The Student Room Group

What are the good and bad parts of University?

Im just interested to know

Scroll to see replies

Good - everything but the work
Bad - the work
Good-everything
Bad-nothing
Reply 3
Original post by Out_of_the_Blue
Im just interested to know

Off top of my head first bad things that come to mind are:

1. Chance of getting an exam timetable that will completely f*** you and give you like no time to revise between exams

2. Being made to do group projects with people that are absolute morons / lazy c****s

Everything else about uni is great, and if you have the will to make it so, it will easily be the best time of your life.
The only bad times are deadlines, I once had 13,500 words in on one day, you will never do any of these essays in advance
Original post by greggyt94
The only bad times are deadlines, I once had 13,500 words in on one day, you will never do any of these essays in advance

whaaaaaaaaat !?
are your people crazy :0
Good- Milkshakes. there's something special about uni milkshakes. they're best in the world.
bad- VP's/Sabbs- they do **** all
Reply 7
Original post by MAINE.
Off top of my head first bad things that come to mind are:

1. Chance of getting an exam timetable that will completely f*** you and give you like no time to revise between exams

2. Being made to do group projects with people that are absolute morons / lazy c****s

Everything else about uni is great, and if you have the will to make it so, it will easily be the best time of your life.

2 is so true haha
its really frickin hard
you'll meet some really great folks
Relatively Comprehensive Generalization (possible contradiction there) of University Below [Contains strong language]:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3701867&p=60375691#post60375691
(edited 8 years ago)
Good: Nightlife; independence; a lot more freedom with what work you do and when.
Bad: It's difficult; you can't rely on parents making food when you cba to cook; adult things in general, like having to shop and stuff.
hi,
my older bro goes

the good: social life is amazingggg
make great friends
your gonna get a good job after (likely)

the bad; work can get stressful
very expensive (living on campus cost lot)

that the main points
For me:

Good: Independence and space from family and friends
Course content being stimulating
Feeling as though I'm getting my money's worth
Getting more prepared for other things like a postgrad degree and a long-term job

Bad: The amount of deadlines
Feeling as though I'm not getting my money's worth
Being away from people you like (family and friends) for a long time.
The debt and loads of people graduate, a degree doesn't often make you an ideal candidate for a job :frown:
Original post by EllainKahlo
For me:

Good: Independence and space from family and friends
Course content being stimulating
Feeling as though I'm getting my money's worth
Getting more prepared for other things like a postgrad degree and a long-term job

Bad: The amount of deadlines
Feeling as though I'm not getting my money's worth
Being away from people you like (family and friends) for a long time.

You'll never get your money's worth. University is essentially a cash injection to corporations (all the kids that have money to spend from student loans), and the source of salaries of academics. That's why university is so encouraged in contemporary UK academia.

TL;DR Uni (in its present form) exists to serve the pedagogical interests of academics and to provide benefits to corporations.
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
You'll never get your money's worth. University is essentially a cash injection to corporations (all the kids that have money to spend from student loans), and the source of salaries of academics. That's why university is so encouraged in contemporary UK academia.

TL;DR Uni (in its present form) exists to serve the pedagogical interests of academics and to provide benefits to corporations.

Thank you, I feel totally enlightened now. Gonna drop out soon :tongue:
Original post by EllainKahlo
Thank you, I feel totally enlightened now. Gonna drop out soon :tongue:

This is exactly the reason why kids are rushing off to university, and wasting 3 + years doing things they could do themselves or with a tutor in a shorter time period. And wasting money (loans will never 100% enable you to support yourself)

Food for thought. Look at Imperial's Mathematical Finance Msc and a typical Econ and Maths/ Mathematical Finance/ etc... degree and tell me if the difference in the quantity of content at Bsc and Msc justify the Bsc being at least 2 years longer.
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
This is exactly the reason why kids are rushing off to university, and wasting 3 + years doing things they could do themselves or with a tutor in a shorter time period. And wasting money (loans will never 100% enable you to support yourself)

Food for thought. Look at Imperial's Mathematical Finance Msc and a typical Econ and Maths/ Mathematical Finance/ etc... degree and tell me if the difference in the quantity of content at Bsc and Msc justify the Bsc being at least 2 years longer.

No thanks.
bad: lack of help for assignments. :angry:
Good: learning lots of new things, actually motivated to do the work, surrounded by people with similar interests
Bad: I don't drink so I don't go to a lot of parties because being sober around a lot of drunk people isn't fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending