically homosexual should not have to pander to the beliefs of religious people who CHOOSE their beliefs.

God I can see this kicking off again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well it is inappropriate to some. It offends some peoples moral or religious beliefs or both. Changing your avatar to display homosexual activity doesn't support anything, nor does it spread positivism, because I for one surely do not want to see two men kissing.

A better way to display your support for homosexuality is to have an avatar that says "I support homosexuality", not show a picture that is distasteful to a large audience.

Keep in my mind that I say all this while I have nothing against people who are gay.

There is nothing distasteful about two people of the same sex kissing.

Well that's exactly our point, it shouldn't be offensive. Two men expressing love to one another is hardly something to deem as 'inappropriate'.

A picture isn't distasteful, it gives off the same message.Why say it in words when a picture can speak a million different words?
That is your opinion, one you are entitled to, and one that many do not share with you.

The many who disagree with me are wrong.
Original post by Captain Jack

It is those who find it so :tongue:. It's a subjective thing.

It isn't at all! It's an expression of love. Would it still be distasteful if it was a man or woman? or two babies? or two rabbits?

Certainly doubt it would be as 'distasteful' as two men, or two women.
Reply 9
That is your opinion, one you are entitled to, and one that many do not share with you.

I share that opinion hahaha it's absolutely no different to a male and a female kissing and their life choices should not offend you when they don't have anything to do with you. And your religion is your choice. You're going to see people of the same sex kissing whether you like it or not, its 2015 get over it
It isn't at all! It's an expression of love. Would it still be distasteful if it was a man or woman? or two babies? or two rabbits?

Certainly doubt it would be as 'distasteful' as two men, or two women.

Don't stop there!
How about if it was a man and a child? A woman and a dog? A man and a dead person?
Original post by keromedic
It is those who find it so :tongue:. It's a subjective thing.

Not really. If people find two people of the same sex kissing distasteful "causing dislike or aversion; disagreeable or unpleasant." I seriously have to question why.

I find urinating in the street distasteful. Giving someone a kiss is meaningless and a nothing. If anyone has a problem with it, it is a behaviour has been learnt and is simply a prejudice that should be unlearnt.
Well that's exactly our point, it shouldn't be offensive. Two men expressing love to one another is hardly something to deem as 'inappropriate'.

A picture isn't distasteful, it gives off the same message.Why say it in words when a picture can speak a million different words?

Here's the problem, you're speaking from your side only. Some people do not acknowledge homosexual activity as normal, whilst still respecting homosexual people. These people (myself included) find it off-putting to see homosexual activity for that matter, quite literally, it is nauseating.

If you are going to now debate with me and tell me that I am not normal because of how I feel upon seeing homosexual activity, then I will let you know in advance that I can not change the way I feel, much like how I can not force myself to not throw up when eating broccoli.

This is not to say that hating homosexual people is right, but disliking the activity is perfectly natural. Similarly, I hate the activity of smoking, but I do not hate smokers.

EDIT: changed wrong to right in last sentence
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kristen2
Don't stop there!
How about if it was a man and a child? A woman and a dog? A man and a dead person?

There is a difference between homosexuality and illegality. :colonhash:
Original post by Heavymetal123
Yesterday was my girlfriends birthday and i surprised her with 3 packs of always ultra tampons. However it was a joke and i actually got her a watch. The moment was priceless, she was so excited while unwrapping the present and her expression changed drastically after opening it. I wanted to make it believable so i left making her believe it was her actual present. I was going to surprise her today but unfortunately shes not answering my calls or replying back to my texts when shes read it.
To be fair, you bought her luxury goods, as per HMRC's definition.

If you insist mate.
Reply 16
Here's the problem, you're speaking from your side only. Some people do not acknowledge homosexual activity as normal, whilst still respecting homosexual people. These people (myself included) find it off-putting to see homosexual activity for that matter, quite literally, it is nauseating.

If you are going to now debate with me and tell me that I am not normal because of how I feel upon seeing homosexual activity, then I will let you know in advance that I can not change the way I feel, much like how I can not force myself to not throw up when eating broccoli.

This is not to say that hating homosexual people is right, but disliking the activity is perfectly natural. Similarly, I hate the activity of smoking, but I do not hate smokers.

EDIT: changed wrong to right

bruh this right here is me
There is a difference between homosexuality and illegality. :colonhash:

But in some countries homosexuality is illegal

EDIT: changed wrong to right in last sentence

So you are saying you respect homosexual people and tolerate homosexual behaviour but surely you cannot expect me to respect homophobic people and tolerate homophobic behaviour?

You do realise that is what your asking me to do, right?

Because that would be speaking from the 'other side' to the one that I am on.
Not really. If people find two people of the same sex kissing distasteful "causing dislike or aversion; disagreeable or unpleasant." I seriously have to question why.

I find urinating in the street distasteful. Giving someone a kiss is meaningless and a nothing. If anyone has a problem with it, it is a behaviour has been learnt and is simply a prejudice that should be unlearnt.

Questioning why is still not the same as saying it cannot be distatesful. I personally don't find public urination distatesful but i then find expletives distatesful despite it being common to curse.

Quick Reply

Latest