The Student Room Group

How have youre driving lessons been so far? #2

You might have seen my 1st thread asking this question on the 21st September 2015. Thought I would ask it again and see an update of how everyone is doing. Even if you are new and just started or even passed youre driving test, since answering on my other thread, it would be great to find out.

DOING WELL: I can drive well on the main roads, changing gears, turning, stopping and not having to put the handbrake on a straight road when stopping/traffic lights. I can clutch, break when stationary (or at lights) and also slowly lift the clutch and accelerate when moving behind traffic (green lights), whereas before I HAD to handbreak. That I think has been my biggest achievement?

STRUGGLE: I find at (even slight) hills, whether at a turning, roundabout etc, slowing down and holding the biting point on that slant upwards whilst waiting, that is terrifying. I dont want to roll back if I go to g1 and wait for other cars to pass. I also dont want to handbrake if I have to ONLY wait for one car and then go straight after. I am slowly learning a bit though.... I am probably not making any sense but its hills with slow moving traffic (up hills) that I dread.
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
You might have seen my 1st thread asking this question on the 21st September 2015. Thought I would ask it again and see an update of how everyone is doing. Even if you are new and just started or even passed youre driving test, since answering on my other thread, it would be great to find out.

DOING WELL: I can drive well on the main roads, changing gears, turning, stopping and not having to put the handbrake on a straight road when stopping/traffic lights. I can clutch, break when stationary (or at lights) and also slowly lift the clutch and accelerate when moving behind traffic (green lights), whereas before I HAD to handbreak. That I think has been my biggest achievement?

STRUGGLE: I find at (even slight) hills, whether at a turning, roundabout etc, slowing down and holding the biting point on that slant upwards whilst waiting, that is terrifying. I dont want to roll back if I go to g1 and wait for other cars to pass. I also dont want to handbrake if I have to ONLY wait for one car and then go straight after. I am slowly learning a bit though.... I am probably not making any sense but its hills with slow moving traffic (up hills) that I dread.

how those driving lessons work though... my bday is in may and dunno if i am taking lessons before i am turning 17 or after 17???
and r they difficult?
Original post by fatima1998
how those driving lessons work though... my bday is in may and dunno if i am taking lessons before i am turning 17 or after 17???
and r they difficult?

I think its after? not sure. I just turned 21 and am 7 lessons (2 hours each) in. They are difficult at first. I was really nervous. But to see how far and much I have learnt from my 1st lesson to my current form in driving, its amazing! if I say so myself. However its still a bit iffy <<if thats even word<<... here and there
I think its after? not sure. I just turned 21 and am 7 lessons (2 hours each) in. They are difficult at first. I was really nervous. But to see how far and much I have learnt from my 1st lesson to my current form in driving, its amazing! if I say so myself. However its still a bit iffy <<if thats even word<<... here and there

u started ur lessons so late :u:
does height matters when driving, i am not targetting midgets though not like 4' foot... i am 5' foot
Original post by fatima1998
u started ur lessons so late :u:
does height matters when driving, i am not targetting midgets though not like 4' foot... i am 5' foot

1) Thats the thing nowadays. People feel pressured into driving as soon as they turn 17. Especially if you have friends doing it. Dont be. I didnt care about not driving straight away. Who cares what age you drive. I always see older people (ages between 30-45 (guessing) that are learning to drive!
2) Height was the main actor as to why I didnt drive straight away though I must say....and I didnt NEED to drive straight away anyway. But I was nervous about height as I am just 5ft (like you! :biggrin:). I can see fine over the steering wheel. Driving is good too. soo no need to worry
1) Thats the thing nowadays. People feel pressured into driving as soon as they turn 17. Especially if you have friends doing it. Dont be. I didnt care about not driving straight away. Who cares what age you drive. I always see older people (ages between 30-45 (guessing) that are learning to drive!
2) Height was the main actor as to why I didnt drive straight away though I must say....and I didnt NEED to drive straight away anyway. But I was nervous about height as I am just 5ft (like you! :biggrin:). I can see fine over the steering wheel. Driving is good too. soo no need to worry

but i have to drive straight away coz my sixth form is so far away and i have to get 2 buses to reach to sixth form and it takes an hour too
so if i start learning driving i feel that it would definitely b a time saver plus i dont have to get up soo early to get the bus :smile:
i keep having lessons where i drive really well and then bad lessons where it's like i cant drive at all /:

im like maybe 20ish hours in, i dunno, ive not been keeping up and i still make mistakes with the basics like gear changing, i look down when i change gears which is bad because my attention is diverted, even though i know where the gear thingys are, its just i dont wanna put it in the wrong one, even though i still do.
i still drag my foot off the clutch
and i am awful at planning

i get way too anxious and start thinking so i mess up which is 99% the issue :frown:

i wish i had a car that i could privately practice in, but when i am progressing because im on manoeuvres and my instructor told me to book my test soooo /: my nerves need to back off
Original post by chickenfoot
i keep having lessons where i drive really well and then bad lessons where it's like i cant drive at all /:

im like maybe 20ish hours in, i dunno, ive not been keeping up and i still make mistakes with the basics like gear changing, i look down when i change gears which is bad because my attention is diverted, even though i know where the gear thingys are, its just i dont wanna put it in the wrong one, even though i still do.
i still drag my foot off the clutch
and i am awful at planning

i get way too anxious and start thinking so i mess up which is 99% the issue :frown:

i wish i had a car that i could privately practice in, but when i am progressing because im on manoeuvres and my instructor told me to book my test soooo /: my nerves need to back off

My driving instructor said something similar, one lesson I will do good and 1 or 2 stalls. The next lesson I stall like 5 times and it puts me off the next lesson. With gear changing I know where gear 1-3 is as I use them 99% of my driving lessons. Sometimes We will go on a g4 road. But once in a while I have to tell my instructor what gear I am on as I think I change to the wrong one. Also I sometimes but rarely jump a gear.
Hello!

I started my lessons August. I'm not sure how many I've had...about 15? Maybe more...I haven't been counting but I know I haven't had one a week due to holidays and cancellations etc.
Anyway, It's not coming naturally to me haha! I've a very nervous driver and the more nervous I get, the more mistakes I make which makes me more nervous! It's a vicious cycle (or drive eh eh?!)

I am getting better though, my last lesson was my best yet. Everything just seemed to come together, it was very strange! But in a good way. Even stuck in traffic, on a hill no less, went really well.
I still struggle a bit with my feet co-ordination but I don't stall now , it's just a bit jerky if I feel under pressure to move off quickly. I am good at knowing when to pull out and things like that, like at roundabouts but not when turning right into a junction, I'm crap at that for some reason. I just get a bit flustered!
We're moving on to more complicated roundabouts next lesson and I'm pooing it! I hate people being beside me as I get a bit spooked if they're too close! But my instructor is brilliant so I know I'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending