The Student Room Group

Can people with learning difficulites be as smart as other A* people?

I say this as I have multiple disabilities/learning difficulittes and I always feel out of place with everyone.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mihael_Keehl
I say this as I have multiple disabilities/learning difficulittes and I always feel out of place with everyone.

There should be no limits to what you aspire to achieve. Don't think of yourself as not being as intelligent as others, you are, you just have more challenges to overcome than they do. But I do understand the doubt you're feeling.
What ever your mind can concieve, you can achieve.
Original post by pineneedles
There should be no limits to what you aspire to achieve. Don't think of yourself as not being as intelligent as others, you are, you just have more challenges to overcome than they do. But I do understand the doubt you're feeling.

I am a good student. and I push myself a lot. However it is stupid stuff like reading stuff wrong and mixing lines up.For sure I know a few people more intelliginet than me but I work harder than a lot of them, seems unfair though that I have to put up with such rubbish even though it isn't my fault.

Suppose the same relates to anyone.

Original post by German123
What ever your mind can concieve, you can conceive.

conceive meanding to create?
Original post by pineneedles
there are. I'll never be a basketball player and it doesn't matter how hard I try. Likewise a Nobel prize winning physics professor. It's about appreciating your strengths and working with them.
There's a saying 'if you can dream it, do it' and I think anyone can be successful if they strive and work hard. Just as long as you know your giving it your all and that your achieving :smile: you should be optimistic in what you do.
I know how you feel a bit.

Studying hard is not always enough to get top grades but you know, grades are not everything in life.

Try not to compare yourself to others and work on yourself to be the best that you can be.
In a sense your correct, but we should all try to achieve because that's how the brain's mindset works

Original post by Llamageddon
there are. I'll never be a basketball player and it doesn't matter how hard I try. Likewise a Nobel prize winning physics professor. It's about appreciating your strengths and working with them.

Well, but if you don't try changes are zero.

Look at me for example. Most likely I will never become anything. However the thin change converges to zero if I stop trying. I will for sure try, because what else can one do?

That's very true, but you do have to be willing to push yourself to see what you're capable of, and what your limits are. If you start off with a negative attitude of "Oh, there's no point in trying, I'll never be as good as anyone else." then you'll never be the best you can be.
Do you have dyslexia by any chance? Anyway I think like many I have been in your position of wondering if I can ever be good enough. Yes, there are certain things that require a high skill level that you might not be able to achieve (as stated above). However, if it is to do with A-Levels then I think it is possible. Speaking as a dyslexic, it might take you a bit longer to achieve your own goals but it's ultimately about the effort and hours you put in. If you have picked subjects you enjoy, then it is much easier to put the work in (personal experience but might not apply to everyone). Additionally, remember that intelligence is more than just A*s. I know that last point was sappy but it is true.
Reply 11
They say you need 10,000 hours worth of practice to become an expert in a field; unfortunately for those of us that do have learning difficulties/disabilities the number is bigger. But it's still possible.
YES!!! in my sixth form, one of my friend has some learning difficulties, but she cracked her GCSE's and did well
I know one guy in my year had autism and he managed to get one of the highest in the year for Physics
Original post by lavidastudent
Do you have dyslexia by any chance? Anyway I think like many I have been in your position of wondering if I can ever be good enough. Yes, there are certain things that require a high skill level that you might not be able to achieve (as stated above). However, if it is to do with A-Levels then I think it is possible. Speaking as a dyslexic, it might take you a bit longer to achieve your own goals but it's ultimately about the effort and hours you put in. If you have picked subjects you enjoy, then it is much easier to put the work in (personal experience but might not apply to everyone). Additionally, remember that intelligence is more than just A*s. I know that last point was sappy but it is true.

yes among others.
I agree with you, but like its true that grades define everyone essentially.

Since no one ccanreally credit hard work, only the end product imo.
Original post by Andy98
They say you need 10,000 hours worth of practice to become an expert in a field; unfortunately for those of us that do have learning difficulties/disabilities the number is bigger. But it's still possible.

Oh dear,perhpas if I studied more insted of video games i would be more academic :smile:
I am a good student. and I push myself a lot. However it is stupid stuff like reading stuff wrong and mixing lines up.For sure I know a few people more intelliginet than me but I work harder than a lot of them, seems unfair though that I have to put up with such rubbish even though it isn't my fault.

Good, keep it up. Try not to feel too disheartened though, be proud of your achievements for their own sake and always make as much use of the support available to you. And no, it isn't your fault. I've struggled a fair amount academically, but I see it as positive, because I feel more proud and entitled to what I've achieved than I believe I would if I didn't have to work as hard.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I know one guy in my year had autism and he managed to get one of the highest in the year for Physics

yes but autistics are good at maths as well. Since they have high focus, I don't have high focus but I am decent at maths.

I am a sperg :smile:
Reply 17
Oh dear,perhpas if I studied more insted of video games i would be more academic :smile:

As would I :tongue:
Reply 18
Getting an A* doesn't always mean you're smart, most of the times it just involves regurgitating knowledge. If a person with learning difficulties approaches studying with persistence and commitment, then yes I think you can become smarter.

Exactly this.

Quick Reply

Latest