The Student Room Group

Do i drop french??

I've been doing AS french for about 6 weeks now and it turns out i don't enjoy it at all, i don't know whether to drop it now so i can focus more on my other subjects (history, geography, psychology) which i am enjoying. I'm not planning on doing languages at university or anything related to them, i actually want to do psychology and i don't think french will help me with that.

I dont think i could get a good grade in French and I don't feel motivated to keep doing it, so i dont know whether to stick with it until i've done my AS or to drop it now?
Reply 1
I guess you have kind of answered your question already. In your second year you generally have to drop one anyway. Personally I would only drop it if you think it will interfere with your other subjects. If it really effects your focus and brings you down in the day knowing you have to go to French then I would say drop it. If not then try and see it through whether you think you get a good grade or not. You might surprise yourself.

You need to ask yourself why did you choose it in the first place?

Are you not enjoying it because your not doing well?
If so study more or get some extra tutor time.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :smile: I think if I dropped it I would have a lot more time to focus on my other subjects and do well in them, but at the same time I'm also thinking it might be better to keep doing it to AS so I'll have more to offer when I'm applying to uni (but how helpful is an AS in french when I'm applying for a psychology course?). I only chose it because I thought I was good at it, but the jump from GCSE to A level proved me wrong...
I didn't really like French throughout most of my AS year and felt like dropping it, but never did because I didn't prefer any other subjects over it/didn't know if I'd like the subject I may have decided to change to, and it was too late eventually. French is quite hard at the start as it's quite a step up from GCSE (depending on how hard you worked for that, which is probably not very much for most people). I had AS mocks in January and I didn't do too badly so I felt a bit better about it. But then came the real exams and I felt like I'd completely failed the speaking, however my results said otherwise.

Now that you're 6 weeks in and you can't change subjects, I would say carry on with it. Also, 6 weeks isn't that much, it should get better.

I'd echo what the person above said- if you're doing badly, work more. I'd recommend using the Duolingo app. Work on grammar (subjunctive/learn all the tenses ASAP if you don't know them), watch French news here daily (lasts about 2 mins) and read articles here (weekly).
Reply 4
Yeah thats why I thought I enjoyed it at GCSE, it was the one subject I didn't have to do any work for but still easily got an A*. The reason I chose French is because I thought I was good at it but the jump from GCSE to A level made me realise that I'm actually really not. The main issue is that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy my other subjects, but I think it would be useful to do AS so I have more to offer when I'm applying to uni. I think I should wait a while before I decide so I can be more sure. Thank you for the links! :smile:
Original post by hgmac
Yeah thats why I thought I enjoyed it at GCSE, it was the one subject I didn't have to do any work for but still easily got an A*. The reason I chose French is because I thought I was good at it but the jump from GCSE to A level made me realise that I'm actually really not. The main issue is that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoy my other subjects, but I think it would be useful to do AS so I have more to offer when I'm applying to uni. I think I should wait a while before I decide so I can be more sure. Thank you for the links! :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EastGuava
Good luck :smile:

thankyou! :smile:
Reply 7
I'd say stick with it. I hated French at the start of AS. Fast forward a year, and now I want to study it at uni. Of course, I'm not saying it'll be the same with you, but I found the course really interesting more as we continued. The AS French course is a fascinating one and I think it's easy to become interested in at least some of it if you endeavour to focus on it. I always thought of it as simply a lesson where we wrote/talked about general issues in the world, except in a different language. Keep going, mon ami. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Qonnor
I'd say stick with it. I hated French at the start of AS. Fast forward a year, and now I want to study it at uni. Of course, I'm not saying it'll be the same with you, but I found the course really interesting more as we continued. The AS French course is a fascinating one and I think it's easy to become interested in at least some of it if you endeavour to focus on it. I always thought of it as simply a lesson where we wrote/talked about general issues in the world, except in a different language. Keep going, mon ami. :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile: that's true it is pretty much discussing issues about the world which are actually interesting topics its just I cannot keep up with it whatsoever in french haha.
I'd be more worried if you didn't have a breakdown a few weeks into AS French. It happens to the best of us :P I stressed about it all year last year, ended up doing no work or 'revision' at all and got an A. 57/60 in the speaking and 34/35 in the big essay. Don't doubt your capabilities, if you got an A at GCSE you must have some skills there. Just keep practising and ask for extra support if necessary

Bon courage :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah thats why I enjoyed it at gcse, it was the one subject I did zero work for and still got an A* easily😂 But now thats not the case anymore and I'm trying to work hard but I just don't enjoy it at all and I honestly don't know if its worth it if I don't enjoy it
If you don't enjoy the subject, please do not keep going to it. There is no point dragging yourself through this year if you're going to hate the subject, as it will absolutely have a knock on effect on your revision and potentially your other subjects.

It'd be better to focus on your other 3 subjects IMO and it's one less to worry about, but realise that you will need to do well in your other subjects as you won't be able to drop one next year.
Reply 12
Original post by Inexorably
If you don't enjoy the subject, please do not keep going to it. There is no point dragging yourself through this year if you're going to hate the subject, as it will absolutely have a knock on effect on your revision and potentially your other subjects.

It'd be better to focus on your other 3 subjects IMO and it's one less to worry about, but realise that you will need to do well in your other subjects as you won't be able to drop one next year.

Yes thats what I'm thinking. If I worked really hard I could probably get a decent grade in it but I just really have no motivation for french and there are good reasons to keep doing it but I feel like none of those are valid if I don't care about the subject or enjoy it at all?
Original post by hgmac
Yes thats what I'm thinking. If I worked really hard I could probably get a decent grade in it but I just really have no motivation for french and there are good reasons to keep doing it but I feel like none of those are valid if I don't care about the subject or enjoy it at all?

See that's the dilemma, you can work really well to do it but with that underlying knowledge that you know the subject will be useless to you and you don't really want to do it, it will have a knock on effect on how hard you actually work. I would strongly advise just focusing on the other 3 instead, but it is entirely your decision :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Inexorably
See that's the dilemma, you can work really well to do it but with that underlying knowledge that you know the subject will be useless to you and you don't really want to do it, it will have a knock on effect on how hard you actually work. I would strongly advise just focusing on the other 3 instead, but it is entirely your decision :smile:

yeah that's what I think as well, thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending