The Student Room Group

Best Unis for Television Production

I have applied for Television Production at Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Westminister and Ravensbourne.

I am not sure which ones I like the best and which will offer the most job opportunities. Bournemouth has a very good reputation for Television, claiming they are the best. However I feel it must be so much more convenient to live in London for such an industry focused degree!

Any help?
Original post by BethC98
I have applied for Television Production at Portsmouth, Bournemouth, Westminister and Ravensbourne.

I am not sure which ones I like the best and which will offer the most job opportunities. Bournemouth has a very good reputation for Television, claiming they are the best. However I feel it must be so much more convenient to live in London for such an industry focused degree!

Any help?

Hi

I went to Bournemouth University for Television Production and I will say avoid it! They are not the best and the reputation is a myth, I have not met anyone in industry that recommends Bournemouth University. I left after the first year and I am now continuing at Southampton Solent in Television Studio Production.

If you would like to have restricted creativity and be depressed, then BU is perfect. I learnt hardly anything at BU, as a matter of fact the standard of work is worse than what I was doing at college. The course is ran like a production line, film after film after film and you have no time to learn new stuff. At times we had just 1 week to put an entire TV show together, with no prior knowledge of the genre. The course structure is awful. You only learn AVID Media Composer in editing software and you don't learn studio lighting, you have to rely on technicians to sort that out.

Even though I have just started Southampton Solent I have had far more opportunities than at Bournemouth, paid opportunities. I've worked on a video for Carnival Cruises and I am about to work on the filming of the graduation ceremonies. There are also opportunities to film at Glastonbury and Bestival in the summer. We also have some brilliant guest lecturers, recently we had the editor of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.

Just don't go to Bournemouth University.
Original post by KBradders
Hi

I went to Bournemouth University for Television Production and I will say avoid it! They are not the best and the reputation is a myth, I have not met anyone in industry that recommends Bournemouth University. I left after the first year and I am now continuing at Southampton Solent in Television Studio Production.

If you would like to have restricted creativity and be depressed, then BU is perfect. I learnt hardly anything at BU, as a matter of fact the standard of work is worse than what I was doing at college. The course is ran like a production line, film after film after film and you have no time to learn new stuff. At times we had just 1 week to put an entire TV show together, with no prior knowledge of the genre. The course structure is awful. You only learn AVID Media Composer in editing software and you don't learn studio lighting, you have to rely on technicians to sort that out.

Even though I have just started Southampton Solent I have had far more opportunities than at Bournemouth, paid opportunities. I've worked on a video for Carnival Cruises and I am about to work on the filming of the graduation ceremonies. There are also opportunities to film at Glastonbury and Bestival in the summer. We also have some brilliant guest lecturers, recently we had the editor of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.

Just don't go to Bournemouth University.

Hey!

Im constantly seeing bad reviews about Southampton Solent but after the open day I thought the course I want to study (CGI) looked great and really suited my aspirations / way of working.

Can you give some insight into everything about the media department from a students perspective? Teaching, facilities etc..

Cheers :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophieann14
Hey!

Im constantly seeing bad reviews about Southampton Solent but after the open day I thought the course I want to study (CGI) looked great and really suited my aspirations / way of working.

Can you give some insight into everything about the media department from a students perspective? Teaching, facilities etc..

Cheers :smile:

Hi

I don't know much about the CGI course so I can't help you there.

On my course though the teaching is generally good, there is one unit I am having issues with but you get that wherever you go. The university has a relaxed atmosphere and I find most of the people very friendly. The Business Start Up course ran by Solent Creatives is very good. The facilities for my course are very good, we have 4K cameras and the main TV studio can run 9-10 HD cameras. The biggest pull for Solent is the opportunities available, Solent Creatives is an agency where you can get paid work through. That also includes CGI work as well not just film. For film/TV students there are also opportunities to film at music festivals like Glastonbury.

Sorry I cannot give too much info as I have only recently just started at Solent. I heard mixed things about Solent and heard great things about Bournemouth, so far I have only understood that the comments about Bournemouth are coming from folks who have never stepped foot in the place or are ambassadors who are paid to give the university a good name.

Remember though that all courses are different despite having the same name, do the course that suits you best. Don't follow so-called prestige.
Reply 4
Is anyone planning on taking television and broadcasting at Portsmouth or need the media composer effects and editing essential books from the avid learning series of books? I'm selling mine, brand new and still in wrapping.
Original post by BethC98

Any help?

With MediaCity now going strong in Salford http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/television-and-radio is more likely to get you contacts in industry than most other courses (the course is taught AT mediacity).
Ravensbourne ALWAYS has been the gold standard. Bournemouth has made huge changes and now comes a close second along with Winchester.. do Not go to Solent... "all the gear and no idea" with irrelvant lecturers that have no 'real' life experience (one last 'worked' in 1970!) They recently lost another (the only!) decent lecturer. They also no longer even film at the festivals (but they wont tell you that on all their Promos!) - they used to film several for free, but even lost these. Solent is NOT regarded within the industry and I have never got work with my Solent tag, despite my friends at the others (above) all getting interveiws. I has spent a fortune on all the equioment, but they have very low academics and even lower acceptance standards and sadly you only realise that once you start.
If you cant get into Ravensboune (and most people do not) take a look at Winchester and Bournemouth (both of which also have Genuine work placements with REAL places).
Original post by ExSolentStudent
Ravensbourne ALWAYS has been the gold standard. Bournemouth has made huge changes and now comes a close second along with Winchester.. do Not go to Solent... "all the gear and no idea" with irrelvant lecturers that have no 'real' life experience (one last 'worked' in 1970!) They recently lost another (the only!) decent lecturer. They also no longer even film at the festivals (but they wont tell you that on all their Promos!) - they used to film several for free, but even lost these. Solent is NOT regarded within the industry and I have never got work with my Solent tag, despite my friends at the others (above) all getting interveiws. I has spent a fortune on all the equioment, but they have very low academics and even lower acceptance standards and sadly you only realise that once you start.
If you cant get into Ravensboune (and most people do not) take a look at Winchester and Bournemouth (both of which also have Genuine work placements with REAL places).

We still do film at festivals as applications have just opened up. A load of nonsense written there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending