The Student Room Group

Overheard at uni

:cookie:

What's the silliest/weirdest thing you've heard someone say so far?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

What's the silliest/weirdest thing you've heard someone say so far?

"Oh F****ing hell".
Me, today.
Original post by Davalla
"Oh F****ing hell".
Me, today.

This sounds like a reasonable thing to say...? :yum:
Reply 3
I can't even repeat it :puke: It was at a uni open day 5 years ago.
Original post by MJlover
I can't even repeat it :puke: It was at a uni open day 5 years ago.

Okay. You have to repeat it now.
"Is the tap water drinkable"

-Yours truly
'Guess how old ....'s boyfriend is. He's really old'. This is at a second year Maths lecture (most people are 19 going on 20, and it was close to the start of the year).

Someone else says... 'like... 20?'
Original post by SeanFM
'Guess how old ....'s boyfriend is. He's really old'. This is at a second year Maths lecture (most people are 19 going on 20, and it was close to the start of the year).

Someone else says... 'like... 20?'

that is too funny
"Do you need a passport to go to Wales"
Original post by Rock Fan

I heard the very same thing once, the same person thought welsh people spoke gaelic, felt like slapping them:P
Reply 10
"Why do squirrels swim on their backs? To keep their nuts dry" - My Lecturer
Original post by Rock Fan

I can beat that with

"Of course Wales is an island, that's why you have to cross a bridge to get to it!"
- And guess what idiot said that? Not me... Totally wasn't me... 😬
(On bus)
Guy 1: This might sound like a dumb question... but do squirrels climb trees by running so fast at them that they just go up?
Guy 2: What? No! They have claws!
Guy 1: That's ridiculous. Squirrels can't have claws.
From a probability lecturer whose brain moves too fast for his tongue, on the discussion of quantification of surprise:
"If I roll a dice and I get a heads, is this a surprising event?"

From the same lecturer:
"This is a table of the frequencies of words used in Charles Dickens' Origin of Species."

And my personal favourite, again from the same guy:
"Now we assume n is infinity. Hmmm... that might not be too realistic... [thinks] ok, so a realistic value for n might be about 40... But 40 is quite close to infinity."
Politics student who kept wittering on about someone called Mayo.

Turned out he meant Mao.
Fresher at Loans desk in Arts Library : 'Is this where I sort out Student Finance?'.
And next time you phone a University, bear in mind that these are the sort of idiots that Admissions staff deal with : http://studentsarestupid.tumblr.com/
Reply 17
"I never realised there was so much countryside in Devon!" (Undergrad on a field trip who'd slept in his Dad's car all the way to uni and then hadn't been outside the campus for the first three weeks of term).
Reply 18
Third Year (nearly in tears): "I don't understand it - I keep being marked down for not referencing my essays! But I had *five* references in that one - and it was three thousand words long! It's really stressing me out! I need good marks or I won't get into the Masters I want to do! What am I going to do if I can't get on the Masters?!"

Me: "I can go through referencing with you if you'd like?"

Third Year: "Nah, I can't be bothered."
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by returnmigrant
And next time you phone a University, bear in mind that these are the sort of idiots that Admissions staff deal with : http://studentsarestupid.tumblr.com/

PRSOM

Oh those are priceless!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending