The Student Room Group

Mood self-assessment quiz

so I've not been feeling myself recently and my bf is currently suffering from depression, anxiety and for the first time, self harmed on tuesday.

I don't think I am dealing with it well as i constantly stress and worry and I think i had 2 panic attacks today (fast heart beating, couldn't breathe, loss of control- i just lay down on my bed). So I went on the NHS website and looked up how to deal with stress and ended up on a mood assessment.

Here's your depression score 19 (0-24)
Based on your responses to questions 1-8, you are experiencing many symptoms seen in depression but only an experienced health professional can tell for sure.You should make an appointment to see your GP over the next few days to a week or call NHS 111.They can help you and offer some form of treatment.

Here's your anxiety score 20(0-21)
Based on your responses to questions 10-16, you are experiencing many symptoms seen in anxiety. This is probably having a big impact on your daily life and you may also be experiencing physical symptoms. Make an appointment with your GP to discuss how you’re feeling. There are talking therapies that can help.

do you think i should get help?
Those kind of tests can be useful to people unsure about what they're going through means but they are still limited in their helpfulness as they do not replace a trip to a doctor. I would definitely say with such high scores that it's worth seeing your doctor especially as you mention suffering from panic attacks. How long have you felt like this? If it's been a few weeks or longer then all the more reason to suspect that this might be a problem you need to address that won't go away on its own.
Reply 2
I think both you and your boyfriend need to go and get help
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
Those kind of tests can be useful to people unsure about what they're going through means but they are still limited in their helpfulness as they do not replace a trip to a doctor. I would definitely say with such high scores that it's worth seeing your doctor especially as you mention suffering from panic attacks. How long have you felt like this? If it's been a few weeks or longer then all the more reason to suspect that this might be a problem you need to address that won't go away on its own.

Ive felt like this for about a month but I only had a panic attack yesterday. I don't know if I am just over reacting? I just don't know how to cope and I think its affecting me mentally and physically. e.g. I cant concentrate, headaches, fidgeting, tired etc
Reply 4
Original post by John55
I think both you and your boyfriend need to go and get help

I am trying to get him to go to a counsellor/tell someone.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I am trying to get him to go to a counsellor/tell someone.

Maybe you could go together or something, it's really hard to have the confidence to go and seek help when your depressed so maybe you and him would find it easier if you both went together. I've refused to go to counseling before so I can kind of understand the mindset, maybe, I don't know your boyfriend and I don't want to claim I have depression, but maybe he'd be more likely to accept to go if you both went together, if that's possible...
Reply 6
Original post by John55
Maybe you could go together or something, it's really hard to have the confidence to go and seek help when your depressed so maybe you and him would find it easier if you both went together. I've refused to go to counseling before so I can kind of understand the mindset, maybe, I don't know your boyfriend and I don't want to claim I have depression, but maybe he'd be more likely to accept to go if you both went together, if that's possible...

he lives too far away, its really difficult.
Reply 7
he lives too far away, its really difficult.

Don't you guys have friends close to you that you could go with?
Reply 8
Original post by John55
Don't you guys have friends close to you that you could go with?

he's really difficult and won't tell anyone whats going on with him, hence why i am so worried. I don't really want to bother anyone with my problems tbh, esp him
Reply 9
he's really difficult and won't tell anyone whats going on with him, hence why i am so worried. I don't really want to bother anyone with my problems tbh, esp him

I still think you should definitely go to counseling if your having panic attacks. Then maybe if you end up in a better state of mind then you can focus more on making your boyfriend get help. Thing is it'll probably take some time before counseling starts helping you so, can't you just tell the friends he has near him that he has depression if he's refusing to?
Original post by John55
I still think you should definitely go to counseling if your having panic attacks. Then maybe if you end up in a better state of mind then you can focus more on making your boyfriend get help. Thing is it'll probably take some time before counseling starts helping you so, can't you just tell the friends he has near him that he has depression if he's refusing to?

i wouldn't do that to him, he'd go ape. plus his mates are are dicks
Reply 11
i wouldn't do that to him, he'd go ape. plus his mates are are dicks

If his mates were nice people then he'd probably have forgiven you for it if in the long run it helped him, that's why I suggested it. Are his mates possibly somewhat part of the problem with him refusing to get help?
Original post by John55
If his mates were nice people then he'd probably have forgiven you for it if in the long run it helped him, that's why I suggested it. Are his mates possibly somewhat part of the problem with him refusing to get help?

i don't think they're that supportive and they're the 'lad' type if that explains it. He hasn't told his closest mate which idk means shows how he doesnt feel comfortable with them
Reply 13
i don't think they're that supportive and they're the 'lad' type if that explains it. He hasn't told his closest mate which idk means shows how he doesnt feel comfortable with them

That's pretty much what I was getting at, as in, I was implying that him not seeking help may be to do with the fact that his friend's might be the kind of people who would think it isn't 'manly' to go and get help.
Original post by John55
That's pretty much what I was getting at, as in, I was implying that him not seeking help may be to do with the fact that his friend's might be the kind of people who would think it isn't 'manly' to go and get help.

yeah, idk what to do
Reply 15
yeah, idk what to do

Is he close to his family?
Reply 16
yeah, idk what to do

Did you get the message I sent? I've never PM'ed anyone before so, I just might take a minute to work it out because I suck badly at using computers...
Original post by John55
Did you get the message I sent? I've never PM'ed anyone before so, I just might take a minute to work it out because I suck badly at using computers...

yh

Quick Reply

Latest