The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Phil after PhD?

Hi

I'm finishing my PhD studies soon and I'm considering applying for an MPhil degree at Cambridge. I will to apply for the Gates funding as an international student too. Do I stand any chance at either of them, given that I will be applying as a PhD student? Would they rather give the opportunity to someone who is applying for their first master's degree?

Thanks.
Original post by Chi731
Hi

I'm finishing my PhD studies soon and I'm considering applying for an MPhil degree at Cambridge. I will to apply for the Gates funding as an international student too. Do I stand any chance at either of them, given that I will be applying as a PhD student? Would they rather give the opportunity to someone who is applying for their first master's degree?

Thanks.

I think you'd have a better chance of getting reply if you post the question in postgraduate forum. This is mainly for Cambridge undergraduate.
Also, it's always a good idea to contact Graduate Admission office of the department you're thinking of applying because they can usually give you more reliable and specific info about those kind of things, too. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
I think you'd have a better chance of getting reply if you post the question in postgraduate forum. This is mainly for Cambridge undergraduate.
Also, it's always a good idea to contact Graduate Admission office of the department you're thinking of applying because they can usually give you more reliable and specific info about those kind of things, too. :wink:

Thanks you very much. Will do that.
Smiles
Reply 3
I don't see why not. But of course it will depend a lot on your grades, what course you are doing now, what course you want to do and why you want to do an MPhil after a PhD (personal statement).

Also note, that if you already have an MPhil, you can take the course and if you pass it get confirmation that you have done so, but Cambridge will not officially confer the MPhil status on you again. The reason: MPhil is a status and if you are already an MPhil, you cannot become an MPhil again. I don't know how it works for PhD and MPhil's though. Given that a PhD is higher than an MPhil, they might have a similar reasoning here - you should clarify before starting.
Reply 4
Original post by Chr0n
I don't see why not. But of course it will depend a lot on your grades, what course you are doing now, what course you want to do and why you want to do an MPhil after a PhD (personal statement).

Also note, that if you already have an MPhil, you can take the course and if you pass it get confirmation that you have done so, but Cambridge will not officially confer the MPhil status on you again. The reason: MPhil is a status and if you are already an MPhil, you cannot become an MPhil again. I don't know how it works for PhD and MPhil's though. Given that a PhD is higher than an MPhil, they might have a similar reasoning here - you should clarify before starting.

Thanks a lot. I will have to confirm that. I'm doing my PhD on religious studies, but also want to do the Cambridge MPhil in film studies as my work intersects cinema and religion. The Film studies website says that prospective applicants should not contact any of the professors before applying. I'm not sure if this applies to contacting the department for more information. Would you know? Thanks again.
Reply 5
Original post by Chi731
The Film studies website says that prospective applicants should not contact any of the professors before applying. I'm not sure if this applies to contacting the department for more information.

Professors are usually very busy and ill placed to answer administrative questions. The department administrator or course director should be more helpful. If it's the one in the faculty of modern and medieval languages (the website says they do an mphil in film studies), then I guess you should contact these people: http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/graduates/contacts.
Reply 6
Original post by Chr0n
Professors are usually very busy and ill placed to answer administrative questions. The department administrator or course director should be more helpful. If it's the one in the faculty of modern and medieval languages (the website says they do an mphil in film studies), then I guess you should contact these people: http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/graduates/contacts.

Thanks very much. This is very helpful. Yes, it's the one in the faculty of modern and medieval languages. I will contact Dr. Rhodes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending