The Student Room Group

Why are poor white males underachieving at school?

My view:
- Benefit dependency - why try?
- Chav culture - drugs etc
- Parents world view too narrow minded (not acknowledging global opportunities)
- Short school days - (Parents abuse child tax credits for their own good refer to number 2)
- Poor attitude

Your views?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No work ethic thats why
whats up with these poor white male threads im seeing all over TSR lately! :s-smilie:
Original post by JackFletch
No work ethic thats why

That's what i said in the previous post and got completely bombarded with messages from a certain user insisting i'm racist for stating my opinion :colonhash:
How ****ed up
Reply 4
No work ethic thats why

Agreed

Original post by Ripper Phoenix
whats up with these poor white male threads im seeing all over TSR lately! :s-smilie:

Trying to solve societies problems - it's what we usually do on TSR.
Original post by Bill_Gates

My view:
- Short school days - (Parents abuse child tax credits for their own good refer to number 2)
- Poor attitude

Your views?

Probably stereotyping has a role to play in it too. I think environment is a very big factor for this however. In most cases I blame the parents for making their children too spoilt and allowing them to get away with missing school and focusing on less important things.
Agreed

Trying to solve societies problems - it's what we usually do on TSR.

you see that is your problem! not all poor white males are underachievers! you are just being stereotypical by quoting something you heard from somewhere which isn't true at all
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
That's what i said in the previous post and got completely bombarded with messages from a certain user insisting i'm racist for stating my opinion :colonhash:
How ****ed up

Don't worry, I'm a white male and I agree with it haha
Don't worry, I'm a white male and I agree with it haha

Good! So it's not just a non-white person who thinks this! :h:
@VergeofInsanity
great and i'm sure there are muslims that think you guys are terrorists too.
God punishing them for being poor, white, and male.
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
you see that is your problem! not all poor white males are underachievers! you are just being stereotypical by quoting something you heard from somewhere which isn't true at all

Statistics - it's all over the papers? ONS report, BBC, Sky, Financial times.

So we're all wrong are we?
Males are doing less well than females in school generally. From what I've seen that's almost entirely because they have different attitude - for boys doing well academically is a cause for social ridicule which simply isn't the case with female friendship groups. I'd wager that if you look at the results of higher-achieving schools without such a culture the results are very similar.

As for the ethnicity factor, I believe it's because being in a minority group often isolates you from these social circles anyway, at least to an extent, and thus removes from you the pressure not to be seen as too "brainy". There's also the fact that other cultures respect the importance of education as a tool for social mobility more than white British people do on average and therefore the children are not given any excuse to slack of from their parents.
Not enough is being done at home. No work ethnic coupled with laziness and as you say,Bill.. Perhaps chav culture?
Original post by VergeofInsanity
great and i'm sure there are muslims that think you guys are terrorists too.

Now that's a completely different matter
My view is that the educational system makes a really bad job of showing students why what they learn is or will be important in the future. For example in chemistry I was never shown how I would be able to use it in any considerable way - and so I essentially failed it (<C).
There is also the problem of homework. What is no one around to help you with homework, or they just don't understand it (or both)?
Also people learn differently - people who aren't brought up academically really most likely won't excel in a place where things are taught academically, rather than pragmatically (which tends to work for everyone).
(edited 8 years ago)
Now that's a completely different matter

on what grounds?
Original post by queen-bee
Not enough is being done at home. No work ethnic coupled with laziness and as you say,Bill.. Perhaps chav culture?

But these things tend not to be choices. We're just robots, and almost everything has a reason.
Why are they lazy and have no work ethic, and consequently not do enough at home?

My view:
- Poor attitude

Your views?

Does it include Irish Travellers? Some statistics list gypsies are the worst performing ethnic group instead of Bangladeshi or Pakistanis.
Reply 19
The way modern identity politics work means that someone will always be at the bottom of the priority pile. Unfortunately for white boys they are the only 'safe' group to put there.
If any organisation were to prioritise boys over girls they would be immediately attacked by feminist groups.
If any organisation were to prioritise whites over other races they would be immediately attacked by anti-racist groups

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending