The Student Room Group

“The images of brilliant emptiness" within The Handmaid's Tale?

English Lit - Just gone out on a whim really, as I'm struggling a little with this essay title:
“The images ofbrilliant emptiness are one of the most striking aspects of this novel abouttotalitarian blindness… the effect is chilling” - Discuss.
The quote seems to be simply a review from the Sunday Times, and yet I am completely unsure where to start with this question?!
I know I need to include historical context, reference to imagery, language etc. and literary criticism - was wondering if anyone has the foggiest idea of what I could include?
Would be very much appreciated!:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 1
Familiar with the book but never actually studied in class so don't really have a huge knowledge of detail for it, but is emptiness referring to the woman themselves? Like, how they're not really treated as people, just empty vessels.

"We are two-legged wombs, that's all: sacred vessels, ambulatory chalices. We are containers, it's only the insides of our bodies that are important. What we prayed for was emptiness, so we would be worthy to be filled: with grace, with love, with self-denial, with semen and babies."

Also at the beginning it always surprised me how accepting how Ofred/many of the other women became. When she was explaining the new way of life it seemed to have a very 'that's just the way things are now' attitude about it, could emotional numbness count as emptiness? Lack of independant thought etc

Could contrast her new empty, dull life with her old, interesting one. Or go the other way round and and do like happy emptiness, as the old days were more carefree - empty of expectations to conceive. This is just me trying to bull**** though, you can tell I'm struggling for ideas haha.

Historical context I guess since it says 'totaltarian blindness' in the Q, research totalirian states, maybe puritism? Also I'm sure it can be linked to feminism somehow, most of this book can tbh.

Not sure if that helps at all, but just some ideas :smile: Just as I finished typing this I realised it was posted 3 days ago so I'm probably too late anyway haha. It's a hard question though! Like I would be reaching/scraping so much l if I had to do it
Original post by sadface
Familiar with the book but never actually studied in class so don't really have a huge knowledge of detail for it, but is emptiness referring to the woman themselves? Like, how they're not really treated as people, just empty vessels.

"We are two-legged wombs, that's all: sacred vessels, ambulatory chalices. We are containers, it's only the insides of our bodies that are important. What we prayed for was emptiness, so we would be worthy to be filled: with grace, with love, with self-denial, with semen and babies."

Also at the beginning it always surprised me how accepting how Ofred/many of the other women became. When she was explaining the new way of life it seemed to have a very 'that's just the way things are now' attitude about it, could emotional numbness count as emptiness? Lack of independant thought etc

Could contrast her new empty, dull life with her old, interesting one. Or go the other way round and and do like happy emptiness, as the old days were more carefree - empty of expectations to conceive. This is just me trying to bull**** though, you can tell I'm struggling for ideas haha.

Historical context I guess since it says 'totaltarian blindness' in the Q, research totalirian states, maybe puritism? Also I'm sure it can be linked to feminism somehow, most of this book can tbh.

Not sure if that helps at all, but just some ideas :smile: Just as I finished typing this I realised it was posted 3 days ago so I'm probably too late anyway haha. It's a hard question though! Like I would be reaching/scraping so much l if I had to do it

Thank you so much - really appreciate it! Handed it in today - it was awful, but at least it's done haha!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending