The Student Room Group

Do You Think This Woman Is Rude?

Poll

Do you think she is?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/nosheen-iqbal-rudeness-kills?CMP=fb_gu

But what is the general view on, say, strolling past a two-hour queue to get into a poncey London restaurant, claiming a reservation you don’t have, and being seated within 10 minutes? One “friend” emailed that as proof that I can be rude. I categorise that as blagging. Rude would have been to stick two fingers up to the people waiting in the cold for their overrated dinner. The same friend mailed again, and mentioned “that time you ran across the square to get the last picnic table ahead of the group walking in front of us”. Again, not rude, just spirited.

Scroll to see replies

journalism is meant to make money and/or get comments rolling on forums. Congrats, you took the bait.
dont care tbh fam
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
journalism is meant to make money and/or get comments rolling on forums. Congrats, you took the bait.

No ****, Sherlock :rolleyes: Actually me and my friends are divided on this. And why would I care if the page gets more views as a result lmao? I'm a leftie anyway so support the Guardian :borat:
Reply 5
I don't think she's that rude :ninja:
I wouldn't say she was rude, because the people she jumped ahead of in the queue didn't know she was lying. I don't think she said anything to them at all/ I do however think she was being fairly inconsiderate. Not rude, but unfair on the others who were before her and waiting as they were supposed to.
If you think she's rude. Then you probably haven't heard about people putting needles in Halloween candy. Now that is rude!
Reply 8
Original post by RiotGirll
No ****, Sherlock :rolleyes: Actually me and my friends are divided on this. And why would I care if the page gets more views as a result lmao? I'm a leftie anyway so support the Guardian :borat:

Hasn't the Guardian gone downhill in the last few years? I get the impression it panders to chavs sometimes.
Reply 9
Original post by yulebook
Hasn't the Guardian gone downhill in the last few years? I get the impression it panders to chavs sometimes.

Not sure about the last few years, but there's been a recent wave of extremist Corbynites who scream at people in the comment sections. I think some of them are the same person :rofl:

It seems to be becoming more tabloid like, why do you say chavs though? :tongue:
Not sure about the last few years, but there's been a recent wave of extremist Corbynites who scream at people in the comment sections. I think some of them are the same person :rofl:

It seems to be becoming more tabloid like, why do you say chavs though? :tongue:

I remember the comments section being a huge reason why I stopped sympathising with that newspaper years ago. I obviously still pay attention to it because it targets some niche arts areas that other newspapers rarely cover (except maybe Times of London and purpose-publications) but IMO it's become too "Labour".
Only a writer in the guardian could possibly describe conning your way past a massive queue of people who are doing it the proper way, or running past people who are clearly moving towards a table to take it, as 'just spirited'.

What an awful woman.

The article is in general totally idiotic. It seems to be premised on the view that, because there are worse kinds of rude behaviour, the kinds she engages in don't matter.

The same goes for the phone comments. She tries to justify her 'glancing at her phone during the course of a three hour meal' (which I'd be willing to bet means she sits there texting during much shorter meals) on the basis that it's not the 'end of decorum'. That is completely stupid. It just doesn't follow.

The article reads as though it was written a woman who, really, knows she's acting badly, but feels she has the right not to be made to feel bad for it. I bet she sits at dinner tables texting, ignoring the people she's supposed to be there with and paying attention too, and gets all hissy when she gets a look for it. If she had backbone she'd at least accept the fact that people might have legitimate reason to comment on her behaviour, but she can't even do that.

So, in summary, I think she's pathetic, awful, and stupid.
Reply 12
Queue jumping is disrespectful to those in the queue. Running past slow people is a plus of being healthy (or less unhealthy). Neither are rude, but she has done wrong to the people she queue-jumped, though I would say it is more an absence of doing a good thing to not let the slow people get somewhere first than it being a bad thing in itself to go past them. It's good to give up your seat on a bus for an old person, but it is not bad to not do so.
Reply 13
Original post by yulebook
I remember the comments section being a huge reason why I stopped sympathising with that newspaper years ago. I obviously still pay attention to it because it targets some niche arts areas that other newspapers rarely cover (except maybe Times of London and purpose-publications) but IMO it's become too "Labour".

The commenters on a lot of articles remind me of that author :lol: I don't think the glancing at your phone thing is rude but I think a lot of the other things she mentioned are.

I'm pretty left wing but find it hard to get on with a lot of other left wingers. They can be self righteous circle jerks to say the least. Then again maybe the Telegraph commenters are the same :lol:

TimmonaPortella
Only a writer in the guardian could possibly describe conning your way past a massive queue of people who are doing it the proper way, or running past people who are clearly moving towards a table to take it, as 'just spirited'.

What an awful woman.

The article is in general totally idiotic. It seems to be premised on the view that, because there are worse kinds of rude behaviour, the kinds she engages in don't matter.

The same goes for the phone comments. She tries to justify her 'glancing at her phone during the course of a three hour meal' (which I'd be willing to bet means she sits there texting during much shorter meals) on the basis that it's not the 'end of decorum'. That is completely stupid. It just doesn't follow.

The article reads as though it was written a woman who, really, knows she's acting badly, but feels she has the right not to be made to feel bad for it. I bet she sits at dinner tables texting, ignoring the people she's supposed to be there with and paying attention too, and gets all hissy when she gets a look for it. If she had backbone she'd at least accept the fact that people might have legitimate reason to comment on her behaviour, but she can't even do that.

So, in summary, I think she's pathetic, awful, and stupid.

I didn't think the glancing at your phone thing was rude though the way she tried to justify it was stupid (probably inflammatory on purpose). I often get texts from my manager to arrange stuff or important ones I should reply to immediately and I wouldn't mind if say a guy I was dating checked his phone all the time though either.

The restaurant thing was ridiculous though.

The woman seems to be deliberately acting like the stereotypical middle class Islington Londoner - I'm moving to London next month oh dear :teehee:

I didn't think the glancing at your phone thing was rude though the way she tried to justify it was stupid (probably inflammatory on purpose). I often get texts from my manager to arrange stuff or important ones I should reply to immediately and I wouldn't mind if say a guy I was dating checked his phone all the time though either.

The restaurant thing was ridiculous though.

The woman seems to be deliberately acting like the stereotypical middle class Islington Londoner - I'm moving to London next month oh dear :teehee:

I dunno, I suppose it depends on the occasion. If I had something important to check, I'd at least say what i was doing, so the people I'm with know I'm not ignoring them to look at facebook or something.

I don't know if it's a particular Islington trait. Is there an Islington stereotype of unashamed bad manners? I think it's more stereotypically New York behaviour than anything else.
Reply 16
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I dunno, I suppose it depends on the occasion. If I had something important to check, I'd at least say what i was doing, so the people I'm with know I'm not ignoring them to look at facebook or something.

I don't know if it's a particular Islington trait. Is there an Islington stereotype of unashamed bad manners? I think it's more stereotypically New York behaviour than anything else.

Yeah, I do that and ask if ok. That's not rude is it? :colondollar:

I have a lot of friends who are Londoners and apparently Islington is stereotypically quite posh, left wing, judgmental, etc. :teehee: And stereotypically Guardian readers too?
The commenters on a lot of articles remind me of that author :lol: I don't think the glancing at your phone thing is rude but I think a lot of the other things she mentioned are.

I'm pretty left wing but find it hard to get on with a lot of other left wingers. They can be self righteous circle jerks to say the least. Then again maybe the Telegraph commenters are the same :lol:

The term "left-wing" is too broad in European culture. Soon "right-wing" will only consist of people who want to no taxes.

ALL newspaper commenters have problems but I remember the newspaper starting to be too "Labour" and deciding to move on to more "Lib Dem" newspapers.

Maybe it's gotten better since it expanded to the US, but then I'd dislike it if it became to Americanised.
Reply 18
Original post by WoodyMKC

My spirit animal

Quick Reply

Latest