The Student Room Group

Lemur's GYG Thread

Hello, and welcome to my GYGs thread.
[scroll]Update schedule: Tuesday, Thursday :smile:[/scroll]
[scroll]Mocks WB 20th/27th June :frown:[/scroll]
I am currently in year 10. Most of my GCSEs will be taken in 2017, including the new Maths and English GCSEs.

Current Grades

Spoiler

My best subjects are maths, chemistry, computing and history. My favourites are computing and history although I do love chemistry as well. My weakest subjects are biology and RE. Biology is mostly the fact that we had supply while covering B1 and a rubbish teacher now, covering B2. RE, we only really cover Christianity and Islam which means I muddle the religious teachings quite a bit as they are similar and my exam technique definitely needs improving.

Sets
Maths - set 1
English - set 1b (1 is the top sets)
Sciences - set 1b (1 means doing triple science, b means set 2)
ECDL - set 1

Exam Boards

Spoiler

School Current Predicted Grade / My Target Grade

Spoiler

Other notes:

Spoiler

Credit to @JTran38 for the layout of most of this as I stole it from his thread. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On this post I shall be attaching my revision notes, in the hope I can keep them all in one place on here :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the mention @Lemur14 :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
Thanks for the mention @Lemur14 :biggrin:

Np :smile:
This update is going to cover the whole of half-term as my grandparents were here so I haven't done much work :frown:

What I have done:

Completed history International Relations section 1 notes

Completed physics graph

Started C2 notes

Revised parts of C2

Started to memorise my subroutines for task 4 and 5 in Computing

To do:

Practice and record my English monologue (DONE)

Make sure I know my task 4-5 subroutines back to front (for Monday)

Complete my C2 notes (ASAP)

Revise from my C2 notes AND BBC Bitesize for the Chemistry test (Monday)

Finish my physics and biology notes (when I have time)

Annotate the sections of ACC that have been read but yet to be annotated (when I have time)

I posted this last night but it decided not to come for some reason again :\ I don't think my computer likes TSR.
Woke up this morning feeling terrible so I'm not sure how much work is going to get done but I'll do my best. Feeling a bit better now so will work but keep it easy for now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14
This update is going to cover the whole of half-term as my grandparents were here so I haven't done much work :frown:

What I have done:

Completed history International Relations section 1 notes

Completed physics graph

Started C2 notes

Revised parts of C2

Started to memorise my subroutines for task 4 and 5 in Computing

To do:

Practice and record my English monologue (due Thursday)

Make sure I know my task 4-5 subroutines back to front (for Monday)

Complete my C2 notes (ASAP)

Revise from my C2 notes for the Chemistry test (Monday)

Finish my physics and biology notes (when I have time)

Annotate the sections of ACC that have been read but yet to be annotated (when I have time)

I posted this last night but it decided not to come for some reason again :\ I don't think my computer likes TSR.
Woke up this morning feeling terrible so I'm not sure how much work is going to get done but I'll do my best. Feeling a bit better now so will work but keep it easy for now.

I haven't done much during half term, getting carried away all the time and now I'm watching Chelsea vs Liverpool. Will make a update on my GYG thread soon.
Original post by JTran38
I haven't done much during half term, getting carried away all the time and now I'm watching Chelsea vs Liverpool. Will make a update on my GYG thread soon.

You've done loads of revision (or at any rate planned loads of revision).
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
You've done loads of revision (or at any rate planned loads of revision).

LOOL :bigsmile: I think I did ... Anyways I'm so hyped up from #LFC 3-1 #CFC win at Stamford Bridge.
I just posted a massive post and now it's disappeared into space :frown: Start again then :frown:
I'm just summarising as I don't have the energy to type it all out again.
Today I had double computing, ECDL, Chemistry and PE.
Double Computing was ok. I got all of task 4 and part of task 5 programmed and evidenced :smile: The teacher has given us an extra 2 hours to work on our solution development which is good as I still have tasks 5-8 to finish. Task 5 (simple), task 6 (mid- difficult), task 7 (really easy), task 8(simple). Hopefully 6 hours is enough for this.
ECDL was ok. We had a progress test (as usual, have one most lessons) and did a task and got set more revision homework (The tests are common sense so revision is not really needed but I'll try and fit some in next week if I have time)
Chemistry was difficult. There were things in the test that we hadn't done in class but when we started to mark it, I didn't seem to have done too badly(hopefully, we marked the bit I thought I did best in so not necessarily the best measure).
PE was PE. I hate it but it could have been a lot worse. Thankfully we swapped activities to gym from trampolining (which is torture multiplied when you have an international trampolining champion as your teacher). We're now doing gym and squash (in Fitness First).

To do:

Memorise my Computing tasks 5-8, prioritising earlier tasks (due Weds 11th)

Complete all Science notes (when I have my book)

Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every day)

Revise for ECDL (for Thurs 12th)

Complete work for Review day (as soon as it is emailed, review day is weds and work is normally emailed on Monday but no sign of anything yet)

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Lemur14
I just posted a massive post and now it's disappeared into space :frown: Start again then :frown:

Poor thing ...
Original post by JTran38
Poor thing ...

I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not...?
Reply 11
Original post by Lemur14
I'm not sure if that's sarcastic or not...?

It wasn't sarcastic ...
Original post by JTran38
It wasn't sarcastic ...

Sounded it, sorry. Edited the post now :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Lemur14
Sounded it, sorry. Edited the post now :smile:

DW :smile:
Today was ok. I had double history, double business and English.
For double history, we did a 6 mark explain question and then covered the Manchuria crisis in relation to Japan and the League of Nations (non) actions.
For double business, first we did a bit more of our on-going investment task online before covering franchises. Then we did a multiple choice test and some other exam questions.
For English, we had a supply teacher. We had to write a response to an essay question which was quite difficult as the teacher obviously thought we had read more than we had as it was based on a bit of the book we haven't read/analysed yet!
Finally received the review work just now and have 3 piece to complete. It shouldn't be too difficult although I might email the physics teacher and ask if he actually wants the biology work they have set for if you have science done as last year we did it and he didn't want to collect (or mark it!)
I've also been asked to do a meeting on Thursday which will mean I miss maths, so I need to email my teacher to ask for work for that as well.

To do

Complete the maths, English and science work (tonight and tomorrow)

Complete any work that my maths teacher asks me to complete for Thursday (do by Friday)

Complete all Science notes (when I have my book)

Should be easily achievable, particularly with tomorrow off. :smile: Have to go into school for 15 minutes tomorrow morning for review but then I've got the rest of the day (until 5:45 ish) off.

(edited 8 years ago)
Today has been mostly good.
We had review day so we're off school and got set work. I've done 4 pages of maths work and a load of biology questions. Only got my English to do now which is okay apart from the fact we have to invent a new character for A Christmas Carol and I have no imagination (the furthest I have got with an idea is being a fly on the wall in Scrooge's house lol) We have to write a diary entry for the character which should be easy once I've got a character. I've also done some of my investments for business and had my review appointment. The teacher was running 15 minutes late after less than an hour so I'm wondering how late he's running now lol. The targets are stupid as well as he said we had to have several targets and his suggestions were nothing helpful :frown:

To do:

Complete the English review work (tonight)

Complete any work that my maths teacher asks me to complete for Thursday (do by Friday if emailed, none been sent yet)

Complete all Science notes (when I have my books)

Yesterday was a very busy day!
Instead of form time and P1 (maths) I had a student council meeting which overran by half an hour which meant I also missed half of physics. Then I had chemistry which was ok. It was a reflection lesson to finish marking our tests and sorting out our books etc. I got 74% in my test which is an B so I'm happy with it as it's pretty much impossible to get an A* in one of the tests as they deliberately set the grade boundaries really high. Next I had RE which wasn't great, mainly down to the new topic we have started - Religion and Death. Finally, I had business which was a bit boring as it was another recap (of the same thing as we recapped last lesson) but at the end of the lesson we got to do some of our student investor which was good. After school I had another biology catch-up session which was ok apart from the fact everyone was really tired and also it was quite easy so we probably could have done something more useful with that hour. Once I finally got home, I had the national cipher challenge to do which normally takes about 10-15 minutes at this stage but for some reason I could not get it out and so it took nearly 2 hours :frown:
Yesterday I got maths (catch-up), chemistry, re and business homework which was a bit of a pain as I wasn't supposed to get business and now I haven't done my chemistry as I had to do that :frown:

Today I had biology, English, pe, maths and history.
Biology was the usual - we had the toy microscopes out for once and were supposed to fill out a sheet which miss said was self-explanatory but it wasn't and when we asked her to explain it she didn't. Then we had English. It was ok, we had a recap session and then read pages 44-50 in the book. The teacher has booked A Christmas Carol to see at the theatre in January so when we get the letter (hopefully Monday) then I'm gonna sign up to that :smile: Next was PE which was a bit boring as we did squash and only 2 people can play at once but I don't really like squash as I can't play it so I didn't really mind. Next we had maths which was a bit confusing as I missed yesterdays lesson and the catch-up was a bit confusing but once I started doing an example it was quite easy :smile: Finally, we had history which was good for the first half (we had a mock Ofsted today and an inspector was in) but once he'd gone then a lot of the boys started misbehaving.

To do list:

Complete all Science notes (when I have my books)

Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every week day)

Do my chemistry homework (due Weds 11th)

Do my history exam question (due Tues 12th)

Write down my choreography for the dance I'm doing (preferably by Weds 11th)

This weekend has been totally chaotic.
I've managed to get my chemistry and history homework done in the brief time I've had but nothing else has been done :frown: Yesterday we had the introduction rehearsals for the show I'm doing in January/ February and then we had an event which I was dragged along to at 4 -6 (wanted to do my history homework instead) and then most my family went to the fireworks display in the evening. Today, I've been negotiating time to do work and on the computer this morning plus debating between laptops for my birthday. With a lot of negotiation I've finally managed to be allowed 1 hour work on a Sunday which, while isn't a lot is better than nothing :smile: Also, I've (with my sister) been arguing that my brother shouldn't get the computer all weekend just because we have it in the week on a get off once you've finished your work basis. Hasn't got anywhere yet (he's favoured a lot) but we're gonna record how long he gets compared with us and argue it out in a couple of weeks :smile:

To do list:
•Memorise my Computing tasks 5-8, prioritising earlier tasks (due Weds 11th)
•Complete all Science notes (when I have my books)
•Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every week day)
•Revise for ECDL (for Thurs 12th)
•Write down my choreography for the dance I'm doing (preferably by Weds 11th)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Lemur14
This weekend has been totally chaotic.
I've managed to get my chemistry and history homework done in the brief time I've had but nothing else has been done :frown: Yesterday we had the introduction rehearsals for the show I'm doing in January/ February and then we had an event which I was dragged along to at 4 -6 (wanted to do my history homework instead) and then most my family went to the fireworks display in the evening. Today, I've been negotiating time to do work and on the computer this morning plus debating between laptops for my birthday. With a lot of negotiation I've finally managed to be allowed 1 hour work on a Sunday which, while isn't a lot is better than nothing :smile: Also, I've (with my sister) been arguing that my brother shouldn't get the computer all weekend just because we have it in the week on a get off once you've finished your work basis. Hasn't got anywhere yet (he's favoured a lot) but we're gonna record how long he gets compared with us and argue it out in a couple of weeks :smile:

To do list
:•Memorise my Computing tasks 5-8, prioritising earlier tasks (due Weds 11th)
•Complete all Science notes (when I have my books)
•Complete investments for business (before 4:30 every week day)
•Revise for ECDL (for Thurs 12th)
•Write down my choreography for the dance I'm doing (preferably by Weds 11th)

Sorry to hear your weekend's been chaotic, I haven't got onto a good start as I was out again earlier on and I didn't do much yesterday either. I hope you'll get that laptop sooner as it'll end the pain of sibling war and arguments :P .
Original post by JTran38
Sorry to hear your weekend's been chaotic, I haven't got onto a good start as I was out again earlier on and I didn't do much yesterday either. I hope you'll get that laptop sooner as it'll end the pain of sibling war and arguments :P .

Won't end it but will certainly reduce it. Problem with laptops is that new ones are coming out all the time. Had decided on one with my dad and then after we'd agreed it with my mum he found another brand new better but ugly one and now I have to decide between a bit faster and ugly or a bit slower, less ram and looks good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending