The Student Room Group

Help with referencing!

I'm in the process of writing my first summative essay for philosophy, and I'm a little confused re how to reference.

I'm going to outline a few different arguments, but I'm not sure how to go about referencing them - for example, do I outline the entire argument, and then insert a footnote? Or do I insert a footnote after each individual idea within the argument?

e.g.

Descartes says X and Descartes says Y, and then Descartes says Z.1

or

Descartes says X1 and Descartes says Y,2 and then Descartes says Z.3

Obviously, each of the above would span roughly a paragraph or two rather than a single sentence, and the arguments covered are likely to be several pages in length.

Thanks.
Original post by la95
I'm in the process of writing my first summative essay for philosophy, and I'm a little confused re how to reference.

I'm going to outline a few different arguments, but I'm not sure how to go about referencing them - for example, do I outline the entire argument, and then insert a footnote? Or do I insert a footnote after each individual idea within the argument?

e.g.

Descartes says X and Descartes says Y, and then Descartes says Z.1

or

Descartes says X1 and Descartes says Y,2 and then Descartes says Z.3

Obviously, each of the above would span roughly a paragraph or two rather than a single sentence, and the arguments covered are likely to be several pages in length.

Thanks.

Is it the same source you're referencing?
Reply 2
Original post by Asklepios
Is it the same source you're referencing?

Yes. :smile:
Original post by la95
Yes. :smile:

Then you should only reference it once. In terms of in-text citations use a 1 the first time you mention something from that reference and then use a 1 again whenever it isn't clear which reference you're using.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending