The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farah_786
I don't know of any people that joined ISIS. I doubt them terrorist have read the full Quran..

Yeah but they must have read the Quran right?

Point is, no other religion INSPIRES people to harm others just because of their faith, no one would have an issue with Islam if it was peaceful as it claimed but it's not and there's plenty of proof for that.

I don't believe all muslims are bad people but to claim that the majority of muslims are peaceful person is laughable.
I'm a Muslim convert, have been for a good 3-4 years now. I understand how you feel about questioning the religion, as a young Muslim, I also do question some of the Qurán but I think it's good to question what you read...
My only questions are: Are you really sure about leaving Islam? I understand you question the Quráns sayings but perhaps maybe just talking to your parents about certain things may help you? But if you're 100% sure you want to leave, I think, unless you think your parents will react badly, tell them, or maybe drop some hints idk, If you reckon they may take it harshly I would consider waiting until you're an independent.
If you're really serious about leaving then I hope it's an easy process for you to tell your family ISA :smile:
Original post by zooloowarrier
yeah but they must have read the quran right?

Point is, no other religion inspires people to harm others just because of their faith, no one would have an issue with islam if it was peaceful as it claimed but it's not and there's plenty of proof for that.

I don't believe all muslims are bad people but to claim that the majority of muslims are peaceful person is laughable.

have you heard of ku klux klan?? And i beleive majority of muslims are peaceful other wise it wouldn't be the fastest growing religion in the world. Tbh as a muslim i didn't even know what a 'terrorist' was until the age of 14 (media propaganda)...
Original post by jensenbudz611
I'm a Muslim convert, have been for a good 3-4 years now. I understand how you feel about questioning the religion, as a young Muslim, I also do question some of the Qurán but I think it's good to question what you read...

What part of the Qur'an do you question?
have you heard of ku klux klan?? And i beleive majority of muslims are peaceful other wise it wouldn't be the fastest growing religion in the world.

Why does the alleged peaceful nature of Islam have anything it's speed of growth?

The biggest factor in Islam's growth is high birthrates amongst Muslims (both having more children than average, as well as being younger when beginning a family)

And to be honest, many of the people who convert to Islam are the extreme violent ones. This link lists plenty of them

Tbh as a muslim i didn't even know what a 'terrorist' was until the age of 14 (media propaganda)...

Are you referring to Islamic media propaganda? I mean the Islamic media that denies the violent teachings of Islam, and denies the possibility of Muslims being involved with terrorism......
Original post by Vegito
If you don't want to hear any "Quran" verse then you shouldn't bother asking people here what you want to do. Just go and think your self how to tell your parents instead of making a drama.

She was asking for practical advice on how best to break the news to her parents.

Since she isn't a Muslim anymore, there's no need for the Qur'an in this, and the request for no Qur'an quotes was more a hint to Muslims desperately wanting to give dawah and trying and stop her making this very sensible decision to leave. But it was obviously lost on many of the Muslims who still couldn't stop themselves
Why would reading the Quran make you join ISIS. I've read the Quran a few times and tbh I despise ISIS.

What are ISIS doing which you feel is unislamic and going against the Qur'an?
Original post by Rat_Bag
She was asking for practical advice on how best to break the news to her parents.

Since she isn't a Muslim anymore, there's no need for the Qur'an in this, and the request for no Qur'an quotes was more a hint to Muslims desperately wanting to give dawah and trying and stop her making this very sensible decision to leave. But it was obviously lost on many of the Muslims who still couldn't stop themselves

Wait wait... "Sensible decision"?? Who are you to say its a sensible decision?? If you can say its a sensible decision then surely everyone has the same right to say its not if they wish to.
I guess some people like you just never learn to mind their own business and have to interfere with other people.
Reply 228
Hello, I thought I'd share my experience with you and hopefully this would help you - I'm really hoping you read this but there has been a lot of messages not really relevant to your original dilemma so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.

So, I am an athiest and always have been despite being brought up in a lenient Muslim family.
I did label myself as a Muslim only because that was the norm to do so, I live in a Bengali-Muslim area so it wasn't normal to be non-Muslim and Bengali; however, I've never thought that God existed and I knew that practicing Islam was not for me but I didn't know of any other beliefs other than Islam and Christianity. I pretty much accepted that I was an athiest at the age of 12 - thanks religious studies for teaching me about athiesm!
I didn't feel the need to tell anyone that I was an athiest but being in that Bengali-Muslim area, Islam was brought up pretty frequently and when someone lectured me about the principles of Islam, I felt the need to inform them that I am an athiest so they could stop lecturing me; the word spread incredibly quickly - much to my annoyance. ********s being ********s in secondary school felt the need to tell me that I was going to hell, ask me stupid questions such 'How could you not believe in God? 'You were born a Muslim' - the f- are you talking about, religion is a choice.
I'm very LGBT+ so I couldn't understand how 'God' could hate people that are born a way or how men could have 4 wives but women couldn't - I feel that women are seen as less in Islam. Similarly to you OP, I used to and still do have heated arguments with people who claim being gay is a choice - yeah right, someone will willing make the choice to be gay, just so they could be hated and beaten.

Remember, I did not feel the need to state that I am an athiest and I didn't tell my mum (single parent household) until I was 15-16? She was annoying me with some stupid Islamic lecture so I announced that I'm an athiest and she responded with 'You're going to hell' so I laughed and said 'Hell doesn't ****ing exist but I'll happily go if it does.' - she doesn't give a ****. I didn't tell my father until the year after because I rarely see him and whenever he comes over to give religious lectures, I plug in my headphones - he said something like 'Don't say that, how do you think it would reflect upon me when I have to meet God.' He pisses me off soo much but I only interact with him when I need money which is rarely.

I didn't get kicked out of my house, being an athiest hasn't made a difference to how my family treat me although now thankfully, they don't expect me to fast during Ramadhan because I haven't in ages; I have friends who don't treat me any differently and support that I am an athiest.

Personally, I want to tell you to tell your family because it could cause you emotional distress and I feel that you know that you are an athiest and that it's not a phase but obviously, every family is different and I feel that you should be able to know your family well enough to predict their reactions.
Maybe, you could make up a story where one of your friends have become an athiest so that you could see their
reactions?

I hope this helps, let us know what your decision is.
Original post by Vegito
Wait wait... "Sensible decision"?? Who are you to say its a sensible decision??

By awareness of the fact that leaving Islam is a good thing for somebody's mind and intellectual development. Islam holds people back in so many ways and poisons their mind with hateful and intolerance beliefs.

Original post by Vegito
If you can say its a sensible decision then surely everyone has the same right to say its not if they wish to.

Sure, but the OP has said she isn't interested in people saying it's a bad decision based on the Qur'an

Original post by Vegito
I guess some people like you just never learn to mind their own business and have to interfere with other people.

Erm, the OP has come to a public forum asking for advice. The only people she wants to mind their own business on this are people who are only interested in bringing Qur'an nonsense onto the thread.

Anyway, you sounds very touchy by this subject. Why does it upset and rattle you so much that people are abandoning Islam?
Being gay is a choice.

Some people were straight but now they are gay so, what has happened? It is a choice.

In secs school I knew 2 gay people.
Come to Jesus and he will give you rest.
Reply 232
Original post by Alba2013
Is it really important to you that your parents know you're leaving Islam? (congratulations, by the way!) if not you might want to keep it quiet just in case they take it badly.

a bit rude of you to say congrats because some of us are muslim, like myself, and find that offensive.
Reply 233
Original post by Zamestaneh
May Allah guide you and soften your heart
But it is Allah who has deliberately misguided him and sealed his heart.
Do you challenge Allah's actions?
You clearly think he was wrong to make PC a disbeliever.
At the end of the day it's your choice.
I've had doubts many times about my religion but at the end of the day it's up to you.
Original post by ZayaanH
a bit rude of you to say congrats because some of us are muslim, like myself, and find that offensive.

I find being a Muslim offensive so it's a bit rude of you to come here and tell everyone you're a Muslim
Im...idk a liberal muslim maybe? Agnostic? Anyway I find myself questioning a lot of Qur'ans teachings these days especially after studying RMPS for 5 years and i still am. I do consider myself a muslim in identity, however, that doesn't mean that i blindly follow everything in the faith. tbh a lot of the sayings and teachings are quite nonsensical. But despite all of Islam's flaws, be they plentiful indeed, i myself chose to accept the good parts of the religion whilst disregarding all of the outdated mumbo-jumbo it offers.

In terms of telling your parents, make sure that you are absolutely certain that you are truly an atheist and if that is the case then consider the impact that may have on you and your family before telling them. After considering everything, do you still want to tell them? if so then go for it and good luck! Personally if i told my parents i was atheist, they would be pretty disappointed especially my dad who's fairly devout however those feelings would dissipate pretty quickly as my parents are understanding and trust me to know that i was resolved in my decision. On the flipside if i decided not to tell them i was an atheist, I wouldn't mind keeping the appearance of being a muslim if it meant that I can keep a good relationship with my family.

Anyway, i hope it all works out well :smile:
Reply 237
Original post by Blackstarr
Being gay is a choice.

Some people were straight but now they are gay so, what has happened? It is a choice.

In secs school I knew 2 gay people.

So apparently knowing 2 gay people is enough to make a generalisation?
Wow...
Original post by ZayaanH

A great many Muslims find a great many things offensive (from teddy bears and Bibles, to uncovered female heads and drawings of people). Therefore the only solution is just to ignore them when "I'm offended" bleating starts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rat_Bag
And you weren't present 1400 years ago, so by your reasoning, you cannot say it is written by God.

U were also not present 1400 years ago, so ho can u say that is is wrong...
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending