The Student Room Group

A-level choices URGENT

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shraya Amin
We don't have as and a2 next year the exams are at the end of the two year course!

You are wrong - maths still has AS and doesn't change until September 2017. Is your school not offering the new AS levels?
Original post by ombtom
From what I remember, AS-level Physics only has GCSE level mathematics. A2 has some logarithms, but it's really not much. I have heard that Chemistry involves a lot of maths.

Can't speak for chemistry but this is really true ^ Just logs and vectors
I'm still confused should I Physics and Spanish or just maths and Spanish

Is Spanish really necessary?
Reply 24

Drop Spanish. Many applicants will have all 3 sciences plus Maths.
I like your choices, the language will also shows there is extra depth to you.
Original post by jneill
Maths is not Physics.

Also Maths is still a fully modular A-level, so you can sit 3 modules in Y12 and 3 in Y13.

Maths > Physics for pretty much any degree including medicine (except for BSc Physics obv...)

Yes, that's true but it's whether the OP is prepared to put up with A Level Maths. As it is clearly evident that they have the raw talent to do well in the subject.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think you should drop maths if you're doing three sciences. Surely maths will help with STEM.
Reply 28
Original post by Scopeowner
Yes, that's true but let's just let the OP decide on what they wish to choose.

They can (and I'm sure, will) decide to do whatever they like. They've asked for advice on a public forum so people are providing it.

All I was doing was correcting the misconceptions that Maths is no longer modular, and that the maths content of Physics is sufficient.

The overall preference for medicine would be Chem > Maths > Bio > Physics > Spanish - in that order. If 1 is being dropped it should be Spanish. Especially as a constrasting subject is not really that useful and not required. The OP can always use their uni's language lab if they want to continue with Spanish (and have the time...)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
They can (and I'm sure, will) decide to do whatever they like. They've asked for advice on a public forum so people are providing it.

Instead of stating the absolute obvious, why don't you continue to give useful advice to the OP? I'm sure the OP doesn't want people like you and myself telling each other the obvious.

All I've said is that Physics incoroporates a bit of C1 AS Maths, as I speak from personal experience. I know that Physics is not Maths and vice versa, and it is purely down to the OP to make the decision to take Maths - which will be quite useful but NOT necessary for Medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30

Instead of stating the absolute obvious, why don't you continue to give useful advice to the OP? I'm sure the OP doesn't want people like you and myself telling each other the obvious.

All I've said is that Physics incoroporates a bit of C1 AS Maths, as I speak from personal experience. I know that Physics is not Maths and vice versa, and it is purely down to the OP to make the decision to take Maths - which will be quite useful but NOT necessary for Medicine.

Are you sure?

Did you see my edit?
Original post by jneill
Are you sure?

Did you see my edit?

What are you talking about?

Anyways, I don't care. Let's just cease this argument because it will not help the OP in any way.
Reply 32
What are you talking about?

Anyways, I don't care. Let's just cease this argument because it will not help the OP in any way.

Who's arguing? :confused:

As I quoted in my post: the OP has even posted "I'm still confused should I Physics and Spanish or just maths and Spanish" So they clearly remain unsure about their best options.

OP, @Shraya Amin, the typical best options have been provided. But only you can decide if they are the best for you. :smile:
hiya im choosing my options soon, and i would like a bit of feedback on whether they would be beneficial or not, i am leaning towards a medical field.
im thinking Biology Chemistry physics (i am a a* gcse maths, but i dont enjoy it) and Spanish.
But next year they are taking out as and a2 so all the exams are at the end and cannot drop any of them.
Am a making any bad choices (esp spanish and physics)

Whatever you choose to do Good Luck! :smile:

In terms of choice regarding your subjects, I would recommend having a look at what Universities accept as GCE subjects for the Medicine course. As I am pretty sure Maths is not required for Medicine, but you should still check this. Choose subjects that you will need for Medicine, but you need to be able to enjoy them because you will be studying them for 2 years. So it's best to choose wisely. :smile:
Original post by jneill
Who's arguing? :confused:

As I quoted in my post: the OP has even posted "I'm still confused should I Physics and Spanish or just maths and Spanish" So they clearly remain unsure about their best options.

OP, @Shraya Amin, the typical best options have been provided. But only you can decide if they are the best for you. :smile:

Well you are now, because you don't seem to understand when its time to stop. As I've said, this conversation between us is absolutely pointless as it won't help the OP in any way. So just stop replying to my posts, because it's pointless and a waste of your time.
I would definatley do your chemistry and biology if youre considering medicine, as they are to two you definatley need. I'm appying for radiography and I do biology, physics, psychology and art. I am the only one in my physics class who doesn't do maths so sometimes it takes me longer to get to grips with some of th emaths we use in physics, but its not too bad. whereas those who do maths say that sometimes physics condridicts what they learnt in maths and then they get confused, so it has its pros and cons. In terms of spanish i think its a good options, medical schools like to see that you have something different, and this could take you to different countries to practise medicine too. However spanish is really hard, my friend got an a* at gcse and still has to resist their exams because they got i think a c overall, but im not sure? basically i would only do spanish if youre sure youre going to get the grade you need, otherwise it will bring your tariff points down for UCAS. Basically I suggest doing all 3 sciences (most people at my school do that if applying for medical related courses) and then choose a subject that you enjoy and are good at, if you can only do 3 a levels then definatley bio and chem, the last one up to you. you definaltey dont need maths though if youre not good at it, we had someone go to oxford for medicine and she did bio, chem, physics and art :smile: Good luck!
Original post by ombtom
Really? What topics? :unsure:

The unit called 'Waves' contain some AS Maths work. I know Mechanics, D.C. Electricity and Nature of Light all contain GCSE maths work, but they aren't as difficult as Waves. However this differs between exam boards.
Reply 37
Should I do Spanish at a level

If you like Spanish and think you will do well, there's no reason you shouldn't chose it. Languages are sought after skills, whatever your field (as everyone always tells me) I'm making my options this year aswell and I'm planning to keep French I love it and its useful. However if you don't like Spanish don't do it because you might be miserable.
Reply 38
Well you are now, because you don't seem to understand when its time to stop. As I've said, this conversation between us is absolutely pointless as it won't help the OP in any way. So just stop replying to my posts, because it's pointless and a waste of your time.

You engaged with me. I didn't address anything to you initially. So yeah thanks for your input.
hiya im choosing my options soon, and i would like a bit of feedback on whether they would be beneficial or not, i am leaning towards a medical field.
im thinking Biology Chemistry physics (i am a a* gcse maths, but i dont enjoy it) and Spanish.
But next year they are taking out as and a2 so all the exams are at the end and cannot drop any of them.
Am a making any bad choices (esp spanish and physics)

I did spanish and physics, I get an A in Spanish, i am spanish and I couldnt get A*, (i was close tho) anyway its good if you like the lenguaje because its more difficult than GCSE, my friend get A in GCSE spanish (she is english) and probably she will get a C or D for her A2, do it if you like it, but its a lot of writting.

and physics its too hard! my as results:
A music
B maths
C art
E physics
and A in A2spanish

Quick Reply

Latest