The Student Room Group

Has Corbyn dumbed down the Labour Party by purging Oxbridge grads?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocolate hottie
Read my lips: MASON COLLEGE WAS NOT A UNIVERSITY.

What it grew into, however was:

"The University grew out of the radical vision of our first Chancellor, Joseph Chamberlain. Founded in 1900, Birmingham represented a new model for higher education. This was England’s first civic university, where students from all religions and backgrounds were accepted on an equal basis.Birmingham has continued to be a university unafraid to do things a little differently, and in response to the challenges of the day. It was a founder member of the National Union of Students and the first university in the country to:

be built on a campus model

establish a faculty of commerce

incorporate a medical school

offer degrees in dentistry

create a women’s hall of residence

have a purpose-built students’ union building

The University of Birmingham was established by Queen Victoria by Royal Charter in 1900 and was the UK’s first civic or 'redbrick' university. The first phase of building work on the campus was completed in 1909 under the auspices of the esteemed architect Sir Aston Webb. We celebrated the centenary of those buildings in July 2009."

Now tell me, when did Chamberlain and Baldwin attend Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY)? Before 1900, perchance?

What did they study and how long did they spend there? Do you even know?

I don't believe you about Baldwin, based on previous experience on this thread. Your omission was a deliberate lie.

Do you believe UCL is not a university?
Original post by Rat_Bag
Do you believe UCL is not a university?

False comparison.
False comparison.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

That was the surrender flag going up.
Original post by Rat_Bag
Darling, you were given the option to clarify the reasoning for labelling Corbyn stupid, and you threw your toys out of the pram.

So it was only natural that I take as read what you wrote that this alleged stupidity by Corbyn was down to political ineptitude. Now you set your pram on fire and say this isn't the case at all.

If you now want to switch your position, and say to disregard the importance of remembrance is stupid in itself, then you are in no better position. There could be many valid reasons to disregard the importance of remembrance, since after all you said yourself, it's importance is purely down to emotional feelings people hold, and where the money spend and the focus of the nation's attention could be used for more tangible things or working towards the future. I personally don't take this almost philistinic view, but it is a view I can understand some people may hold if they value the tangible highly or hold antagonist views to war, particularly that war. To denote somebody as stupid because they have different opinions to you is a reflection of immaturity at best.

There have been no traps set for you, only holes you dig yourself, and keep digging long after people have stopped laughing at you.

You set up a position I didn't advance (a "straw man") and then demolished it.

As I know you would!

Anyway as always with you this is descending into yet another tiresome and boring (and above all time consuming) argumentum ad infinitum. So I'll sign off again, and you will no doubt declare that my failure to respond to further debate has meant you have won.

Yet another logical fallacy!
You set up a position I didn't advance (a "straw man") and then demolished it.

So explain what your position is. And don't throw your toys out of the pram like last time
Original post by Rat_Bag
Hahahahahahahahahaha

That was the surrender flag going up.

No yet another logical fallacy on your part!

You can't compare modern UCL with Mason College. They are apples and oranges. One is an apple, a university. UCL. The other Mason College was (NOT A UNIVERSITY) an orange.

What did Chamberlain and Baldwin study and for how long? Do you know?

You have a look at that and get back to me. And I might be willing to resume the debate, or I might not.

It is fun having you spend ages researching a writing a post only to have it contemptuously not even read!
No yet another logical fallacy on your part!

You can't compare modern UCL with Mason College. They are apples and oranges. One is an apple, a university. UCL. The other Mason College was (NOT A UNIVERSITY) an orange.

Both universities colleges. Both effectively operating as independent universities. Both had the degrees awarded by another institution (Mason college until 1900, UCL until 2008)

That is why they are compared. Sorry to have to break this to you, but just screaming things in CAPS doesn't make them truth.

What did Chamberlain and Baldwin study and for how long? Do you know?

No idea, doesn't matter. They both studied at a redbrick university, refuting your claim (another one to add to an already enormous list)

You have a look at that and get back to me. And I might be willing to resume the debate, or I might not.

Darling, there's no debate here. For a debate to happen, both sides need to have some degree of debating skills. It's not that your debating skills are bad, it's that they are non-existent. One person getting repeatedly and embarrassingly flagellated doesn't constitute a debate

It is fun having you spend ages researching a writing a post only to have it contemptuously not even read!

You keep telling that to yourself if it makes you happy
Original post by Rat_Bag
Both universities colleges. Both effectively operating as independent universities.

No, it was a false comparison, UCL got a Royal Charter in 1836. A more valid comparison would be with Queens College Birmingham which got a Royal Charter in the 1840's.

Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) never got a Royal Charter.

Unless you know better maybe? Can you demonstrate that Mason College ever got a Royal Charter?

Be my guest. Until you do, the comparison is proved to be false.

My contention is established. No red brick university, currently existing, can claim a British Prime Minister.

Mason College is not just not a red brick university We know the first one was established in 1900, well after Chamberlain and Baldwin had left.

It also was NOT EVEN A UNIVERSITY.
No, it was a false comparison, UCL got a Royal Charter in 1836. A more valid comparison would be with Queens College Birmingham which got a Royal Charter in the 1840's.

Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) never got a Royal Charter.

Unless you know better maybe? Can you demonstrate that Mason College ever got a Royal Charter?

Be my guest. Until you do, the comparison is proved to be false.

My contention is established. No red brick university, currently existing, can claim a British Prime Minister.

Mason College is not just not a red brick university We know the first one was established in 1900, well after Chamberlain and Baldwin had left.

It also was NOT EVEN A UNIVERSITY.

Keep digging mate.

Mason College, and for much of it's history UCL, were not de jure universities. So unless you're going to deny UCL the status, then your bleating about Mason College doesn't get your anywhere
Original post by Rat_Bag
Keep digging mate.

Mason College, and for much of it's history UCL, were not de jure universities. So unless you're going to deny UCL the status, then your bleating about Mason College doesn't get your anywhere

It is you who are digging "mate."

I have already demonstrated that UCL is not a valid comparison with Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY).

UCL got a Royal Charter in 1836. (KCL was earlier in 1829). The University of London got a Royal Charter as well on the same day as UCL in 1836. Go and check.

And Royal Charters are important. All the red bricks got them, and date their existence as universities from that date, as does Durham.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/about/governance/charter/

So forget about UCL it isn't a valid comparison. It got a Royal Charter.

Mason College never got a Royal Charter. You admit it in your weasel words that it was "not a de jure university." You hoist the white flag of surrender with that comment.

Birmingham University got a Royal Charter in 1900 and then became a University. The first "red brick."

So I'll say it again. Mason College, the only evidence you have found for a Prime Ministerial "university" education (in one case involving a Cambridge graduate who spent only a few months there btw!) since Robert Peel that was not at Oxbridge, Edinburgh (which you admit is not red brick) or nowhere was

NOT A UNIVERSITY.

NOT RED BRICK because they hadn't even been invented.

Tomorrow, after you have responded to this, we are going to take the next step in this matter.
It is you who are digging "mate."

I have already demonstrated that UCL is not a valid comparison with Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY).

UCL got a Royal Charter in 1836. (KCL was earlier in 1829). The University of London got a Royal Charter as well on the same day as UCL in 1836. Go and check.

And Royal Charters are important. All the red bricks got them, and date their existence as universities from that date, as does Durham.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/about/governance/charter/

So forget about UCL it isn't a valid comparison. It got a Royal Charter.

Mason College never got a Royal Charter. You admit it in your weasel words that it was "not a de jure university." You hoist the white flag of surrender with that comment.

Birmingham University got a Royal Charter in 1900 and then became a University. The first "red brick."

So I'll say it again. Mason College, the only evidence you have found for a Prime Ministerial "university" education (in one case involving a Cambridge graduate who spent only a few months there btw!) since Robert Peel that was not at Oxbridge, Edinburgh (which you admit is not red brick) or nowhere was

NOT A UNIVERSITY.

NOT RED BRICK because they hadn't even been invented.

Tomorrow, after you have responded to this, we are going to take the next step in this matter.

Oh dear, it seems the digging just doesn't stop

You do realise that having a Royal Charter has nothing to do whether an institution is a university or not? You do realise that there are many universities without Royal Charter, including Newcastle University and the London School of Economics? So in your infinite wisdom, are you going to say these aren't universities either? Knowing you, you probably will dig yourself deeper and say they are not!

Such is your silliness, am sure you're probably going to say things like Cambridge is an older university than Oxford, and that Nottingham and Southampton universities started in the 1960s.

The reason I point out that Mason College was not a de jure university, is because neither is UCL, or indeed King's, and probably a number of other universities in London. Their lack of de jure status is merely a technicality, because they are/were all de facto universities, which only people like yourself would tie themselves in knots by selectively contesting.

But anyway, please continue this game. It's funny watching people shouting in CAPS hoping it will make them appear right. Sad thing with you though, is that you know you are wrong, but still shout nonetheless.
chocolate hottie
x

Whilst you're pondering how to make yourself look like even more of a fool, maybe you can also look at what is at the crux of this thread, which you have repeatedly run away from addressing:

So since you don't accept Edinburgh as a redbrick (fair enough) how do you now reconcile your claim that Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet is "is almost exclusively red brick, not Oxbridge"?, when in fact there are more Oxbridge graduates than redbrick graduates (10 of the former, 7 of the latter)? Claims of rhetorical exaggeration doesn't fit here sorry.

In addition, how do you reconcile your claim that Corbyn is dumbing down the Labour Party as reflected by the Oxbridge makeup of the shadow cabinet, when in actual fact his shadow cabinet has 10 Oxbridge graduates, and his predecessor's shadow cabinet (Ed Milliband) had 11 Oxbridge graduates?

And how also do you reconcile the title of your thread, claiming Corbyn purged the shadow Cabinet of Oxbridge graduates, when in actual fact, whilst the number of Oxbridge graduates has stayed roughly the same, the ones who were "purged" (Tristram Hunt, Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper, Chukka Umunna, Ed Balls) all actually declined to serve in the shadow cabinet under Corbyn, or in the case of Ed, failed to retain their seat in the election?

Could it just be the case, that you are a deceitful liar?
Original post by Rat_Bag
Oh dear, it seems the digging just doesn't stop

You do realise that having a Royal Charter has nothing to do whether an institution is a university or not?

That is simply wrong, How stupid are you? As thick as Corbyn or something???

If it has nothing to do with "whether an institution is a university or not", why does Durham claim its foundation date from the granting of its Royal Charter? Why do all the Red Bricks (including Birmingham the very "University" in question?)

I keep saying you aren't great at logic, that you make logical fallacies, time after time after time. That comment,which I have just proven to be incorrect shows this failure of your mind, of your intellect for the whole thread to see.

You were comparing UCL to Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY).

I demonstrated that this was a false comparison because UCL was granted a Royal Charter which Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) never received. Unlike UCL. Are you able to grasp the difference or are you going to continue to make a fool of yourself arguing an indefensible position?

Do you now withdraw your concession that Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) was not a de jure university? Yes or no? Well do you?

If you don't, and it wasn't a de jure university, (let alone a red brick since they weren't even invented then) how does the presence of Chamberlain for a short while at Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) thus invalidate my statement that there have been no red brick university graduates as PM's?

I have demonstrated my statement was correct to everyone except a cretin like you. Now answer this, Einstein,. The PM is First Lord of the Treasury and Primus inter Pares. How many red brick gradates have been Second Lord of the Treasury? The second man in the government? Let's say since Gladstone basically invented the role?

Do you know? Can you research it as badly as you did Prime Minister? Shall I tell you?

Zero.
That is simply wrong, How stupid are you? As thick as Corbyn or something???

Am wondering if the toy throwing and huffiness is down to lack of natural sunlight or sheer tiredness from digging the hole as deep as you have done.

If it has nothing to do with "whether an institution is a university or not", why does Durham claim its foundation date from the granting of its Royal Charter? Why do all the Red Bricks (including Birmingham the very "University" in question?)

No it has nothing to with whether an institution is a university or not, since there are many universities who do not have a Royal Charter, Newcastle University and LSE just to name two.

Therefore saying (or in your case screaming) that Mason College didn't have a Royal Charter and was therefore not a university just shows lack of insight into the subject on your part.

In spite of being told this, you then spend almost all of your post screaming about Royal Charters knowing they they are irrelevant to the assessment of Mason College's university status. But you seem to show a lack of insight into most things, so that is hardly surprising.

I keep saying you aren't great at logic, that you make logical fallacies, time after time after time. That comment,which I have just proven to be incorrect shows this failure of your mind, of your intellect for the whole thread to see.

I think somebody has got very hot and bothered and needs to lie down. Maybe it's time for your feed? Or maybe you nap? Nappy needs changing?

You were comparing UCL to Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY).

Neither are/were de jure universities. They are/were both de facto universities.

I demonstrated that this was a false comparison because UCL was granted a Royal Charter which Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) never received. Unlike UCL. Are you able to grasp the difference or are you going to continue to make a fool of yourself arguing an indefensible position?

As has been demonstrated to you, the existence of a Royal Charter is irrelevant. UCL has one, Mason College didn't, neither de jure univerities, both de facto universities. Likewise Newcastle University doesn't have a Royal Charter and is a de jure university.

Now do you see that this screaming about Royal Charters just makes you look silly? Or do you still not get it, and need it spelt out to you letter by letter in pretty coloured fridge magnet letters?

Do you now withdraw your concession that Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) was not a de jure university? Yes or no? Well do you?

Neither UCL nor Mason College are/were de jure universities. They are/were de facto universities.

If you don't, and it wasn't a de jure university, (let alone a red brick since they weren't even invented then) how does the presence of Chamberlain for a short while at Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) thus invalidate my statement that there have been no red brick university graduates as PM's?

Because it was a de facto university (in the same way that UCL is a de facto university). It was very much a redbrick university.

I find it funny that you are now narrowing your definition of a redbrick university to such an extent that you end up shooting yourself in the foot. You see, your (incorrect) claim that there hasn't been a redbrick Prime Minister since Peel (1834) is quite ridiculous by your own rigid use of the understanding of a redbrick. What you are now saying is that redbricks did not exist until 1900, and with the average age of going to university at 20 and average age of becoming Prime Minister approximately 65, you wouldn't even be expecting to see redbrick Prime Ministers until 1945 at the absolute earliest.

So what exactly was the point of your question in the first place if you are just going to then turn around and shoot yourself by saying a redbrick is only an institution as per rigid definition (which confines you to seven universities) that couldn't have even produced a Prime Minister until at least 110 years after the start of your reference period?

And we both know the answer. It's rooted in the mistake you have made (and not learnt from) a number of a times on this forum; that is, when you say 'redbrick', you mean 'non-Oxbridge'. That is what got you into this mess in the first place with your original post on the thread, and this is what keeps you in a mess on this side topic. The problem is that you are too proud and arrogant to admit you made a mistake, and so you end up providing a huge amount of entertainment in your wriggling and writhing about all over the place trying to avoid admitting you were wrong. We see you running away from core issues of the debate, instead latching onto irrelevant side topics that are of next to no importance in the hope that people won't notice. We see you lying. We see you deflecting why bringing totally off topic points. Whilst it's quite sad to see a creature suffering in the way that you are, it's truly fascinating to observe the same creature persistently pouring petrol on his own fire-bed.

I have demonstrated my statement was correct to everyone except a cretin like you. Now answer this, Einstein,. The PM is First Lord of the Treasury and Primus inter Pares. How many red brick gradates have been Second Lord of the Treasury? The second man in the government? Let's say since Gladstone basically invented the role?

Do you know?

No. Why is it important?

Can you research it as badly as you did Prime Minister? Shall I tell you?

Zero.

Don't worry, I won't research. Even if your claim turns out to be incorrect (as so many of them are), you will refuse to allow anyone to correct you, as we have vividly seen in the latest turn of this thread
chocolate hottie
x

And let's just repeat this unanswered post for the sake of to adding to your state of foolishness (which you seem to relish). Now don't run away like you love to do when you're cornered.

So since you don't accept Edinburgh as a redbrick (fair enough) how do you now reconcile your claim that Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet is "is almost exclusively red brick, not Oxbridge"?, when in fact there are more Oxbridge graduates than redbrick graduates (10 of the former, 7 of the latter)? Claims of rhetorical exaggeration doesn't fit here sorry.

In addition, how do you reconcile your claim that Corbyn is dumbing down the Labour Party as reflected by the Oxbridge makeup of the shadow cabinet, when in actual fact his shadow cabinet has 10 Oxbridge graduates, and his predecessor's shadow cabinet (Ed Milliband) had 11 Oxbridge graduates?

And how also do you reconcile the title of your thread, claiming Corbyn purged the shadow Cabinet of Oxbridge graduates, when in actual fact, whilst the number of Oxbridge graduates has stayed roughly the same, the ones who were "purged" (Tristram Hunt, Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper, Chukka Umunna, Ed Balls) all actually declined to serve in the shadow cabinet under Corbyn, or in the case of Ed, failed to retain their seat in the election?

oh my god guys

it's funny how we condemn the media for personal attacks that don't contribute to anything of substance yet we're so quick to call one another deceitful liars etc. do we want to live in a world full of compassion and empathy or do we want to live in a world where everyone's out to get everyone else and there's no sanctuary, no sanity, not even in our own minds? let's rise above separation and segregation and actually start being kind. it's not hard. i recommend Russell Brand and Eckhart Tolle videos for context

we're always protecting and defending ourselves and by ourselves i mean our egos. it's always 'he or she is a bitch, he's wrong and i'm right. i'm absolutely correct and no one can ever change my mind. i'll defend my position to the very end'. the purpose of debate is to learn from one another. that means letting go of our preconceptions and being open to expanding our awareness of the world

here's my forecast:

there'll be a economic crash within the next few years, similar to 2008 but perhaps worse. everyone will blame the current government. the labour party will be voted in next election and Jeremy Corbyn will lead us into a new world. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rat_Bag
Am wondering if the toy throwing and huffiness is down to lack of natural sunlight or sheer tiredness from digging the hole as deep as you have done.

No it has nothing to with whether an institution is a university or not, since there are many universities who do not have a Royal Charter, Newcastle University and LSE just to name two.

Therefore saying (or in your case screaming) that Mason College didn't have a Royal Charter and was therefore not a university just shows lack of insight into the subject on your part.

In spite of being told this, you then spend almost all of your post screaming about Royal Charters knowing they they are irrelevant to the assessment of Mason College's university status. But you seem to show a lack of insight into most things, so that is hardly surprising.

I think somebody has got very hot and bothered and needs to lie down. Maybe it's time for your feed? Or maybe you nap? Nappy needs changing?

Neither are/were de jure universities. They are/were both de facto universities.

As has been demonstrated to you, the existence of a Royal Charter is irrelevant. UCL has one, Mason College didn't, neither de jure univerities, both de facto universities. Likewise Newcastle University doesn't have a Royal Charter and is a de jure university.

Now do you see that this screaming about Royal Charters just makes you look silly? Or do you still not get it, and need it spelt out to you letter by letter in pretty coloured fridge magnet letters?

Neither UCL nor Mason College are/were de jure universities. They are/were de facto universities.

Because it was a de facto university (in the same way that UCL is a de facto university). It was very much a redbrick university.

I find it funny that you are now narrowing your definition of a redbrick university to such an extent that you end up shooting yourself in the foot. You see, your (incorrect) claim that there hasn't been a redbrick Prime Minister since Peel (1834) is quite ridiculous by your own rigid use of the understanding of a redbrick. What you are now saying is that redbricks did not exist until 1900, and with the average age of going to university at 20 and average age of becoming Prime Minister approximately 65, you wouldn't even be expecting to see redbrick Prime Ministers until 1945 at the absolute earliest.

So what exactly was the point of your question in the first place if you are just going to then turn around and shoot yourself by saying a redbrick is only an institution as per rigid definition (which confines you to seven universities) that couldn't have even produced a Prime Minister until at least 110 years after the start of your reference period?

And we both know the answer. It's rooted in the mistake you have made (and not learnt from) a number of a times on this forum; that is, when you say 'redbrick', you mean 'non-Oxbridge'. That is what got you into this mess in the first place with your original post on the thread, and this is what keeps you in a mess on this side topic. The problem is that you are too proud and arrogant to admit you made a mistake, and so you end up providing a huge amount of entertainment in your wriggling and writhing about all over the place trying to avoid admitting you were wrong. We see you running away from core issues of the debate, instead latching onto irrelevant side topics that are of next to no importance in the hope that people won't notice. We see you lying. We see you deflecting why bringing totally off topic points. Whilst it's quite sad to see a creature suffering in the way that you are, it's truly fascinating to observe the same creature persistently pouring petrol on his own fire-bed.

No. Why is it important?

Don't worry, I won't research. Even if your claim turns out to be incorrect (as so many of them are), you will refuse to allow anyone to correct you, as we have vividly seen in the latest turn of this thread

Yet another long evening post showing you really do need to get a life. Admittedly it wasn't a Saturday like last time. I suppose one shouldn't be surprised, you show strong evidence of sociopathy in many things you say.

For my part I wrote having come back after having a few bevs. I did wonder if it might have led me to going a bit OTT. But reading back my words I don't withdraw a single full stop. In vino veritas. :smile:

A couple of quick points since I am not going to get dragged into a point by point rebuttal yet again.

You statement that a Royal Charter has nothing to do with a institution being a university is yet another of your logical fallacies.

AND you admit that Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) was never a de jure university, so case proven.

Actually it was a technical college offering a very narrow range of vocational not academic courses. The closest comparison is to the post war Polytechnics. (One of which Corbyn himself dropped out from!) These have mostly since become both de facto and de jure "universities" although some might say most are not worthy of the title in its true sense.

Are you going to claim Corbyn went to "University" now? :biggrin:

No of course you are not going to research my claim that not a single PM or Chancellor is a graduate of a red brick university. (Or of any university apart from Oxbridge or in a handful of cases the ancient Scottish universities and in one case UCL).

You claim that Oxbridge is not relevant in the education of our most powerful men and women, and yet nearly 70% of Chancellors and PM's went there in almost the last two hundred years. (More if you go further back).

Of course you are going to "run away" from further debate on this subject. You know I will turn you round, bend you over, pull down your trousers and give you a good seeing to.

It hurts too much. You are too big for my ar$e.. Owww owww owww. Stop, please stop! :biggrin:

Anyway I am going away for a few days, but will be back on this thread next week. Better head off to Boots for some lube in readiness!
Yet another long evening post showing you really do need to get a life. Admittedly it wasn't a Saturday like last time. I suppose one shouldn't be surprised, you show strong evidence of sociopathy in many things you say.

Do you actually know what sociopathy is? Care to provide examples of this alleged sociopathy?

You do realise that sociopaths are actually often very social and have a wide circle of acquaintances. Since you have made claims that I don't have a life, how do you reconcile this claim that I am not a sociopath? Or are you again so desperate to deflect from the debate that you just invent things about people again?

For my part I wrote having come back after having a few bevs. I did wonder if it might have led me to going a bit OTT. But reading back my words I don't withdraw a single full stop. In vino veritas. :smile:

This is exactly why alcohol is not sold to children.

A couple of quick points since I am not going to get dragged into a point by point rebuttal yet again.

You've never done a point by point rebuttal. That has been your style throughout. Run away from 90% of the debate and focus on aspects that are not important.

You have failed on every count to defend your position. In fact you've failed on pretty much every measure of anything.

You statement that a Royal Charter has nothing to do with a institution being a university is yet another of your logical fallacies.

No it's not. Having a Royal Charter does not confer the status of university. Just as a lack of it, does not confer the non-status of an institution. This has been laid out to you very simply, but you still don't seem to understand. I did suggest having it spelt out in colourful fridge magnet letters if it would help, and it becomes ever more apparent that this might be the case.

UCL is not a de jure university. It has a Royal Charter

Newcastle is a de jure university. It doesn't have a Royal Charter.

These facts should be enough for even the most simple minded to understand. But instead you keep on bleating about Royal Charters long after it has been made clear to you their irrelevance to the discuss.

AND you admit that Mason College (NOT A UNIVERSITY) was never a de jure university, so case proven.

Then we are back that UCL was never a de jure university.

Both Mason College and UCL were/are de facto universities.

Actually it was a technical college offering a very narrow range of vocational not academic courses. The closest comparison is to the post war Polytechnics. (One of which Corbyn himself dropped out from!) These have mostly since become both de facto and de jure "universities" although some might say most are not worthy of the title in its true sense.

HAHAHAHAHA

First of all, students that completed their studies at Mason College were awarded a degree, thus conferring de facto university status. In fact the comparison is identical to UCL until 2008 since students having completed their studies were awarded a degree, by happy coincidence, the University of London.

Second, the range of subjects a university offers does not confer whether it is a university or not. LSE only teaches social science, St George's University only teaches Medicine, and SOAS only teaches a narrow range of social science subjects. Mason College on the other hand taught Medicine, a whole range of natural and earth sciences, Maths, Literature, Engineering and foreign languages. All of which one obtained a degree in on completion of their studies.

And finally, if you think it was merely a modern day technical college, why on earth would you find FRS lecturing there, as well as graduates who went onto be at the forefront of scientific discovering and in one case win a Nobel Prize

By every measure, Mason College was a university, and firmly a redbrick at that.

Are you going to claim Corbyn went to "University" now? :biggrin:

Would a student on completion of their studies at North London Polytechnic receive a degree? No. I think that's answers your question.

No of course you are not going to research my claim that not a single PM or Chancellor is a graduate of a red brick university. (Or of any university apart from Oxbridge or in a handful of cases the ancient Scottish universities and in one case UCL).

As I said, even if you were wrong, and evidence was shown to you, you wouldn't accept it.

You claim that Oxbridge is not relevant in the education of our most powerful men and women, and yet nearly 70% of Chancellors and PM's went there in almost the last two hundred years. (More if you go further back).

I've never made that claim. Kindly quote me where I have said that.

Of course you are going to "run away" from further debate on this subject.

This is one of your funniest lines yet, mainly because it demonstrates either your delusional state or degree of desperation

Me: point by point refutation of every incorrect claim in every one of your posts

You: refusing to respond to whole posts, and the posts you do respond to responding to a minority of the content, and even then you always fail and then run away.

The person who runs away is on every occasion you. But of course you are going to start claiming how demanding and time consuming your social life is as an explanation for your shortcomings.

You know I will turn you round, bend you over, pull down your trousers and give you a good seeing to.

I knew I was dealing with a lightweight when I saw your posts on this forum, but I didn't realise you were such a novice in debate. You do realise the joke about being ar*e raped has already been placed on you on this thread, and that your debating style looks even more desperate that you recycle what your opponent has already said about you. But like I said, it's a reflection of your novice status, and not withstanding the fact that by any objective measure you've been ar*e raped beyond recovery on this thread

It hurts too much. You are too big for my ar$e.. Owww owww owww. Stop, please stop! :biggrin:

Somebody seems very insecure about the size. I guess you having a small one would explain a lot for the anger and over-compensation your so frequently demonstrate.

Anyway I am going away for a few days, but will be back on this thread next week. Better head off to Boots for some lube in readiness!

Enjoy. I understand a certain orifice of yours does need a rest, so no hard feelings from my side
chocolate hottie
x

Here it is again for you

chocolate hottie
x

This is for you as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending