The Student Room Group

How to deal with racist, sexist and homophobic parents!

I dont know what the **** to do. It should not really bother me but for some reason it does.
I love my parents, and they have done a lot for me, however that does not justify their backward thinking

I feel my parents are quite racist. They totally dislike black people. They generalize them and call them unclean people. Comments like " black people never keep their houses clean". It just pisses me off.

They are also justify misogyny. Remember that video of that woman walking around New York, and all the men were catcalling her. My Mum said that she deserves it, and its natural for men to do that. She also said she should have dressed more modestly. LIKE WTF?

Last but not least, they are homophobic. They think being gay is a metal illness.
I dont wanna get into this, because the things they say about gays and lesbians is just absolute rubbish.

Scroll to see replies

Oh grow up.

Your parents are allowed to think whatever they want. They're not exactly going out of their way to discriminate against these people, are they?
Reply 2
Original post by zooloowarrier
Oh grow up.

Your parents are allowed to think whatever they want and there's nothing wrong about it. They're not exactly going out of their way to discriminate against these people, are they?

So Racism is Okay?
Original post by Anonymous
So Racism is Okay?

Did I say that? I don't agree with racism but you have NO right to tell someone else what to think, especially your parents.

Do you want to strip everyone's individual thoughts and values so everyone thinks the same way like some robotic society? Yeah sure, lets produce an army of social justice warriors. As I said they aren't actively harming anyone, why are you so mad?

Lets face it, you don't give a **** about racism/sexism/homophobia, you just want to feel better about yourself. Horrible, horrible things happen to victims of racism etc, why don't you go and put some effort into trying to help them rather than whining about your parents who think 'being gay is a mental illness', piss off will you.
I dont know what the **** to do. It should not really bother me but for some reason it does.
I love my parents, and they have done a lot for me, however that does not justify their backward thinking

I feel my parents are quite racist. They totally dislike black people. They generalize them and call them unclean people. Comments like " black people never keep their houses clean". It just pisses me off.

They are also justify misogyny. Remember that video of that woman walking around New York, and all the men were catcalling her. My Mum said that she deserves it, and its natural for men to do that. She also said she should have dressed more modestly. LIKE WTF?

Last but not least, they are homophobic. They think being gay is a metal illness.
I dont wanna get into this, because the things they say about gays and lesbians is just absolute rubbish.

Just ignore them
Reply 5
Original post by JackFletch
Just ignore them

I try to but it makes me so angry
Reply 6
Original post by EastGuava
Let me guess - are you Asian and/or Muslim?

No I am not Muslim. If you assume that I am Muslim because my parents are racist, then you are ignorant

I am Sikh
Original post by eastguava
let me guess - are you asian and/or muslim?

what do you think? That racist ppl are either muslim or asian..
And not whites.. Wake up
Did I say that? I don't agree with racism but you have NO right to tell someone else what to think, especially your parents.

Do you want to strip everyone's individual thoughts and values so everyone thinks the same way like some robotic society? Yeah sure, lets produce an army of social justice warriors. As I said they aren't actively harming anyone, why are you so mad?

Lets face it, you don't give a **** about racism/sexism/homophobia, you just want to feel better about yourself. Horrible, horrible things happen to victims of racism etc, why don't you go and put some effort into trying to help them rather than whining about your parents who think 'being gay is a mental illness', piss off will you.

A robotic society? Or one that doesn't discriminate and harm people for things they can't control? Individual thoughts are "marmite is nice" not "being gay is a mental illness)
And as someone else said, I doubt with these opinions they're going to be nice to a black person or someone not heterosexual.
And how is being upset that your parents have these views such a bad thing? Yeah, it'd be great to do the things you mentioned but that doesn't invalidate being uncomfortable with your parents views.
WHY ARE YOU SO BITTER
Original post by Farah_786
what do you think? That racist ppl are either muslim or asian..
And not whites.. Wake up

Original post by Pcabezas
If you think that muslim people are the only ones misogynistic and homophobic you have obviously not met many white people.

Jeez, I was just making a guess. I never suggested that racism, sexism or homophobia are exclusive to a particular race or religion.
No I am not Muslim. If you assume that I am Muslim because my parents are racist, then you are ignorant

I am Sikh

I thought Sikh people were better than the hindus and were very accepting of people, but I guess I thought wrong.
Original post by defenestrated
A robotic society? Or one that doesn't discriminate and harm people for things they can't control? Individual thoughts are "marmite is nice" not "being gay is a mental illness)
And as someone else said, I doubt with these opinions they're going to be nice to a black person or someone not heterosexual.
And how is being upset that your parents have these views such a bad thing? Yeah, it'd be great to do the things you mentioned but that doesn't invalidate being uncomfortable with your parents views.
WHY ARE YOU SO BITTER

Because OP is fake as ****, if they actually gave a damn about REAL issues people face they wouldn't be here pretending to be upset at their parents for some silly thoughts.

I mean ffs they only think black people are unclean, I'm black and I think that's kina funny tbh, who cares LOL
Oh grow up.

Your parents are allowed to think whatever they want and there's nothing wrong about it. They're not exactly going out of their way to discriminate against these people, are they?

Yes, they are allowed to think whatever they want, but if they air such opinions, even in off-hand comments they are fully entitled to be criticised. They could (stupidly) pass down these views to their children, and if their views are challenged, it would be beneficial for both parties (providing there are no consequences like cut off support from parents.)

No, she has every right to criticise her parents, if she so chooses to.
Also her parents saying stuff like this contributes to this stigma, or the stigmas surrounding e.g. homosexuality. Challenging it (and hopefully getting rid of it) is in a small way making her contribution to the removal of it. On an individual basis, it might seem negligible, but when many people do it, it might make (quite significant) progress.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by defenestrated
WHY ARE YOU SO BITTER

Perhaps she's a black female homosexual. :laugh:

(Edit: Perhaps that was uncalled for.)
I try to but it makes me so angry

Theres not much you can do considering you live with them. Just learn not to follow their example
You are a sick individual. Even thinking of or stating these things is disgraceful and disrespectful; it's time that people begin to see equality within every single individual. And actually, I personally care about sexism/racism/homophobia. It is disgusting. People need to face and accept our modern society, which is beautiful regardless of who anyone decides they want to be.
(edited 6 years ago)

I am Sikh

South asians are naturally backward, and like this.. It's down to being illiterate and the culture. Let them be, they'll be dead soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best way to deal with it is to stop being a sensitive little pussy hurt by words that don't even apply to you. The only black person who commented ITT doesn't care, which tends to always be the case... Most often it's middle class whites more upset and hurt by words than the minority groups that are supposedly affected by them. I advise you stop trying to fight other people's battles and just get on with your own life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by MrSneaky
The best way to deal with it is to stop being a sensitive little pussy hurt by words that don't even apply to you. The only black person who commented ITT doesn't care, which tends to always be the case... Most often it's middle class whites more upset and hurt by words than the minority groups that are supposedly affected by them. I advise you stop trying to fight other people's battles and just get on with your own life.

Original post by SMEGGGY
South asians are naturally backward, and like this.. It's down to being illiterate and the culture. Let them be, they'll be dead soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

OP is probably not listening as the thread is from 2015
Has tsr always been this ****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending