The Student Room Group

Birkbeck University- a uni for young people?

I'm thinking of applying to Birkbeck Uni for its journalism course. I'd say its one of my top choices because all the modules are optional from year 2 and onwards. For a person such as myself, I'm not thinking of going into broadcast so its perfect for me since broadcast isn't compulsory.

But I was told by my tutor that I shouldn't apply because of its adult environment. What I think he means by adult is that postgraduates tend to go there? I'm not sure. I was told that there are more of those in their 30's than there are young students by an advisor. Although, a few students from my college go there now so I don't think it should be a big deal.

I don't really know the university but it's just a few bus stops away from me which is convenient. I'm also considering on going to an open evening but slightly concerned that I will be in a crowd full of middle aged grown ups and there's midget me. Haha.

Nonetheless, I consider myself quite mature but is there any societies or any social aspects for young students (straight out of sixth form/college)?
I wouldn't mind if the uni was a bit toned down social wise than other unis because I'm not into parties but I do want to join a society and find myself a new social circle.

Thanks in advance.
don't they have their lectures in the evening?
Original post by Hai_Ann
I'm thinking of applying to Birkbeck Uni for its journalism course. I'd say its one of my top choices because all the modules are optional from year 2 and onwards. For a person such as myself, I'm not thinking of going into broadcast so its perfect for me since broadcast isn't compulsory.

But I was told by my tutor that I shouldn't apply because of its adult environment. What I think he means by adult is that postgraduates tend to go there? I'm not sure. I was told that there are more of those in their 30's than there are young students by an advisor. Although, a few students from my college go there now so I don't think it should be a big deal.

I don't really know the university but it's just a few bus stops away from me which is convenient. I'm also considering on going to an open evening but slightly concerned that I will be in a crowd full of middle aged grown ups and there's midget me. Haha.

Nonetheless, I consider myself quite mature but is there any societies or any social aspects for young students (straight out of sixth form/college)?
I wouldn't mind if the uni was a bit toned down social wise than other unis because I'm not into parties but I do want to join a society and find myself a new social circle.

Thanks in advance.

It's not really likely to be what you are after at your age, tbh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkbeck,_University_of_London
It's a university that does all its teaching in the evenings because it is aimed at older students who have full time jobs, families, mortgages and other commitments, but who want to fit degree level study around their other commitments, often on a part time basis.

I'd agree with CLR that it's probably not what you want at your stage of life.

However, the saving grace of studying there is that it is part of the University of London, so you could get involved with other University of London college's societies fairly easily (eg UCL, KCL, SOAS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Proxenus
don't they have their lectures in the evening?

Yep, that's another factor as to why I'm attracted to this uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's not really likely to be what you are after at your age, tbh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkbeck,_University_of_London

Hmm thanks for your input. But I do know a few exceptions :/
The link doesn't really specifically mention having older students.
Original post by Hai_Ann
Hmm thanks for your input. But I do know a few exceptions :/
The link doesn't really specifically mention having older students.

Well, it has part time courses taken in the evening, with the aim of being accessible to people who work during the day, and it does not have its own halls of residence, so it's up to you to decide if this fits the bill of what 18 year olds want.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's a university that does all its teaching in the evenings because it is aimed at older students who have full time jobs, families, mortgages and other commitments, but who want to fit degree level study around their other commitments, often on a part time basis.

I'd agree with CLR that it's probably not what you want at your stage of life.

However, the saving grace of studying there is that it is part of the University of London, so you could get involved with other University of London college's societies fairly easily (eg UCL, KCL, SOAS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's what my advisor mentioned- that it's a part of University of London and it's mostly aimed for those with jobs.

But should I keep it as just a choice? I'm thinking of University of Westminster as my top choice because I know they'll probably be willing to accept me.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, it has part time courses taken in the evening, with the aim of being accessible to people who work during the day, and it does not have its own halls of residence, so it's up to you to decide if this fits the bill of what 18 year olds want.

I guess I have to talk to some younger students there to find out what it's really like. I guess I'll consider it as one of my choices for now but not as a top choice.
Reply 9
Hey, I've been at Birkbeck little over a month now. I had the same concern as you, but now that I'm here, the whole age thing isn't a big deal anymore. Common interests, goals and personalities make you forget that you might be speaking to someone a lot older than you, and perhaps who wouldn't normally mingle with. And to be quite honest, in my experience, some of the older students are actually the craziest. I wouldn't say I have any 'friends' yet, but the people I often speak to have been a mix of young and older, mostly young though because there are more of them in my classes.

Student Central next door and societies are a good way to find more people who are more to your liking if and when you do feel like you need get away from the mature environment of Bbk.

Two of the perks I've noticed so far is firstly, it's GREAT for networking. You meet a lot people who have already established jobs and careers in their chosen professions, and whether it's for careers advice, or if you need someone to spread your good name or to introduce you to the right people, your peers can come in really handy. The second perk is that as I'm one of the younger students in some classes, I've gotten away with making some really stupid comments at times, and they just let my extreme awkwardness slide too.
Hi, I'm starting the journalism and media course this October and if you did end up going there, what's it like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending