The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Answer the questions please. Also, see the links I posted, which talks of Pakistanis improving (It was you who was saying that Pakistani Muslims don't improve)

BTW yulebook, where exactly are you in life right now?

From your OWN link

"The educational disadvantage of Pakistani and Bangladeshigroups compared to the White group declined between1991 and 2011 but was still present in 2011."

Your own link supports me more than it supports you...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
Answer the question, please.

I can't work out what word to use to separate out Pakistan/Bangladesh from Indians. Usually the stereotype about middle class Asians or upwards mobility is associated with Hindus, but I don't think Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs tend to be lower class either.
Original post by yulebook
I can't work out what word to use to separate out Pakistan/Bangladesh from Indians. Usually the stereotype about middle class Asians or upwards mobility is associated with Hindus, but I don't think Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs tend to be lower class either.

It really isn't associated with Hindus.... It's only you who is associating someone's class with their religion.

Pakistan's middle class population is higher than India's population as a percentage...

http://tribune.com.pk/story/973649/pakistan-has-18th-largest-middle-class-in-the-world-report/

http://www.dawn.com/news/1140783
It really isn't associated with Hindus.... It's only you who is associating someone's class with their religion.

Pakistan's middle class population is higher than India's population as a percentage...

http://tribune.com.pk/story/973649/pakistan-has-18th-largest-middle-class-in-the-world-report/

http://www.dawn.com/news/1140783

Isn't poverty in India higher among North Indians and Muslims?

Anyway, the figures use dubious sources: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/india-is-poorest-in-south-asia-after-afghanistan-oxford-varsity-study/article6120424.ece

India's data is from 2005, not 2011.
This post has just devolved into people being unnecessarily pedantic over menial and insignificant debates and - from what I can see - people trying to prove that their opinion is "right".

Would be nice to get back on topic...
Original post by yulebook
Isn't poverty in India higher among North Indians and Muslims?

Anyway, the figures use dubious sources: http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/economy/india-is-poorest-in-south-asia-after-afghanistan-oxford-varsity-study/article6120424.ece

India's data is from 2005, not 2011.

Again, your own source proves me right that Pakistan has a higher amount of middle classes as percentage than Indians do...
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Kind of like how black students are more likely to be criminals, and mulsim students are more likely to be terrorists right?

Muslims are also more likely to be criminals in the UK (think of Pakistanis) and a large proportion of Muslims in Europe come from Africa.
Original post by AlexaRivers
This is ridiculous. Just the fact that they are white gives them privilege and 'higher status', albeit unconsciously, over ethnic minorities. The fact that they are underachievers is just their own goddamn fault, if they can't even be bothered to care about their own education.

Theres plenty or reverse discrimination around, all the way up to institutional level as some previous posters have mentioned...
The amount of double standards in this thread...

*Insert stereotypical thread title relating to a statistic about ethnic minorities here* = "Omg, that's so racist. Skin colour has nothing to do with it... we're all human beings!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AlexS101
Because their parents don't value education, and they don't get as many opportunities as other groups to see the value of education?

This is bang on. At such a young age this underachieving does not come from the child, but from the parents. There is still a culture in this country that boys don't need to try hard at school which stems from boys being able to go into well paid manual stable jobs straight from school, needing no qualifications. Unfortunatleey all those jobs have now disappeared. In other cultures, and for girls, however, school is seen as a way to better yourself and is encouraged. This isn't helped by the fact girls develop quicker so find it easier to break away from parental influence and put extra effort in at a young age. Often young boys just don't have the mental age and ability to drive themselves forward without parental support.
Original post by Jimbo1234
That's the one. A few generations living off benefits and these white poor males are beyond gutter trash and don't want to work. When will the liberals and politicians accept that you can't help some people unless you want to brainwash them.

More like a few generations working in jobs that don't require any sort of qualifications which no longer exist...

The culture change happened before benefits were really a thing. Working class boys have traditionally left school early to work in manual jobs, which used to be well paid and stable careers. Hence the culture of not being encouraged at school.
white people wanna be oppressed so badly
Original post by redferry
This is bang on. At such a young age this underachieving does not come from the child, but from the parents. There is still a culture in this country that boys don't need to try hard at school which stems from boys being able to go into well paid manual stable jobs straight from school, needing no qualifications. Unfortunatleey all those jobs have now disappeared. In other cultures, and for girls, however, school is seen as a way to better yourself and is encouraged. This isn't helped by the fact girls develop quicker so find it easier to break away from parental influence and put extra effort in at a young age. Often young boys just don't have the mental age and ability to drive themselves forward without parental support.

Plus the "swat" shaming culture is more prevalent among young males imo. If it wasn't for my educated parents and my dad being a scientist I doubt I would have ended up doing a physics degree which is what motivated me throughout school. It didn't matter that I wasn't very good at writing essays or that I was on the dyslexic spectrum since I could do maths and get my head around logical scientific concepts. They made sure I did and encouraged me to do well at maths etc.

I can remember when I got 100% in a science test in year 8 and I was basically bullied and I felt so ashamed. I deliberately got stuff wrong in later tests because of that. You wont get that in private school :-/ This is also why grammar schools and private schools are bad. We need state schools to have a large chunk of academically focused children from what you could call middle-class backgrounds since it does actually help lift other less privileged children up.

Original post by tanyapotter

Class exists as well race, gender etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter

B-b-b-b-but their white privilege? B-b-b-b-but the patriarchy?
Again, your own source proves me right that Pakistan has a higher amount of middle classes as percentage than Indians do...

No. The data used isn't valid. I could do the same to prove that Pakistan is some undeveloped backwater, but CBA.
Original post by TheMoralStruggle
Theres plenty or reverse discrimination around, all the way up to institutional level as some previous posters have mentioned...

Reverse discrimination doesn't exist. Stop lying to yourself.
Original post by redferry
More like a few generations working in jobs that don't require any sort of qualifications which no longer exist...

The culture change happened before benefits were really a thing. Working class boys have traditionally left school early to work in manual jobs, which used to be well paid and stable careers. Hence the culture of not being encouraged at school.

Yup, very true. And more jobs will go that way as automation comes in and those who lose their jobs are not skilled enough to get the few, highly technical jobs made by automation. The UK really needs to push for a one child policy at this rate.
Original post by AlexaRivers
The fact that they are underachievers is just their own goddamn fault, if they can't even be bothered to care about their own education.

The fact they are underachievers makes them very bitter. Very bitter indeed. They even blame the foreigners for taking their grades now.

One of them even tried to mock me for doing accountancy courses once I graduated; education seems to be an alien concept to them. I mean they are so uneducated they don't realise that to become a chartered accountant you HAVE to do eduation once you have graduated; it isn't possible to get it at the time. The experience requirements cannot be met by a 21 year old. See this thread for their hatred of the successful-their bitterness is actually very sweet.

They don't care about education, try to mock those with a good one, and then blame the foreigners when they can't get a job:biggrin:

Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
You have taken my comment way too offensive - in my experience some white males really do not care about education - a fact you probably don't like it but I'm sorry you've got to hear the truth

@VergeofInsanity
@yulebook
@leinad2012
@IamJacksContempt

Carslberg don't do chavs, but if they did not even they would be able to top you lot:biggrin:
@i<3milkshake
I'd just take a copy of your DNA and grow one in a lab.
@i<3milkshake
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending