The Student Room Group

No Study Leave!!!!!! HELP

I just found out today that my school has decided not to give us any study leave when we sit our GCSE's this Summer.

Is anyone else in this position?

Does anyone have any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tegs99
I just found out today that my school has decided not to give us any study leave when we sit our GCSE's this Summer.

I'm in exactly the same position OP :frown:
Our school doesn't trust us to revise at home so we're expected to go to school until the exams :angry:
Reply 2
Original post by Tegs99

You don't need study leave. It's a privilege, really :redface:

I didn't get it for As, and found it much better to be in lessons, with structured tasks and activities helping my revision, and with my teachers helping me in whatever way they could :yes:

A lot of people who get study leave for GCSEs waste it, and don't end up being half as productive as they imagined they'd be - be thankful that you have teachers there to help you all day in school - they should all know exactly what you need to do to do brilliantly and will help you if you need it :fluffy:

Advice?
Work hard in your free time outside of school, and during lunches & breaks. Every second is precious - don't procrastinate. Focus.
study leave is when you don't attend school for the few weeks before exams, usually GCSE and A2. some schools have study leave in school, where you are just off timetable and some like OPs don't have it at all.

I had study leave for GCSE and used it well, it only started half way through my exams thhough so was slightly pointless. However as @Neuth says you don't actually 'need' study leave, it is a privelledge, before study leave started i just had to fit in lots of revision around normal lessons and most lessons are just sacrificed to revision anyway. it can actually be beneficial revising in a school environment as it is more structured, fewer distractions and the teachers are on hand to help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Our school doesn't trust us to revise at home so we're expected to go to school until the exams :angry:

we've just got a new head teacher who doesn't like students leaving and arriving at random times. not sure why? For example she doesn't like the fact that as year 11's we get to leave school in our lunch break
As someone who did have study leave at GCSE and wasted most of it, as much as I understand why you're upset, it probably is for your own good. There are definitely people who are mature enough to use their time constructively and sensibly but for most people, they probably are going to get more work done in school. You still get a big long holiday after your exams.
Reply 6
Original post by Neuth
You don't need study leave. It's a privilege, really :redface:

I didn't get it for As, and found it much better to be in lessons, with structured tasks and activities helping my revision, and with my teachers helping me in whatever way they could :yes:

A lot of people who get study leave for GCSEs waste it, and don't end up being half as productive as they imagined they'd be - be thankful that you have teachers there to help you all day in school - they should all know exactly what you need to do to do brilliantly and will help you if you need it :fluffy:

Advice?
Work hard in your free time outside of school, and during lunches & breaks. Every second is precious - don't procrastinate. Focus.

Thank you for the advice I was just worried that everyone is going to mess around and generally be distracting like in the revision lessons we got for our Year 10 mocks
Reply 7
Original post by CoolCavy
@ihatePE study leave is when you don't attend school for the few weeks before exams, usually GCSE and A2. some schools have study leave in school, where you are just off timetable and some like OPs don't have it at all.

I had study leave for GCSE and used it well, it only started half way through my exams thhough so was slightly pointless. However as @Neuth says you don't actually 'need' study leave, it is a privelledge, before study leave started i just had to fit in lots of revision around normal lessons and most lessons are just sacrificed to revision anyway. it can actually be beneficial revising in a school environment as it is more structured, fewer distractions and the teachers are on hand to help :smile:

my issue is that students in our school have got it EVERY OTHER year, its our new head teachers idea and I actually think school means more distractions as everyone will be messing around
Reply 8
Original post by Tegs99

Skive. :jive:
Reply 9

Does your school usually give study leave?
Reply 10
Original post by ombtom
Skive. :jive:

tbh I was contenmplating be 'ill' on days I don't have exams
Reply 11
Original post by Tegs99
tbh I was contenmplating be 'ill' on days I don't have exams

Exactly. You seem like someone who would benefit from solitary revision.
Original post by Tegs99
we've just got a new head teacher who doesn't like students leaving and arriving at random times. not sure why? For example she doesn't like the fact that as year 11's we get to leave school in our lunch break

honestly, you leave school at lunches that's crazy!! I've never heard of that before, i'm in yr 11 and if we leave school grounds we'd probably get excluded for 3 days or something
Original post by Tegs99
Does your school usually give study leave?

lol funny you should ask because our year is the first year to sit the gcses!
Original post by Tegs99

Get permission from your parents to skip lessons you don't think will help. You wouldn't be able to tell the school of course, but so long as you can trust yourself to revise then **** the school. Do what you think is best for your results.
Reply 15
You honestly dont need it for GCSE, and would be much better to stay and get help for teachers (unless they're all terrible)

For A-levels it depends on the individual: I'm quite independent and prefer going on my own pace, so I achieve more during study leave (if I stayed at school i would just be distracted)
Original post by Tegs99

My school didn't get study leave last year but I coped for gcses!
You'll find that your teachers are much more lenient towards exam time (late April mostly) where during lessons they'll probably just say do your own thing and revise alone, and ask them if you have any questions. I hated this purely because most people thought it was a great time to have a chat with friends, and 1 teacher for 30 students isn't much help. During these lessons try asking your teacher if you can go to the library (back yourself up with a revision guide/work to do so they know you're legit and try not to go with friends!)

Lessons like PE I would get dressed but ditch the class and revise in the toilets so nobody could find me.

Bring your revision guide with you everywhere- doesn't matter what subject it is.

I started planing my revision in Jan/Feb and started working late Feb- buy all the revision guides you need and see how many modules/chapters there are to learn and aim to complete ALL SUBJECTS by April (yes, this will be a lot of independent work after school but its so worth it) so you can spend April onwards memorizing mark schemes and finalizing your knowledge.

Being in school in some ways is actually better than study leave- you stay in routine, your teachers are permanent reminders of exams and you can keep up your social life to some extent instead of isolating yourself and going insane due to the pressure/cravings of success.

Just memorize all those mark schemes (for edexcel exams, if you're in year 11 focus on 2013 exams/ year 10 focus on 2014 exams. theres a pattern of repetition!) and revision guides and don't stop until you can tick off all your knowledge. Good luck and PM me if you need any help/tips on anything! I got 5A*s 4As and a B without study leave and I was projected Bs and Cs woooo
We didn't have study leave either, which was annoying as I was far less productive at school than I would have been at home, as in some of my lessons, people were noisy and not wanting to study/do well in their exams. Luckily, I had started revising in March/April and so was well prepared anyway. The trick is to revise early and make the most of your time, that way by the time the exams start you don't need study leave anyway. Actually, it was a slight advantage, as not having study leave meant I didn't have to organise transport to and from exams.
Reply 18
honestly, you leave school at lunches that's crazy!! I've never heard of that before, i'm in yr 11 and if we leave school grounds we'd probably get excluded for 3 days or something

no we get special yellow pieces of paper that fall apart that say Year 11 Lunch Pass and teachers check them as we leave
Original post by Tegs99
no we get special yellow pieces of paper that fall apart that say Year 11 Lunch Pass and teachers check them as we leave

lucky you!! i'm jealous - we're expected to have school lunch or your own sandwhiches :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest