The Student Room Group

Music BTEC vs Music A level

Which is the better course and why?
BUMP
Original post by passivepineapple
Which is the better course and why?

I am doing my grade 5 in piano this may, and my grade 8 next november.
I did BTEC music last year and It was really good, my teacher recomended it to me.

Its a loot of coursework, but at the same time the units are really cool, I did a lot of performances because I love them, and I even could do a film hahaha

My teacher told me that Alevel music its more about theory, composition and music analysis, which I found a bit boring, for me music its all about practise and performances.

I had the opportunity of develop my performances and I learned so many new songs.
Original post by Ximena Roldan
I am doing my grade 5 in piano this may, and my grade 8 next november.
I did BTEC music last year and It was really good, my teacher recomended it to me.

Its a loot of coursework, but at the same time the units are really cool, I did a lot of performances because I love them, and I even could do a film hahaha

My teacher told me that Alevel music its more about theory, composition and music analysis, which I found a bit boring, for me music its all about practise and performances.

I had the opportunity of develop my performances and I learned so many new songs.

Which units did you do? How many songs did you have to learn?
Which units did you do? How many songs did you have to learn?

I did it in two years

Year 1:
Music Practise (2 solos + logbook + evaluation + rehearsals essay + 2 duets)
Solo music practise (5 solos + logbook)
Classical music practise: 2 solos 2 duets

year 2:
Special subject investigation: I did film music investigation
Music project: I organized a concert in my school
Modern music: investigation about the music from 1900 until today

because my school is small I could pick up the units
I did it in two years

Year 1:
Music Practise (2 solos + logbook + evaluation + rehearsals essay + 2 duets)
Solo music practise (5 solos + logbook)
Classical music practise: 2 solos 2 duets

year 2:
Special subject investigation: I did film music investigation
Music project: I organized a concert in my school
Modern music: investigation about the music from 1900 until today

because my school is small I could pick up the units

Can you do popular music songs? Do you learn any theory?
Can you do popular music songs? Do you learn any theory?

I did learn popular songs, you choose them! :biggrin: thats great becuase you do what you like, and i didnt have to learn any thory, my teacher helped me to learn the difficult part of the sheets :biggrin:
I did learn popular songs, you choose them! :biggrin: thats great becuase you do what you like, and i didnt have to learn any thory, my teacher helped me to learn the difficult part of the sheets :biggrin:

Ah wicked, which songs did you do? Also which classical ones did you do?

What do you actually do in lessons? Just learn your songs?
Ah wicked, which songs did you do? Also which classical ones did you do?

What do you actually do in lessons? Just learn your songs?

i did
Alice in wonderland theme, Pirates of the caribbean, fly, toy story, atlas (coldplay), can-can, and clasicals, the nutcracker, the blue danube, toccata and fuge, and adagio in Dminor(i am not sure about the name of this last one)

In the lessons I did rehearsals, coursework and some planning for my project
i did
Alice in wonderland theme, Pirates of the caribbean, fly, toy story, atlas (coldplay), can-can, and clasicals, the nutcracker, the blue danube, toccata and fuge, and adagio in Dminor(i am not sure about the name of this last one)

In the lessons I did rehearsals, coursework and some planning for my project

So te teachers don't teach you anything as such?
So te teachers don't teach you anything as such?

They give you feedback, and instructions about writting essays :smile:
But do they give lessons? Like this is the dorian scale etc, or this is a piano :biggrin:
They give you feedback, and instructions about writting essays :smile:

But do they give lessons? Like this is the dorian scale etc, or this is a piano
But do they give lessons? Like this is the dorian scale etc, or this is a piano

well, you have to choose an instrument, its much easier if you already know how to play, my teacher didnt have to teach me piano so I saved a lot of time
Reply 14
I would say do the music A level, it is more respected and shows that you can compose in certain styles, play music to a high standard and also be able to apply your musical knowledge in the exam. Granted the btec course may seem more appealing or easier, in the long run of you decided to want to study music at university, the a level in it would be more useful.

I'm currently studying Music at A-level and its one of my fave subjects. It can be difficult but really quite enjoyable and rewarding.
Original post by Ayooo
I would say do the music A level, it is more respected and shows that you can compose in certain styles, play music to a high standard and also be able to apply your musical knowledge in the exam. Granted the btec course may seem more appealing or easier, in the long run of you decided to want to study music at university, the a level in it would be more useful.

I'm currently studying Music at A-level and its one of my fave subjects. It can be difficult but really quite enjoyable and rewarding.

I agree, if you are going to do music at uni is better A-level, I didnt had alevel music at my sixthform so I had to do BTEC, however i am working in my grade 6 for piano atm :biggrin: I love music too!
A-Level! Whether or not you are looking for performance-based qualifications (which A-Level is by a 1/3), the fact remains that A-Level will always make you a more rounded musician and therefore a better performer in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending