The Student Room Group

Would you speak to a former school bully?

Scroll to see replies

I wasnt bullied to any great extent but I ended up doing some work with one of the "class bullies" from my school recently (small world eh). Was actually pretty funny catching up regardless of how we got along in school. (He was driving dumper trucks for a building company and my garage had all there trucks in for servicing). Used to meet a lot of the old bully guys in the pub, before I moved to the other side of Scotland to go to college. Occasionally said hi and discussed what we where up too, never had any unpleasant run ins to be honest.
Yes and I already have.
Original post by Uyi 95
I have had like 100 bullies and i have a grudge on all of them. I avoid my ex bullies in uni like the plaque.

Also one of my former bullies is now famous.

You had people bully you in Uni?

SMH I thought by that age people would have grown up!
Reply 43
I wouldn't be friends with them but neither would I hold a grudge. No reason to let their hatred afect my life any longer. In fact, I've met my main bully 2 years ago and he nodded at me. And funny enough, my other bully's boyfriend and baby daddy(they were together at the time) used to ask for my number and stalk me for about a year. Karma's a bitch.
Reply 44
No, i'm not bullied in uni. The people who bullied me in school, about 5 of them go to my current uni (the uni i go is too bait)
No! Unless I really have to! But whenever I see some of them I would just get really angry. I just can't comprehend how some people can be so selfish. To be honest, I've seen some of the people who bullied me and they're pretty much the same. They've just gotten older. I shudder of the thought of them having children and passing on the tradition.
Original post by Uyi 95
No, i'm not bullied in uni. The people who bullied me in school, about 5 of them go to my current uni (the uni i go is too bait)

Which uni do you go to?

F*** that, bail and move to a different uni
Yes I have done. I got bullied a bit in year 7/ 8/ 9 but it stopped by then & most people were OK with me after that so there's no one I hold a grudge against since then.
Well my main bullies were that type who dossed around and thought they were hard by being ***** so no don't plan on seeing them again, nor will I considering their achievements. Rest were general teenage boys trying to act cool and bully the strange one though this lasted to like yr 9.

Resulted in me just spending a lot of my free time on online games. Met a lot of nice people that way so that kept me going.
(edited 8 years ago)
Going slightly off thread to talk about my own experiences. Even though I hate bullying, and have indeed been bullied, I do wonder, that in hindsight, at 24, that I may perhaps been been overly sensitive, naive, and even "Sheltered" as a kid/ teen; coming from a fairly strict (but liberal) family of teachers. Much of this "bullying" was in fact quite banterey, others wasn't however. It was mainly sneering comments about my interests, sometimes my appearance (moobs were often a talking point, still struggle with them, despite being an avid cyclist), calling me "posh" and criticising the way I talk, etc.
It might seem strange to many on here, but I (a guy), was actually bullied quite a bit by girls. Some chavvy type girls, others stuck-up, bitchy cliques. Mainly bitchy/ catty comments like "You're actually going to die a virgin", "You're so ugly, why would anyone like you", and other things along those lines. Once a couple of girls I was sat next to, started touching my legs in class, making me embarrassed and leave class, and going on to start catty rumours of me "Cumming my pants".

Aside from a few brawls in Primary school, I don't recall ever being properly physically bullied in school however.

To answer the question: I think it depends really. Obviously in work/ public situations, I would speak to them; an old bully works at a village pub a few miles away. I went there with a few friends a couple of years ago, and he did ask after me. Can't bring myself to forgive him though. In terms of Facebook, I will accept minor "bullies" in primary school, as I think we all accept Primary school doesn't really define us. With regard to Secondary school, I will accept people who were either "friends of bullies"/ "might've joined in once or twice"/ "simply didn't like much"/ "Found annoying". The 6-7 bullies who were the real instigators/ really seemed to dislike me, I will never accept however. There was a guy who throughout secondary school, who bullied me quite a lot; probably mainly through musical jealously. He's a fairly average to above average Guitarist, and would go on about me, saying: "You play Clarinet, that's a Girl's instrument" and "You play Saxophone, that's an old people's instrument". I'd say back: "You're a Guitarist, there aren't a million of those already!" It went on and off throughout secondary school. However, at college, that all seemed to stop. It seems he finally came round to accept our separate interests and we began to chat fairly often!

College and Uni were mainly great though; there were a few knobs, but you get them anywhere!

In summary: I think it's all very much subjective. You have to look into how and why certain people "bullied" you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sure.

I used to hold grudges against them, but I just don't care anymore.
Reply 51
Original post by loveleest
Would you speak to them even if they were a b*tch to you in school and they wanted to be your friend after you left school?

Or would you hold a grudge?

I don't really hold grudges for the most part. When I was younger I was often extremely obnoxious and it's pretty understandable that people picked on me. If I had been a super shy kid always minding my own business then that's one thing but I was a total know-it-all, was quick to anger, was always upset. People who had picked on me for that to some extent I befriended later when I grew out of this.
A couple of people who bothered me in secondary school I guess I do hold small grudges against, but generally I am more liable to dislike someone just based on their general personality than if they happened to be mean to me at some point, provided they stopped being lol.
Original post by Phipp91
Going slightly off thread to talk about my own experiences. Even though I hate bullying, and have indeed been bullied, I do wonder, that in hindsight, at 24, that I may perhaps been been overly sensitive, naive, and even "Sheltered" as a kid/ teen; coming from a fairly strict (but liberal) family of teachers. Much of this "bullying" was in fact quite banterey, others wasn't however. It was mainly sneering comments about my interests, sometimes my appearance (moobs were often a talking point, still struggle with them, despite being an avid cyclist), calling me "posh" and criticising the way I talk, etc.
It might seem strange to many on here, but I (a guy), was actually bullied quite a bit by girls. Some chavvy type girls, others stuck-up, bitchy cliques. Mainly bitchy/ catty comments like "You're actually going to die a virgin", "You're so ugly, why would anyone like you", and other things along those lines. Once a couple of girls I was sat next to, started touching my legs in class, making me embarrassed and leave class, and going on to start catty rumours of me "Cumming my pants".

Aside from a few brawls in Primary school, I don't recall ever being properly being physically bullied in school however.

To answer the question: I think it depends really. Obviously in work/ public situations, I would speak to them; an old bully works at a village pub a few miles away. I went to with a few friends a couple of years ago, and did ask after me. Can't bring myself to forgive him though. In terms of Facebook, I will accept minor "bullies" in primary school, as I think we all accept Primary school doesn't really define us. With regard to Secondary school, I will accept people who were either "friends of bullies"/ "might've joined in once or twice"/ "simply didn't like much"/ "Found annoying". The 6-7 bullies who were the real instigators/ really seemed to dislike me, I will never accept however. There was a guy who throughout secondary school, bullied me quite a lot; probably mainly through musical jealously. He's a fairly average to above average Guitarist, and would go on about me, saying: "You play Clarinet, that's a Girl's instrument" and "You play Saxophone, that's an old people's instrument". I'd say back: "You're a Guitarist, there aren't a million of those already!" It went on and off throughout secondary school. However, at college, that all seemed to stop. It seems he finally came round to accept our separate interests and we began to chat fairly often!

College and Uni were mainly great though; there were a few knobs, but you get them anywhere!

In summary: I think it's all very much subjective. You have to look into how and why certain people "bullied" you.

I don't think most of what you experienced could be constituted as bullying in the traditional sense except maybe the comments off some of the females you mentioned that could have been intentionally aggressive. If it was intentionally aggressive then yes, that is bullying. Friendly banter isn't bullying but that is subjective depending on how secure you are as a person.

I can't really speak for anyone else posting here but there were a chavvy group of lads who always used to trip me up in corridors, kick footballs into my face and try and scare me in free time. I also had to deal with lads who would take the mick out of my school work (as in he would mock my answers to questions) even though I always got high marks and a girl who caused bitchy crap with me who I eventually ended up smacking.

I would constitute most of that as bullying because it was aggressive and unprovoked behaviour.
Yeah I had some of that type of bullying, i.e the tripping up, kicking footballs etc. Also other people mocking answers to questions in class too. Once when that happened, I simply kicked their football onto the roof lol!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Phipp91
Yeah I had some of that type of bullying, i.e the tripping up, kicking footballs etc. Also other people mocking answers to questions in class too.

Ah it sucked didn't it? Probably jealous or something.

HS was such a load of rubbish.
Possibly. Although bullies do try to hide jealousy very well.

It makes you wonder what thrill they're actually getting from doing it?

It's all very well and good to talk about it from the perspective of a 24 year old, but can it all really be attributed to immaturity? If we, for a year, were to be placed back into exactly the same environment as the secondary school we went to, it makes you wonder what the consequences would be?
Original post by Phipp91
Possibly. Although bullies do try to hide jealousy very well.

It makes you wonder what thrill they're actually getting from doing it?

It's all very well and good to talk about it from the perspective of a 24 year old, but can it all really be attributed to immaturity? If we, for a year, were to be placed back into exactly the same environment as the secondary school we went to, it makes you wonder what the consequences would be?

It depends what kind of school you went to, I guess. I often got accused of being 'posh' just becoz I don't talk leik a chav innit brav. I suppose it helped that my mother was a teacher and we lived on the outskirts of my hometown in one of the more affluent areas. When other kids got excited about going to Castlerigg and Disney Land my family were taking me to Disneyworld and Spain and on cruises and other such holidays. My high school was in a very rough area and I only got sent there because of my special needs.

I have no idea what my bullies got out of bullying me, I can speculate from what I know of their family backgrounds but I'm no psychologist and I suspect maybe it's just a sense of screwed up kinship? Not a clue. They're all still thick as thieves 5 years from leaving HS and all have the same sorts of attitude (meathead/ drug abusing/ racist/ homophobic/ sexist ect ect)

Tbh I don't think 5 or even 10 years is enough for some people to change. Some stay like that forever.
I would offer them my lunch money and back of my underpants for old times sake
Hold a grudge? I'd shake the man's hand be like "AY thanks for that free tuition you gave me in school", this man just taught me how to stand up for myself and stop bein a lil bitch. I'd buy that man a baseball bat and tell him to watch his back cuz I got his front. Yo I would invite that man for a cup of coffee at Costa and what ever cake he wants, hell if he wants me to pay him for the lessons he taught me I'll do it.
Reply 59
oh wow, how did that happen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending