The Student Room Group

What could I possibly study? Suggestions would be apprechiated

I like science subjects and studying something science-related would be interesting. I am quite not sure am I intelligent enough thou.

My IB subjects are: HL math, physics, chemistry, biology (yeah, I love science subjects), SL language A, English B and business and management.
My grades are good-ish, I have currenlty 7 (on the IB scale 1-7) on everything expect biology that is 6, but of course they may change later.

However what science related I could study that could likely get me a job? (I guess I need to think about that aspect too... :frown: )
And what would not be too intelligence-requiring? (Aka difficult)

Thanks for reading!
Reply 1
any pure science degree will get you a job

school's will be drooling all over you
Reply 2
Original post by z33
any pure science degree will get you a job

school's will be drooling all over you

Really? Because pure science is exactly what I'd love to do. However, study counselor whom I spoke with said that no, please choose anything else than pure science, and my mom wants me to get "real job" (not sure what is the definition for that).

It seems I will need to search deeper into this. Damn, even the tought of applying is scary.

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 3
Original post by Emilia1320
Really? Because pure science is exactly what I'd love to do. However, study counselor whom I spoke with said that no, please choose anything else than pure science, and my mom wants me to get "real job" (not sure what is the definition for that).

It seems I will need to search deeper into this. Damn, even the tought of applying is scary.

Thanks for the reply!

hmmm well if you do pure chemistry
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_chemistry.htm

physics
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_physics.htm

biology
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_biology.htm

good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply!

I don't see what's wrong with pure sciences. There are very good job prospects for science graduates. You're not limited to academia, you can go into industry or consultancy or a whole host of other unrelated disciplines that have a need for numerate, logical graduates. I also don't know what your mother's definition of a "real job" is but there are plenty of great jobs you can get with a science degree. If pure science is what you want to do then go for it.
Reply 5

That doesn't look half as bad she made it sound like. Then again, she was only a substitute so she might not have been trained study counselor, maybe she simply didnt know about things and gave biased information.

Thanks! I will need some luck, I just hope to get into decent mid-tier university and get a degree and then job that I actually enjoy. A physics degree would be awesome, I have for long time wished I could study physics further than high school.
Reply 6
That doesn't look half as bad she made it sound like. Then again, she was only a substitute so she might not have been trained study counselor, maybe she simply didnt know about things and gave biased information.

Thanks! I will need some luck, I just hope to get into decent mid-tier university and get a degree and then job that I actually enjoy. A physics degree would be awesome, I have for long time wished I could study physics further than high school.

you have many options with a physics degree - i hope you do get in! :smile:
Reply 7
You should also consider engineering. Your grades are really good and Engineers are in high demand! Especially Mechanical Engineers. Have you considered it? :smile: :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by sherace
You should also consider engineering. Your grades are really good and Engineers are in high demand! Especially Mechanical Engineers. Have you considered it? :smile: :smile:

No I haven't. I havent considered anything seriously yet. To be honest my knowledge on different fields is rather low, I am kind of lost with this. I made this thread to get some directions on what kind of areas and programs I could look at.
Thank you for the suggestion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending